Product Design Forums

Treasurebox
Sign in to follow this  
Guest csven

Portfolio - C. Sven Johnson

Guest csven

@Taro - You're absolutely right.

fwiw, the original Illustrator files were done on a machine with the correct font to which I no longer have access and I've not updated. The font and text alignments issues will be in a final pass of all the pieces (I have maybe 6 or 8 more pieces to do). After that I'm locking this old portfolio down and starting a new one with entirely new material.

I'm glad you called that out. Every time I load one of these Illustrators I get the "font missing" warning, so I'm forced to notice it, but you're the first to even mention it (and you'd think people would notice the kerning issues on, for example, the "Jar Ope n er"). However, I'll be choosing a single font; not a variety of fonts.

I appreciate your attention to detail. Thank you.

Guest csven

@Austin - While the current font is incorrect, I probably won't be using a sans serif font. I'll instead be choosing something that takes a more "Raw" typographic approach*. Note that the words themselves are minimalistic in the extreme ("sans"). The font is intended to act in contrast to that minimalism and introduce an element of non-conformity similar to how I occasionally break the grid. So while the current font isn't correct and what I pick will likely conflict with Coroflot's typography, I'm approaching these as self-contained pieces (something I might not do on the next portfolio).

-

*Side note for anyone interested: "Raw" refers to a comics anthology I became aware of in the early 80's which receives too little credit for the influence they had on typography. Most people will site "Emigre" as the groundbreakers, but they also referenced and were influenced by "Raw". And while choosing a modern classic is the ID thing to do because it follows the "Uniformity, Simplicity, Consistency" rule, I don't believe in dogmatically adhering to rules. So while the current font is not what I'd intended, I'm probably not going to select something most IDers would select and will go with a font that has some structural elements.

Guest csven

Getting back on track to document old stuff (there's a few left still), just uploaded another school project.

Toasthed Pull Toy - I was really not into this project since we'd already had a toy project the previous year, so this effort really only amounted to a few quick pen & marker sketches and the roughly shaped model you see (low-density polyurethane foam). I didn't even bother to make a mechanism so the toast would go up and down, yet for some odd reason the professor loved it. Go figure.

btw, I'd originally named this "Stray Toaster" after the comic. Glad I changed it; my design doesn't do the comic art justice.

Guest csven

Glad you like the doodle, Austin.

And it's just an inverted pen 'n marker, engio. The background, however, is an amusing story.

I'd signed up for the photo studio at school and when I got there a painting major had left one of her paintings rolled up in the corner. It was really dark and heavily textured with lots of gritty stuff. Of course, my first thought was: "That'd make a great ground for my toy." So... that background is actually the ground on which the toy is photographed. I just cut away the bottom portion of it to fit the format.

Guest csven
ActionPacker Toolboxes - This was the last project I did without CAD skills; the CG render is mine but is of the final Pro/E tooling files. I did the render later after I figured out how to use Alias. I think the final 4k render took about 5 days using an SGI O2 (just raytrace; no radiosity or global illumination or other fancy stuff). It'd probably take 10 minutes on my PC.

Guest Austin Brown

nice! looked like a photograph for a second. those sketches are very nice as well. Are they marker and pen?

Guest csven

Considering the state of the art back then, I was relatively happy with the CG render, but it didn't even get a mention in the competition for which it was done. Oh, well. It was a good learning exercise.

The sketches were mostly done two to an 8 1/2" x 11" page and are a mix of blue verithin, ballpoint pen and a light cool grey marker; done on bond paper so they bleed all over the place. (Correction: these were probably done on a 9" x 12" vellum pad)

Guest csven

Here's a sample of the two/page thumbnails (it actually seems to show up slightly bigger than life-size on my screen):

post-4310-1232339159.jpg

Guest csven

Here's the center sketch from the portfolio composite (also larger than life-size on my monitor). This was on it's own page (#14); I cranked out a bunch of these really fast. There wasn't much to do with the project at the beginning since the base, latches, and handle were pre-existing; not much you can do when the constraints are really heavy. It got more interesting when they changed the scope of the project later. This one is probably just ballpoint pen and a 10% cool grey marker with what looks like black fineliner over top.

post-4310-1232339540.jpg

Guest csven

I think I once mentioned physical samples in reply to a post and as someone recently asked to see what my old sample looked like, I thought I'd share the scan:

post-4310-1246568828.jpg

Guest csven

Modified the thread title to reflect the growing mix of pieces; no longer analog/student work.

Added another piece.

"Blow-molded Beverage Bottle" - http://www.coroflot.com/public/individual_...eatured=-1&

Simple project. Unfortunately, conflicts with other projects kept me from working on the design after the initial concept work was complete. I'd hoped to refine the body and sculpt it to reflect the brand-focused design intent but didn't get the opportunity. The final product is the smallish red bottle in the composite image.