Laptop Concept

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
24 replies to this topic

#1 Guest_Han-Da_*

Guest_Han-Da_*
  • Guests

Posted 02 July 2008 - 04:13 PM

I am proposing to design a laptop that does not contribute to bad posture. All laptop designs are not very ergonomic in the sense that people have to bend to use the laptops. The more time you spend on it, the more likely you are to start having problems. Using it in your lap is too low for your neck, causing neck aches, putting it on a table, the screen is often still a tad low, and key board too high, this may cause carpal tunnel.

I hope my design will solve the problems people deal with when it comes to posture and laptops. =] I hope to start sketching up ideas soon! Yay.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Dave`

#2 Guest_Han-Da_*

Guest_Han-Da_*
  • Guests

Posted 03 July 2008 - 06:03 AM

Does this man look familiar?

This is an example of bad posture, although I doubt Quasimodo ever used a laptop but you get what I mean. I am now conducting research on ways to prevent bad posture. Sketches coming soon I suppose =]

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
.Dave`

Attached Files

#3 Guest_Crit7171_*

Guest_Crit7171_*
  • Guests

Posted 03 July 2008 - 07:25 AM

Well heres an idea I'll give away for free since you helped me think of it in a way lol I'm being nice. Still have the concept of a laptop but have the keyboard detachable, and wireless. That way you can play the screen where ever and the keyboard where ever with good posture. I just came up with a design on how that should look but I'm not going to steal it from you. Good luck on the challenge =]

#4 Guest_Han-Da_*

Guest_Han-Da_*
  • Guests

Posted 03 July 2008 - 12:41 PM

hehehe.. I already drew that up =] But thank you! XD

#5 engio

engio

Top Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 624 posts

Posted 03 July 2008 - 03:27 PM

I did this for my major project, named Multi-environment laptop. Click my website and download the PDF-portfolio for more info.

#6 Guest_csven_*

Guest_csven_*
  • Guests

Posted 03 July 2008 - 03:37 PM

(Wondering when someone is going to pair the "keyboard jeans" or some other wearable electronic interface with a set of Glasstrons)

#7 Guest_Han-Da_*

Guest_Han-Da_*
  • Guests

Posted 03 July 2008 - 04:04 PM

@Engio

Wow, cool! I like your portfolio! I really like the laptop idea! Hehe, my idea is different to that, its kinda childish in a way and very primitive, Im looking at it going, "This is going to be fun." =] You'll understand when I sketch it up, thanks for the idea though.

@csven

I knew what Keyboard Jeans was, but never seen Glasstrons before, man, that would be a cool idea. Beats the privacy sock idea for laptops hey?

Attached Files

#8 Guest_TcUK_*

Guest_TcUK_*
  • Guests

Posted 03 July 2008 - 10:57 PM

have a look at this website for an answer to the posture problem http://www.ramsaydesign.co.uk/

#9 Guest_elendil anarion_*

Guest_elendil anarion_*
  • Guests

Posted 04 July 2008 - 12:03 AM

Dell has a Design kind of like this....

http://www.dell.com/...u...;l=en&s=dhs

#10 Guest_Gery_*

Guest_Gery_*
  • Guests

Posted 04 July 2008 - 06:42 PM

check this out: http://www.logitech....d...90&cl=us,en

#11 Guest_spook_*

Guest_spook_*
  • Guests

Posted 05 July 2008 - 02:15 PM

Just want you all to know, I'm also entering a laptop looking at ergonomics, similarly to Han-Da. This is a uni project for me. A friend from uni referred me to this comp after talking to him about my project. I just don't want to appear like I'm stealing Han-Da's idea.

so credit to Han-Da and Engio who have also identified how un-ergonomic laptops are, and the need for them to be redesigned.

#12 Guest_Han-Da_*

Guest_Han-Da_*
  • Guests

Posted 07 July 2008 - 10:50 AM

RESEARCH

Thanks for the inspiration, Ive added some of those images to my research, basically these are the directions that I will dabble with. Basically finding a way to fix the hip and waist ratios of laptops.

So a couple of things I intend to work with is:

- Possible Screen adjustments
- Forms of elevation for the screen
- Height adjustments
- Keyboard Placement
- Ergonomics+Aesthetics

(Very broad, I know)

=] Dave

Attached Files

#13 Guest_Han-Da_*

Guest_Han-Da_*
  • Guests

Posted 07 July 2008 - 11:06 AM

Idea Generation

Just some quick sketches, forgive my scanner, its not very good with colour.

Just thinking of ways to raise the screen for a better viewing. Working mechanisms will be developed if the concept gets pass ideation =]

Attached Files

#14 Guest_newt @ MWE_*

Guest_newt @ MWE_*
  • Guests

Posted 07 July 2008 - 01:29 PM

Hey

I like the ergonomic analysis approach, however, you may want to do a little further research into some of the stats you have.

For example, the 90 degree straight posture is not true. It's much better to have between a 95-100 degree posture to avoid compressing the spine (With this said, it also really depends on how the chair alligns the spine).

Avoiding neck craning is a really good approach, I am interested to see where this is going.

Hope this helps your research a little bit.

#15 Guest_Han-Da_*

Guest_Han-Da_*
  • Guests

Posted 07 July 2008 - 02:48 PM

Thanks newt! I did some research, I suppose the main thing is supporting the back. Not so much the angles and such, as long as it is comfortable.

Image Source

Attached Files

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Sponsors: