Product Design Forums

Treasurebox
Sign in to follow this  
Guest Pascal_de_Boer

.3ds Import In Solidworks

Guest Pascal_de_Boer

I am a user of solidworks. a know the program enough to make what i want.

but for my internship i am creating an enviroment to make nice rederings of new products.

so i searched on te web for product to put in my enviroment, but the problem is, the most free ones are .3ds files.

so i looked futher on the web and found this program, an add-in for solidworks:

http://www.sharewareconnection.com/3ds-imp...-solidworks.htm

but after the instalation, i start solidworks, go to tools (as discriped in the reader) an actived the add-in. the problem is, when i activate it, solidworks stops.

does anyone knows/recognize this problem and know how to solve it?

Pascal

Guest NURK

Hi pascal,

I have the same problem.

I think we have to buy 3DS translator.

Guest Pascal_de_Boer

isn't it possible to use an other program, when i google i only find the Sycode version......

Guest Pascal_de_Boer

if nobody knows an answer, probably someone created office-chairs in solisworks, could i use them? the rest of the enviroment is easy to make, but chairs....

There are ways but basically it's a matter of converting the 3DS to a STL or VRML to view the data graphically within SW. Or, in the options, if the import is water-tight, SW will try to knit the faces into a solid (depending on the complexity, this can be very memory intensive)

Otherwise, if you are trying edit or get parts of the tessellated data into SW as a solid or surface,.. you can use Rhino3D to sort out and convert the meshes directly into nurbs faces (MeshToNurb).... WARNING,... again,.. these files can become very large!

Or, using a plugin like T-Splines,.. depending on the data,.. you can get a nurbs patch or closed body?

The other option is ShapeWorks...

http://www.baren-boym.com/index.php?page=p...io&item=90#

Anyhow, this is not straight forward,.. time is needed to make the conversion so, the paid options are not that bad depending on what you need/want....

if nobody knows an answer, probably someone created office-chairs in solisworks, could i use them? the rest of the enviroment is easy to make, but chairs....