Product Design Forums

Treasurebox
Sign in to follow this  
Guest Lilith

Reception Desk

Guest Lilith

i just started a series of very simple reception desks, here is the 1st one (please ignore the text, it doesnt mean much). crits are very welcomed please.

hoop_layout1.jpg

hoop_layout2.jpg

Guest yodesign

Very nice, easy to assemble, few material, sober shapes.

What are the dimensions? Isn't it to large at the bottom not be disturbed while sitting?

Do you think there is enough surface to put some objects (computer for instance)?

Guest polyspeck

hi Lilith!

i like the concept of your design :specool:

The only thing is can chair legs fit under the desk? you could make the desk surface wider to accomodate chairs.

Or another idea is that you could design a custom chair for it??

And lastly, the gap between the desk surface... is that for hiding computer cables?

Guest polyspeck

OHH and another thing!! (i forgot in my 1st reply)

umm you know that curve in the desk space and the space it generates. Just MAYYYBEEE it could be the other way around, soo that the bend is on the outside and the opening is on the inside (where the receptionist sits) so that it could be used as some sort of storage like for paper etc and computer cables and other things you would want to hide from a person approaching the reception??

just an idea i was just thinking out loud

cheers

Guest remus

Nice stuff. Crits: im not sure what render engine your using but i reckon the wooden section could do with some bummaps.

Are you going to be do a prototype?

think as a system in that kind of project. That can be one unit but try to make shapes. Make it more easy for assemble. if costumer wants it 2 of them how they can join.

Anyway it can be more better than that.

Guest bob6yt6

the green one remindes me of something that would go in a bar or something. the wooden one would look better for the targeted office space. i realy like it. i think that two of them back to back would go well in an outside bar that you could move around your deck. try to add people or paper and pencils on the desk. add a computer or something to make it look functional in a real enviroment. would the curve be hard to lean dust out of. i realy like the overall look af it. great work.

The shape looks nice.

However - structurally I see some issues with regards to the stability. It wouldn't take much to tip the table. Also, is it designed so you sit with the feet at the lower "L" part of the table or are you supposed to stand by it? If you're not going to stand at it, there is not much room for the legs, and as a receptionist table, where a person sits and works for many hours. (Because it is only renderings with no scale, I can't see how it's supposed to work)

You also claim that it is easy to assemble - How is it assembled? As I can see it now there could obviously be some problems with the wooden plate that goes on the top of the aluminum table plate.

And just as a suggestion. Maybe you could add a spacer in the U-shape, between the wooden plates, to make the upper structure more stiff.

/tbroen

Guest Skint

My first thoughts were similar to tbroen`s, it doesnt look particularly stable and could be tipped over quite easily. Agree with the spacers too, to stabilise the top section.

Not sure how "easy" its going to be to assemble the top section onto the chrome plated surface, I cannot see any external fixture points, so possibly you have slipped it on top of a couple of shafts mounted onto the plate ?

I like the simplistic look to both the design and the presentation though.

Guest superbad

Pretty, but here's what the engineers are going to come back with:

1. Unstable- that bottom radius combined with a CG pushed out toward the edge will make it easy to tip.

2. No way for a chair to fit under the desktop.

3. Eyeballing the scale (18" deep x 60" long x 1" thick), that aluminum top is going to weigh over 200 lbs. It will be extremely difficult to attach it to the wood piece cantilevered like that

4. Making that aluminum top will be, uh, challenging. You probably can't bend it (radius is too tight). That leaves extrusion (difficult at that thickness) or possibly casting (the surface finish will require a lot of work). You'd probably end up welding it out of multiple pieces, but that radius will still be a problem.

5. Don't chrome plate aluminum, it's unnecessary. Chrome is nasty @#$@#$.

Guest Lilith

hey guys, thanks for all your comments i really appreciate it, was a great help. i am going to improve my designs as soon as i get a bit free time, just wanted to mention again this project is in early stage yet i just made a rendering for motivation but still sketching and trying to find better combinations.

concept_desk_sketches.jpg

Guest Steve.id

Just a quick idea. with the bench surface could that be flipped so that you may store things within the negative space to reduce clutter on the top surface? and on the customer side it could extrude out further so that the customer can place there bag or anything on it while paying etc. (ive seen babies placed while the parent is paying)

If not and if you were to make the surface area of the work bench wider instead of running parallel it the bottom surface could run on an angle creating a triangular shape as well as been stable.

Other than that looks good real clean and simplistic as well as modern will keep an eye on the progress

Guest PEDROBRAS

hey i like that...i just see one problem man...the chromed surface, it's going to acumulate dust in the middle of the two boards, thats a pretty hard space to clean...i'm thinking, but so far any idea came to my mind on how to solve that...

hope u get my point...