Ideas For Final Year Project

• Please log in to reply
12 replies to this topic

#1 Guest_kikix_*

Guest_kikix_*
  • Guests

Posted 04 June 2008 - 05:53 PM

hi,
im new to this site, wish i would of found it sooner :) the reason for this topic is i am now entering my final year in product design (BA).
i have had to come up with ideas for a final major project but am a little stuck on what i exactly what to do :s
i do want to focus apon furniture design as that is what i enjoy and have had high marks due to my enthusiasm for the module.. sorry to rabble on :)

anyways i do want to do something furniture based so i was wondering if anyone had any ideas as problems they have found with furniture be it disabled access or sustainability for domestic or business type furniture.

Thanks alot in advance for your help everyone.

:P

#2 Guest_Jay08_*

Guest_Jay08_*
  • Guests

Posted 05 June 2008 - 11:35 AM

You are going about this the wrong way. You have a product in mind. Scrap that and find out what issues people actually have and design a product to suit this need.

Brainstorm hundreds of ideas and I m sure that at least one will require a furniture type product but think of the problem, not the solution.

Good luck

#3 Guest_kikix_*

Guest_kikix_*
  • Guests

Posted 05 June 2008 - 01:49 PM

thanks for your reply so what you are saying is that i should just find general probelms people have such as perhaps disabled access to products etc.
our course tutor has only just exlpained how to do a feasability report to us and well to be honest im not to good at doing this type of thing it takes me a while to start up, but i can see what you mean.
where would u suggest a good place to start?

sorry if i sound a little dull :P lol

thanks again in advance!

#4 Guest_benzo_*

Guest_benzo_*
  • Guests

Posted 05 June 2008 - 09:49 PM

Think about your design process.

I'm just finishing my 3rd year and think you will struggle if you hope to get the big idea out of thin air.

Do some research check out what is the next big thing coming out of end of year degree shows, look at the magazines question why things are getting published in icon, blueprint, design week etc.

THEN DO THE IMPORTANT THING!!

BE selfish, think about your portfolio and what skills you need to show, think about what company you want to apply for and what they want to see, think about what annoys you and what you want to change...

1st off.. research

2nd observations..

then the rest should come.

3rd year is hard, get your disser out of the way now, and try to be alert to everything going on around you.

#5 Guest_Steve.id_*

Guest_Steve.id_*
  • Guests

Posted 09 June 2008 - 01:09 AM

one thing alot of people seem to forget is that this is your final project and is year long...so make sure you find something that firstly interests you and can see yourself doing for the entire year with high enthusiasm levels because if you start to lose this then your final design will show this.

with research look closely at new materials and also future forecasting.

hope this helps a little bit

#6 Guest_kikix_*

Guest_kikix_*
  • Guests

Posted 09 June 2008 - 11:31 AM

hey thankx guys for the advice this will help majorly, i know the third year is an even higher step up from the second year.
just one last thing can any of you suggest any good online product design magazines/websites so i can browse through to get some ideas? cus the ones i found only advertise the magazine and does not let me browse its contents.
thanks again guys for your help :)

#7 Guest_Steve.id_*

Guest_Steve.id_*
  • Guests

Posted 09 June 2008 - 12:54 PM

buy the magazines its good for diversity of references or visit your uni/town library

#8 Guest_secure_*

Guest_secure_*
  • Guests

Posted 09 June 2008 - 04:49 PM

www.yankodesign.com is a great site to get ideas
most of them are just concepts!

#9 Guest_kikix_*

Guest_kikix_*
  • Guests

Posted 12 June 2008 - 09:11 AM

thanks for the replies guys much appriecated ^_^
I will defo go and grab a load of magazines now to get ideas and the websites you have mentioned, if i have anymore question i will be sure to ask you guys again.
(thank god for this site!! lol)

#10 Guest_Lilith_*

Guest_Lilith_*
  • Guests

Posted 13 June 2008 - 09:11 AM

sorry but why is this under "projects in progress"? why not under any of "discussions"?

#11 Guest_hackett1867_*

Guest_hackett1867_*
  • Guests

Posted 21 June 2008 - 10:21 AM

Hey,

Ive just finished my final degree year

Everyones advice above is great stuff.

Remember this year is about ticking boxes, its boring and counter intuitive, but a necessity to get a degree. Once you have your idea, study the marking criteria very closely, and see what people before you have done.

The people assessing you have probably lost touch with good design, they just compare you to your peers and previous years, do more than them and you will do well. (its not about the design unfortunately)

Also upload stuff to this site, the crit is useful, and counts as primary data collection. do this early, i left it too late and was unable to use the data as well as i could have.

(sorry for the rant!)

Start work early, pulling a degree out of your ass at the eleventh hour is no fun at all!!!

#12 Guest_Vincent Lee_*

Guest_Vincent Lee_*
  • Guests

Posted 18 September 2008 - 11:51 PM

oops, sorry for not seeing this one sooner. but I just replied HERE

anyways.. like I said, a few ideas were shot dow, ad I am left to do something I have a good access to. My family chinese restaurant. It should be chock full of projects but I sat there after college and work for the past year after 6PM and didn't find anything. until I dug deep.. take aways... or life blood of the business. Waste... loss of looks from cramming ito boxes... I should start up a topic to ask people's opinions on
my final year project... sustainable solution... food carrying for diners/restaurants/canteen without the waste and compressed sandcastle block shapes from the take away boxes. The same result from those Styrofoam meal boxes...

I'll do that in the morning...

PS good luck! Product design all the way

#13 Guest_Jay08_*

Guest_Jay08_*
  • Guests

Posted 19 September 2008 - 08:53 AM

The people assessing you have probably lost touch with good design, they just compare you to your peers and previous years, do more than them and you will do well. (its not about the design unfortunately)

haha depends whar uni you go to...most marking staff, will know what theyre on about and in the case of good unis are usually practicing designers.

Im about to start my grad year...looking at real problems is the key i think. Its no good designing or the sake of it. What doesnt seem very exciting may actually turn out to be the most interesting project. I recently worked at a consultancy and was involved in the design of what seemed fairly anodyne products (ie a tape measure) but then soon found that the project was actually deep in that it covers large elements of human interaction, functionality, great styling, models and rigs, clever mechanisms and DFM. This is the sort of project to do. Something that allows a thorough design process.

Good luck with it and would love to see how a fellow final year gets on!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Sponsors:
Android Tablet
Designer Store