Product Design Forums

Treasurebox
Sign in to follow this  
Guest CheckMate

Photoshop - How To Convert The Black In A Pixel Into Transparent?

Guest CheckMate

Hi, i have a black and white image and want to convert the black in a pixel to transparent does any body know how to do this?

thanks.

Guest kaiza

select -> color range and then select a black area

or use the magic wand with the 'contiguous' box unchecked and then select a black area

then edit -> clear (or backspace)

Guest CheckMate

Thanks for the suggestions Kaisa but those two methods don't quite fit, i really want to be able to take out the %of black in every pixel so all i am left with is white - transparent gradients.

Guest CheckMate

i guess a good way of doing it would be to convert the greyscale image to an alpha channel. but i don't know how to do that. is that possible?

Guest kaiza

mmk so you have a greyscale image...

you haven't really specified what you want the final outcome to be - have a PNG file with a transparency? work on the image further in Photoshop?

The easiest way to use a greyscale image as transparency mask is to have the other graphics on the layer below, then invert the image and change the blend mode to multiply - anything black will remain black, and white will disappear (hence why you invert it).

Otherwise just use the layer/vector mask button on the layers palette to create a layer mask for a layer filled with white, then copy+paste the image in (alt-click on the layer mask to edit it - alternatively you can find the layer mask in the channels tab)

Guest CheckMate

no sorry i haven't explained it properly but i'm not sure if it is possible anyway, i think i have thought of all the angles it could be done but i'm not sure.

what i want to do is from a greyscale image in a psd document replace the black content of every pixel with transparent so that i have a ghost like image with only white and transparent and translucent so there is some solid white areas a lot of gradients from solid white to semi transparent / semi opaque white to fully transparent.

so i need in someway purge the image of black and black content in grey pixels!

Guest kaiza

Hopefully this will show up properly...

copy the image below into photoshop, you'll find it has an alpha layer - is this what you wanted? Re-read my second post...

post-3355-1215350729.png

Guest CheckMate

No thats not what i want. as i explained i want a white-transparent scale image and that is a greyscale image and clearly still has grey and black in it!

Guest elendil anarion

man I know excatly what you want... havent beign able t do it either!!!

Guest kaiza

I left it greyscale so you could see it on the forum background...

all you need to do to change it to a white - transparent image is to mess with the levels.

Guest pixer

It is pretty strait forward to create a transparency map from a greyscale image, once you know how. Start with a transparent background, create a layer to use as your alpha map, then create a working layer and put whatever it is you want to be partially transparent in it. Hide the layer you are using for the alpha, then create a new layer mask for your working layer. Click on the layer mask to enter the mask edit mode, then go to the "Image" menu and "Apply Image". From here you simply select the source, in this case whatever layer holds your alpha data. Black areas are made 100% transparent, white 100% opaque and greyscale becomes partially transparent. I hope this helps. There may be an easier way, but I do not know it, and this works well for me.

Guest ADD

Try this option in Photoshop

select > color range

select the color area that you want to make transparent..inverse the selection.

open new file with transparent back ground & paste the image on the top it.

If you share some part of your image we will able to give you better solution.