Product Design Forums

Treasurebox
Sign in to follow this  
Guest joste

Powertools

Guest joste

Hello,

Here are some pictures of some Powertools I have designed. The concept are for simpler tools for your home and were about design and context.

Any comments...

Thanks.

//Jonas

post-18500-1210704232.jpg

post-18500-1210704890.jpg

post-18500-1210704323.jpg

post-18500-1210704268.jpg

Guest jjdon

They're nicely done. I gotta tell you they're pretty girlie, though. Not that women don't buy power tools, too....

Guest edvil

I think you need to add some explanation to your images about the usage, plus may be you can show the relationship with the hand by the means of presentation.

And what is the conical part for? Is it for sanding?

In addition, the charging part (i guess) seems a little immature to match with the overall form.

Anyway, i liked the concept, the form, colors and the simplicity...

+i do buy power tools :blink:

i like the renderings and the whole concept behind it all but i think that the charger needs developing to fit the style more.

i think the tools shouldnt be categorised as 'powertools' as such, i think they would be more suited to maybe medical, maybe even repair kits for bikes etc. where you want the item to be slimline and light.

very nice work, just think you need to think about which market they are designed for.

M.

Was this a client project? very cool- the proportions look convincing for a lightweight set of tools. Handle sections look uncomfortable for sustained use- but probably OK for light use. Nice work

They looks different with the render and model, are they?

The charge indicators can replaced and there is no slot for charging.The form is nice. The project can be improved.

The last thing, Prego logo is white logo. Bosch red on green, Cat black on yellow... is it clear ? i dont know :blink:

Guest madmatt
I think you need to add some explanation to your images about the usage, plus may be you can show the relationship with the hand by the means of presentation.

And what is the conical part for? Is it for sanding?

In addition, the charging part (i guess) seems a little immature to match with the overall form.

Anyway, i liked the concept, the form, colors and the simplicity...

+i do buy power tools :blink:

Same for me!!

Bye

Guest shaundesign

They render and model overall looks good. Was the choice of the white colour to make them look more like a kitchen appliance than a powertool because that is what I am seeing in this design.

shaun

Guest antidesign

Its very modern (also retro at the same time) nice to see someone rethinking this product.

If this is a presentation you've not put any indication of the size of the items.

I think the material could get marked. But maybe it would age nicely.

I agree with some of the comments above about the charger. If you made the product stand up in the charger like an electric toothbrush it would be fantastic.

Also on close inspection I'm not sure I like the way the form ends with a cylindrical object (round\conical whatever you want to call it) coming out of a surface with three different shaped sides. This seems also quite an important part of the object

Overall a very nice project. Is it finished? Why is it called Prego?

Ciao

Guest tom_j_owen

Nice designs, a definate break away from the current trends within the tool market, i suppose that a 'shot in the dark' is a good a test as any to see if they will be commercail.

I think there is a growing market for guy who are your typicail 'DIYer' to have a light set of tools for here and there.

the only point i would make are the handles might be more comfy if you added some type of grip (poss a double shot moulding) just try no to detract from that cool clean profile. i agree with the charger, needs a little attention. im not sure if i like the fact it lays down to charge, poss a standing option might be nicer. the last tiny thing is the branding placement, not too sure if im liking it in the two different locations. maybe pick a good spot and try to roll it over between product within the family.

overall a cool looking bit of kit, im sure i know a few mates who would love to own a set.

cheers

tom

Guest PeterPan

hi

Can i say that i don't like it ?! ( make a hair dryer out of it & the sales will rise )

sorry

Guest John Fitzsimmons

Very nice styling, simular to the new line of rechargables from Black and Decker, looks like accessories form the orginal Star Wars. However I don't know if the direction is workable, Seems to address the finicky market, but how many DYI anal retentives are there? maybe to polish the Volvo.

Guest joste

Hello again,

Thanks for all the feedback and comments.

The project was as schoolproject and work with design and context and tried to make powertools more domestic instead of always looking handyman, tool and robust.

The targetgroup were young people with limited use of tools and limited storage space. So I worked from the line "If you kept your tools in bottom kitchen drawer." In that you tend to keep everything from a mixer to a screwdriver. I also aimed to keep the function down to simpel working in home area and as a complement to "real" powertools.

I do agree on the charger. Not the best... But I looked for someting to meet the object and haveing the two "heavy" objects togheter rather than seperate (mobile charger). I also kept it laying down for rest insted of always putting something in a charger.

Well, thanks again!

//joste

It looks very interesting - as mentioned of others a good idea to rethink the existing trends by Black & Decker, Bosch and Dewalt - Its almost always the same.

But I guess that you could maybe make it in some other color schemes. Of all possible colors available, white is probably the least practical for powertools, which are often used with dirty hands, laid on the ground etc.

But I like the simple style.

It would be nice on the renderings to have some kind of scale (even if it was a matchbox or something - not necessarily a hand), because the tools either seem to have a handle that is too big or if the handle is correct the tools are quite small.

/tbroen

Guest PeterPan
Hello again,

Thanks for all the feedback and comments.

The project was as schoolproject and work with design and context and tried to make powertools more domestic instead of always looking handyman, tool and robust.

The targetgroup were young people with limited use of tools and limited storage space. So I worked from the line "If you kept your tools in bottom kitchen drawer." In that you tend to keep everything from a mixer to a screwdriver. I also aimed to keep the function down to simpel working in home area and as a complement to "real" powertools.

I do agree on the charger. Not the best... But I looked for someting to meet the object and haveing the two "heavy" objects togheter rather than seperate (mobile charger). I also kept it laying down for rest insted of always putting something in a charger.

Well, thanks again!

//joste

Hi :cheers:

next time do make a introduction before the showing the renders .....

( because if you a have a study or a explanation for the form or the function then people like me don't wonder in what was the project based on ..... ?! OK ??? )

regards