Jive - Social Networking For Your Gran.

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 Guest_benarent_*

Guest_benarent_*
  • Guests

Posted 23 May 2008 - 09:12 PM

Hi Product Design Forums,

I'm a long time learker, little poster! I have watched Product design forums turn into a great community and there is some amazing work here! I have also learnt a lot. This project has been part of my final year at Middlesex University, It has been a great 4 years.

For my final project I chose to pick EU objective 2007.7.1 ICT and Ageing, this objective is to look at how we bridge the digital divide, especially with older users. The final product is a new device that is just dedicated to staying in touch and keeping up to date with you existing social network. (its not meant to be a computer, instead a device that makes using the internet as a means of communication a lot easier!)

jive is a proof of concept for a new communication device. Jive was created as part of Ben Arent's product design degree. Jive is a range of 3 products that were designed to get elderly technophobes connected to their friends and family.

jive negates 3 mayor point of pain, which is currently stopping elderly users getting connected.

* 'getting online'
one plug router solves this problem by being pre-loaded with ISP setting at POS. So setup is a true plug and play experience.

* 'loading and sharing contact details'
jive uses friend passes to link a physical persons ID with digital life. A user simply links a friend pass to there friendfeed account. This will then take care of aggregating all of the data into a friend pass, so when a friend pass is placed onto betty there data will apear.

* No Mouse Needed
To operate jive you simply place an avatar onto 'bettys' display. So if you want to send a message you just place betty on the left of the screen, and you can now send a message to that person. This uses a magnetic tangible interface to work.

The final project from a 'design' point of view was interesting, I undertook quite a lot of user empathy. You can read more about this at http://jive.benarent...evelopment.html. The final product is perhaps a lot more conceptual but I think that is perk of being doing a final year project. I was very much inspired by Bill Buxtons sketching user experience to help refine the concept, there are these 'experience' videos at the development page.

I shall be exhibiting the designs at the Trumen Brewery on the 6-10th of June. If you want to find out more goto http://www.pdeproduce.com.

Anyway.. On with the pics!

Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image

Comments and Crit is welcome!

Ben
http://www.benarent.co.uk
jive.jpg

#2 Guest_madmatt_*

Guest_madmatt_*
  • Guests

Posted 24 May 2008 - 02:37 PM

Very smart, I like it, but for write a message did you need a keyboard or not?
And how a person can realize by yourself his personal "pass"?

Bye

#3 grasshoper

grasshoper

Top Member

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 374 posts
  • At:TU Delft

Posted 24 May 2008 - 03:41 PM

Hi you worked really hard and the concept is very nice. The thing i want to ask,How can we get friend pass? How can we make specified friend pass for each of the consumer?Is it modified with the betty or some selling points that install your friend pass?

Also there is no video communication ? I see a point in friend pass but i thing it is not a cam.

3 problems that the product negates . That`s good but i think my grandpa needs my voice and wants to see me. Especially he needs a hug :(

Information about communication:

Indirect Communication and Direct Communication..
Indirect Communication is SMS, Internet, Paper letter, E-mail....
Direct Communication is talking , eye contact, touching the skin; kissing , shake your hands....

Communication level for direct communication is in your sense..

Hear- The voice has a tone. right... Right? R_ight . I said in different tones.
See- B/w photo ,colored photo, video, looking into eyes while talking,
Smell- There is no technology for now but I am waiting for it :) Everyone has a different smell every house. When i visited my parents there is a smell which makes me cry sometimes :)
Touch- When you deal in business shake your hands have a more effective promise than writing ' we will promise' or give an hug to your grandpa...
-----------------------------------

I just write that because my grandpa needs something like this but you can improve the betty.
I like your presentations and the product also your site

Just one thing maybe you have done it. Big sized fonts :)

#4 Guest_benarent_*

Guest_benarent_*
  • Guests

Posted 24 May 2008 - 05:54 PM

thanks for the comments.

@madmatt -

Yes there is a keyboard, this is pulled out form the bottom of betty. This is left out from the photos as the hardware development wasn't 100% complete, and the custom hardware that I had developed kept crashing the machine.

The friend pass would be a cheap item that you could buy from electronic retailers, similar to a gift card. The linking of 'digital lives' would be done using a service such as friend feed. htt://www.friendfeed.com

@grasshoper. - thanks for the comments.
a friend pass is personalised with a passport sized photo after purchase, each friend pass will have a unique id which will link to the jive data service.

About Video - Yes. I think video integration would be nice. Although I still think that web cams for communication still need some refinement before mass adoption. Current uptake is still quite small, and i don't think that this adoption is just because of technology problems.

I like your other points in regards to other forms of communication, and agree that there could be some interesting exploration into other / novel methods of communication.

#5 Guest_benz_id_*

Guest_benz_id_*
  • Guests

Posted 25 May 2008 - 07:04 AM

I've been following your project for a while I love the process that you really driven through the hardware and software by yourself including user research and insight mock-up and prototype testing now that's the real IDer

but there's a spot that i'm really concern in your project Do you ever test your mock-ups and prototype and UI with the real old people?

don't get me wrong your UI is really easy to use and understand for us the I-POD generation but i'm not sure that our grans will get it or they might get it, i don't know you have to proof it to us.

add more welcoming appeal to the BETTY and you're good to go!

good luck for the exhb! 3 cheers for the real IDer!

ps. Bill Buxton's book is the best

#6 Guest_benarent_*

Guest_benarent_*
  • Guests

Posted 26 May 2008 - 11:32 AM

@benz_id

Thanks for the comments. In regards to your first question I used mainly experience prototypes to convey the concept of the device before I make the device into hardware. I also created a video that explained the concept of social networking and how this device would make it better. I used direct feedback which was used to iterate the interactions.

The Brief.

First Concept.

Explaining the concept.

I created a smaller version of the display that was used to prototype different interfaces, this also had the magnetic sensors built in so I could also prototype the tangible user interface.

IMG_0825.jpg IMG_2062.jpg

As I have only just completed the final product form, I going to be having a couple of focus groups to evaulte the design. I'm looking forward to this, but in my past experience I have found it hard to make people understand its still a proof of concept, and not a product for sale.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Sponsors: