Product Design Forums

Treasurebox
Sign in to follow this  
Guest csven

Portfolio - C. Sven Johnson

Guest csven

I've been reformatting/compositing some of my old student designs into a presentation template I've been using for a number of years and posting them to my online portfolio. All the work was done prior to the general availability of computers, so the pieces are comprised of drawings, marker renders and model photography. Many of the marker renders were actually revisited within the first year of graduation (both because I had more time and because my marker skills had become more consistent), so projects that came much earlier benefited from that extra effort.

Anyway, I thought that as a point of pre-computer design portfolio reference, they might be of interest to some of you.

Student pieces are:

Nautilus Hair Dryer - Spring '92, 1st year ID/3rd year at CIA (original concept wasn't pursued for the class assignment, so this one sat until the final semester when my skills had caught up to the idea)

Phaedra Supercar Form Study - Spring '92, 1st year ID. (clay started during the Summer, sat for a year, then like the Nautilus it was completed during final semester)

Them Bones Outdoor Playset - Spring '93, 2nd year ID (my design in response to a sponsored class assignment; got me an invite to present it at Little Tikes which was cool)

Amphibian Cordless Clothes Iron - Final year '93-94 project (completely independent; originally intended for the first student appliance design competition, but this one ate time)

Will be adding more. Some of my pieces are packed away elsewhere, so I'll have to retrieve them.

Guest csven

Just recently saw this: Raymarine Marine Electronics (Link) and thought it was cool how close my old "Navmaster" student project got to predicting the future form (I've just got the model shot posted right now - {outdated link removed: see links below}; I'll generate a new composite when I get my hands on the marker renderings).

The Raymarine could use some finesse, but I especially like the way they've tied the engine into the display. On a larger vessel you could have pumps and valves and lots of other stuff on screen. Cool product.

Guest Han-Da

Great minds must think alike hey? LOL, wow cseven, future predictor. NICE!

I like the Outdoor playset, I would have loved one of those if I was a kid again =]

Guest csven

Funny thing on that navigation computer is that I have a bunch of sketches before the soft form emerged which reflect the geometric/metaphor stuff that was prevalent back in the late 80's/early 90's. Some truly awful stuff where I was using ocean bottom terrain as inspiration. I could make that idea work now, but back then ... no.

Guest csven

Replaced one of the marker renders and added a second to the "Them Bones" project. The one I'd originally posted came from a photograph and looked pretty bad. Got around to retrieving my portfolio and noticed that the renders were starting to bleed, so I scanned them, cleaned them up and posted both.

The link in the first post is still good; if you hit the right triangle next to the composite image a short slideshow starts (or failing that, I've uploaded them to Core portfolio student set and my Flickr page).

Figure I'll clean up the navigation computer next as the blacks are bleeding some serious purple.

Guest csven

Finally added the navigation computer renders as well as a new primary image showing the model.

Navmaster - Navigation Computer - Spring '93, 2nd year ID (my design in response to a class assignment to come up with a CD-based electronics product)

Guest csven

Not student work, but added some old marker renders to a professional product I did some time back:

Unicot Storage Cases - there's one early, pre-Japan design and a final ID marker of what I was modeling in Pro/E at the time.

Guest csven

Decided to scan in a couple of sketch underlays I'd originally intended to use for a series of newer marker renders to replace some crappy ones I'd done in school. Never finished the board layouts/sketches or got around to any marker renders, but since I was getting job offers it didn't seem to matter too much.

Anyway, here are the two underlays.

post-4310-1219818699.jpg

post-4310-1219818716.jpg

Guest Lilith

:clapping: this looks amazing, do you sketch with traditional paper and pencil or do you use digital stuff? this is so very imaginative for just a drawing of an iron, cool!

Guest csven

This is old work so a long time before I first used a digital tablet. First one is black Verithin. Second is a blue Verithin but with ballpoint pen. Glad you like.

Guest csven

Updated the entire Core portfolio:

- all images now at higher resolution

- lost composites were re-created or re-done

- created a "Sketches & Renderings" set; added some renderings.

I'll update Design:Related and Flickr later.

Guest csven

While this was done two years out of school, it was most definitely an analog project ... and not at all a good representative of an ID process. Be that as it may, I thought I'd post it anyway. Sometimes a week is all you get. And what I don't mention is that when the start-up failed, so did their bank account. Didn't get paid for this.

Quant PDA (1996)

(btw, I have slides of both PDA's somewhere. Will have to dig those out sometime.)

Guest csven

I think this might have been my second CAD project.

Tambour RTA Cabinet (1997) - Pro/E model. Rendered in Alias on an SGI box (which usually took 4 or 5 days for high resolutions; this was rendered at 4096 x 6144)

The detail doesn't show in that image, so I'm attaching an image to show the blow-mold texture I coaxed out of it.

post-4310-1226621043.jpg

Guest Taro

i like your stuff, and it seems like you have a style on page set up n stuff. However, i think maybe you can improve on the lil word on the bottom of the page. Try to pick a suitable font for each of them, because the one your using looks like default. I looked at your hair dryer, n thought it was great, then i moved on and the words just really annoyed me.

Guest Austin Brown
Try to pick a suitable font for each of them, because the one your using looks like default. I looked at your hair dryer, n thought it was great, then i moved on and the words just really annoyed me.

Agreed,

as a general rule, pages and layouts look a lot more "designy" and up-to-date when you use a sans serif font like Helvetica, Verdana, Trebuchet, Century Gothic, Myriad (some of these are mac/pc only) or Arial.

I like the sketches you did, and the way the lines flow among the three objects.