Product Design Forums

Treasurebox
Sign in to follow this  
Guest mare10

Portfolio Images

Guest mare10

Hi all,

I'm looking for a work experience mainly as modeler.

I learned that present myself with a site is not always the best way because the majority of the people don't have time to inspect it, so they can't understand properly who I am and what I do.

For this reason I tried to sum up briefly my skills in two images:

http://www.mareforza10.com/sergio_marelli_pf.jpg

http://www.mareforza10.com/sergio_marelli_pj.jpg

do you think that they are useful and that they are a good idea for present myself to the design studios?

thank you for any advise

Guest shyamsun

Good work and you have great 3d skills. Those surfaces looks perfect. Also in your 2nd image you have great talent

for manufacturing process and its detail oriented. Most design firms will like this ability.

The area to improve is your presentation skills in graphic design and layout. I guess you are not going to present this same images for design studios. Are you? if so then you need to give some breathing space between images in your first image and have a uniform vignette rather than patchy and varied colors. In your 2nd change the back ground color to have more contrast, blue and light warm gray is making it too dull . Great work!

Guest mare10

thank you very much for your useful advices shyamsun.

I'm going to try to improve the graphics.

Anyway yes, i'm going to present this images at the studios, because i want put as much as possible informations in a single image for let the people see what i can do with a quick look, avoiding the risk that they don't see something.

And then, if they want spend a little of their time, they can see my website that is less messy: http://www.mareforza10.com

Guest Jay08

The work quality is great! What year are you studying in? Why only two pages for your mini folio? Is it worth not showing so much detail to entise the company to view a more detailed folio.

What software are you rendering in...some of the most convincing ive seen in a long time.

Good luck.

Guest mare10

thanks!

For the render I've used different software like V-Ray for 3DS/Rhino, sometimes with the V-Ray Toon effect, I've also used Maxwell, Penguin and Flamingo for Rhino.

In Italy we have two degree, the first degree(3 years) and then a specialization degree (2 more years).

I finished the first degree and then I worked one year mainly for a software house that develope a Nurbs software.

Now I want do a work experience in London and maybe start the second Design&Engineering degree in october.

These work great as a teaser/portfolio sample, they'd definately be enough to stir interest in your work.

But once a potential employer sees those they'll want to check out a website or a larger portfolio that shows them more of your work, your development process. How did those products get developed? What decisions did you make as a designer that makes you MORE than just a CAD jockey? How did user research and feedback impact your designs? - That's the kind of content you want your website/full portfolio to show.

Guest shyamsun

And then, if they want spend a little of their time, they can see my website that is less messy: http://www.mareforza10.com

This is less messy but I wish I could view it in English too. Could you add a translation to English?

Guest mare10

Thank u Cyberdemon, I know what you mean and you are right, but i didn't pretend to present myself as designer but just as CAD jockey :)

..I always thought to myself as a professional who has high skill in the creation of the shape either for technician or aesthetical pourpouse.

I feel useful in the latter stage of the design process or in the presentation of the final product, I just want to be who help to bring to reality the idea of the designer through a deep knowledge of the CAD software and high skill in handling the shape.

Do you think that the design studios could be interested in this kind of professional figures?

By the way in my site you can see the whole process that i have used in the design of all my projects, but as shyamsun said, they are just in Italian... I have to translate it, seeing that the images aren't enough clear, but it will be a long work.

thank u again for all your advises!

Guest mare10

Hi all,

after two years i can tell you that the images didn't work, I didn't get any design experience in London.

Now i'm on my way to finish the D&E Master Degree I started year and half ago in Milan, which gave me more knowledge about manufacturing and materials and made me more confident in the design process. I think that now I can offer something more than only my CAD skills.

I'm still looking for a work experience abroad.

So I finally decided to translate in english my whole portofolio, adding also some new project, you can check this from here:

coroflot portfolio

I would really appreciate some feedback from you guys.

At the moment this portfolio didn't work much better than the images :)

I'm scared that trying to explain the design process i don't get viewer attention, and that maybe would be better to put only few images per project and make a quick PDF.

Maybe also my sketches are not a good point to show. What do you say?

Thanks for any reply

Sergio

Guest mappdaniel

@mare10

I love those freelance and internship boards, specially the one where you hae snapshot of the model show all the curvature etc.

How did you do that? im not using rhino but ive got alias and solidworks and would love to know how to get a snapshot like that, it is really effective.

Guest mare10

thanks mappdaniel.

All the images in that section were made with Rhino, the sebra pictures are snapshot made at maximum size and mesh detail.

Anyone has some criticism? coroflot portfolio