Product Design Forums

Treasurebox
Sign in to follow this  
Guest BloodRabbit

Nokia Shapeshift

Guest elendil anarion

I like it more with that Matte look .. than a shinny look....

Guest zbaums

I really like this concept! The idea is great and has potential for many different applications. Your first batch of renderings were nice as well, very clear and easy to understand. I don't see how some of the first few posters misunderstood the physics behind the concept. I would love to see something like this on the market one day. . .

Criticisms:

The shape of the module itself already looks "old" and outdated. . . it may be easy to manufacture and it may be comfortable to hold sideways, but if you look at some of nokia's newest handhelds, they all look very modern and sophisticated, with unique materials and and a "high-style" feel to them. The material you used for the red phone looks tacky imho, kind of like an older nintendo gameboy. It has a gloss to it but it doesn't look like a high quality material. For a cell phone to stand out now a days, it needs to feel like a solid, expensive piece of equipment (think iphone). The black one looks much nicer, but again, the shape appears to be less desirable than the interface. I can't wait to see your final designs, Keep up the great work!

Guest möggel

I really like your concept, I had an LG prada for a while, minimalistic and nice phone, the only bad thing though was the touch screen that was really annoying, witch I think is a problem with all of the new touch screen phones!

Your idea is really good, touch screen with bump buttons would be perfect I think.

I had no problems understanding your concept, looks professional, not like some student stuff with a thousand pictures explaining different things.

Some people want you to ad more details. My opinion: if this is enough for operating the phone easily you shouldn’t ad more!

Less is more my friends! But I guess it’s just a mater of taste as well.

Keep up the good work!

Guest Shamoo

Could the liquid be replaced by air? as air is easily available anywhere. how it would transfered into it is up to you

good luck!

Sham

Guest nallen00
cool idea BUT its not working.

Your rendering does not translate your idea. Rather it makes me wonder... what is this slab like device?

Your renderings, rather than showing your concept. The only thing i get out of it, is "cool wallpaper".

Also try putting a light source, cuz i cant see anything on that device...its just BLACK SLAB of NOTHINGNESS...

Won't work.

This is a brilliant idea. He is an amateur, so there is room to improve. However, providing constructive feedback is how people learn and grow personally and professionally. I see his choice to post here as an opportunity to discover what professionals think of the core concept and generate some interest. This is not something I've ever seen or heard of before, so it deserves at least a modicum of respect. If criticisms are made, they should be bolstered by factual concepts - for example, why is the case design less than ideal, or why

wouldn't it work? Unsubstantiated and otherwise subjective observations are never productive.

I my opinion, the renders are usable (photorealism is completely unnecessary at this stage), with possibly the addition of some graphical hints to guide the viewer through its functionality. Also, from a core design standpoint, you might try to place yourself in the end-user's shoes - for example, how would it feel in your hands (ergonomics) or how would it fit into your lifestyle (aesthetics/functionality/weight/storage, etc.). I'm not an expert in microfluidics or MEMS, but I don't see why this wouldn't be possible. Maybe Krabbenkoenig could explain?

I applaud your genuine perspective - at least it's not another iPhone knockoff.

Looking forward...

Guest Shamoo
cool idea BUT its not working.

Your rendering does not translate your idea. Rather it makes me wonder... what is this slab like device?

Your renderings, rather than showing your concept. The only thing i get out of it, is "cool wallpaper".

Also try putting a light source, cuz i cant see anything on that device...its just BLACK SLAB of NOTHINGNESS...

Won't work.

This is a brilliant idea. He is an amateur, so there is room to improve. However, providing constructive feedback is how people learn and grow personally and professionally. I see his choice to post here as an opportunity to discover what professionals think of the core concept and generate some interest. This is not something I've ever seen or heard of before, so it deserves at least a modicum of respect. If criticisms are made, they should be bolstered by factual concepts - for example, why is the case design less than ideal, or why

wouldn't it work? Unsubstantiated and otherwise subjective observations are never productive.

I my opinion, the renders are usable (photorealism is completely unnecessary at this stage), with possibly the addition of some graphical hints to guide the viewer through its functionality. Also, from a core design standpoint, you might try to place yourself in the end-user's shoes - for example, how would it feel in your hands (ergonomics) or how would it fit into your lifestyle (aesthetics/functionality/weight/storage, etc.). I'm not an expert in microfluidics or MEMS, but I don't see why this wouldn't be possible. Maybe Krabbenkoenig could explain?

I applaud your genuine perspective - at least it's not another iPhone knockoff.

Looking forward...

Negativity is the key to failure, there ARE ways around obstacles they are just not obvious

Guest pipes

I understand what your concept is and it could possibly work if you had a hydraulic pump in the housing. I read some of the other posts and just wanted to say if they can't understand your idea from your images than they are clearly not open minded about innovation.

I understood what you were trying to convey by the schematic drawings.

Nice Idea, but you probably don't want to contain liquid and electronics together.

Guest nallen00
Negativity is the key to failure, there ARE ways around obstacles they are just not obvious

:oops: I didn't intend to be negative (or maybe I'm misinterpreting your post?). I quoted "sketchyd" and "Krabbenkoenig" because I do not agree with them (first paragraph). Sorry if I wasn't clear on that. Back on topic. Just watched the feature on G4 - congratulations :cheers:

Looking forward...

Guest elendil anarion

thats incredible... I was :o

man congratulations with this!!!

Guest BloodRabbit

This Is gone be a long reply.

grasshoper:

when your talking about the layers as if this is spare parts you have to carry seperatly, I think you've missed the concept idea.

And no I haven't made a real model of it.

ParkCrawler:

Depending on the direction you use it in(vertical or horizontal) the corner will be cut on on different sides, but most of the time phones are used "standing up" therefore i refered to the right side. Unless someone knows anyone who wants to make the minimalist phone, I don't see that happening, but thank you.

jmc:

I've seen my pictures on many screens now and they seem allright. The red phone was more of a test render.

Rollofunk:

I'm looking into using it in other applications.

Jettenorio:

There are many simpler solutions for making braille since you don't need the lcd screen for it.

elendil anarion:

The bumping is raised and lowered by a liquid between to layers of plastic, this was the point I was trying to make with the Icecube bag, it has nothing to do whit the fact that you freeze the water, its the way the bag itself is constructed. When you fill an icecube bag with water it goes from beeing flat to haveing several bumps(which forms the icecubes), this transformation is pretty much the way my Idea works.

zbayms:

I do see how people are having problems understanding the idea, I just have to find the right way to explain it.

On the design side I went for a neutral design that could be used by anyone(and that I liked myself). My mantra when It comes to design is simplicity. The material was suppose to be a high grip rubbery surface much like the one found on the back of a nokia n95.

möggel:

I agree, I always try to keep the design as clean as possible. But as you said it all comes down to taste.

Shamoo:

The liquid could be replaced by air but there is no point. This is a closed system it doesn't need refilling, much like your refrigerator doesn't need a gas refill to operate.

nallen00:

Thank you. I would like it if people would explain why they mean something won't work, I may have thought about a solution or it may actually be a real problem with the design/idea.

waikit:

As always if they want an an adress to link to in their articles i refer them to this forum.

Wohoo I have a nice looking girl talking about my design and she doesn't have a clue what it is(shes talking about 3d imagry).

Pipes:

Yes it would need some kind of pump to opperate.

Liquids and electronics go very well together(not that they ever are in contact with eachother in this concept)There are many liquids that are not condictive(including clean water)so if the screen got destroyed it doewsn't have to short out any electronics.

Again thanks to all of you for having a look.

If I forgot to answer anyone or was unclear at some point give me a shout.

Disclaimer: I may have butchered the english language, and for that I am truly sorry(my first language is norwegian).

Rune Larsen

Guest elendil anarion

thanks for your reply... I hope you go much more with this project... its really a new concept thatshould be really looked at

Guest keyme

the rendering show everything it does and its easy to understand, but maybe a drawing of the tactile feel on the fingers will translate to those with no intuitive abilities. the how it works is iffly but idea is nice.

Air would be also another way of raising the bumps and can be some integrated simple hand pump gesture built into the product. Also if you use liquid you can color the liquid and the bumps can be lit up.