Product Design Forums

Treasurebox
Sign in to follow this  
Guest shellkt

Alias Sketchbook

Guest shellkt

I'm thinking about purchasing Alias Sketchbook. Also, I would be using it on a Mac.

Is it a good software package, and how diffcult is it to learn....

I have tried the trial version, which you can download at:

http://www.alias.com/eng/products-services...pro/index.shtml

It was really easy to learn the basics for me, as I was already used to Painter, which I have learnt at school. Those 2 softwares are quite the same.. you can use same drawing techniques for both.. i think the feeling of the brushes is one of the differences.

Guest nate

whats better to do sketching in photoshop or alias sketch book - or is photoshop just good for final renderings???

Alias Sketchbook in my mind is rather limited regarding functionality considering the price you pay for the software. Corel Painter would be a better deal I think.

Photoshop is a lot more expensive than both these software packages, but is also perfectly suitable to do sketch/rendering work in. Only downside imho is that you can't rotate your canvas the way you can in Painter. Downside of Painter is its quirky interface, though it's slowly getting better with each version of Painter.

Guest tokes99
Alias Sketchbook in my mind is rather limited regarding functionality considering the price you pay for the software. Corel Painter would be a better deal I think.

i agree, i think sketchbook was an application made for tablet pc users...it is a fun program and does not need an explaination all the tools are intuitive and work more or less how you expect them to from the 1st use

Guest Jakska
Downside of Painter is its quirky interface, though it's slowly getting better with each version of Painter.

i upgraded my painter essentials 2 disc to a painter 9 disc for another £90... i don't know the difference but i was informed (not by the salesman) that painter 9 would be much easier to use, and is worth the £90 extra ontop of the £150 for the actual tablet. i don't actually find painter easy to use at all though, there is too much on it and i get very confused. i have only just recently worked out how to even make new layers, and i still don't fully understand how they work... nothing like photoshop layers at all.

Guest duderender

Painter rocks. For non-tablet PC users you can actually rotate the canvas.

In regards to Sketchbook, it is quite fast. Photoshop bogs down on fast sketching where you won't see that in SB. You could easily implement SB as a sketcher and port it to PS for paintwork.

new release of sketchbook (version 2) can be downloaded as a trial >

http://www.alias.com/glb/eng/products-serv...oductId=1900006

i have tried it and i still prefer painter, because of the brushes and the different shortcuts (especially the brackets [ and ] for brush size controlling in painter are really handy imo)

Guest duderender
new release of sketchbook (version 2) can be downloaded as a trial >

http://www.alias.com/glb/eng/products-serv...oductId=1900006

i have tried it and i still prefer painter, because of the brushes and the different shortcuts (especially the brackets [ and ] for brush size controlling in painter are really handy imo)

No rotate canvas and that was one of the biggest requests. Overall, I'm not impressed and not upgrading from my 1.1 version. The new PSD layer compatibility is the only real reason to upgrade, but Painter does that and more.