Product Design Forums

Treasurebox
Sign in to follow this  
Guest cheerygirl

Do You Really Need An Education To Be A Great Designer?

Guest cheerygirl

I am thinking...

People throwing in thousands to get in to top colleges for design.

And I was told I missed opportunites when i decided to pick it up on my own.

well maybe they are right,

but I think that a fine designer is someone who evolves from their fundamental skills.

And....

maybe that further studying may restrict you unless the prof you are assigned with

is very good at teaching and selfless in delivering the know how.

i know its kind of peanutty question but it spins my head still...

There are a lot of things you can teach yourself, learn from books, etc.

And there are a lot of things you simply can't.

School assignments are designed to teach the student specific skill sets in specific orders - its one of the reason you see so many projects that are similar regardless of what college you went to. If you don't go to school you don't learn about those types of projects, you don't get feedback on your work, you don't have a studio environment of your peers to learn from, etc.

Not only that, the connections made in college are very often the connections that will help you throughout your career, from the first job you land to the people that you'll be working with.

Guest Jay08

I think so....obviously you have people with natural talent in certain areas of product design and education allows you to realise which of these you have aswell as how to develop ones you dont. Theres more to design than the deliverables (the skills for which can be learnt) and education gives you the commercial awareness to become a successful designer.

The quality of design schools is not only om the skill areas taught or the programmes but more importantly with the connections with industry and consulatnts. Also gives you the chance to suss out the competition!

Further studying will not in any way restrict your creativity or skills but can only enhance them.

Guest PeterPan

Hi

A good education is always good education!!!!!!!!!!!!!

& i know that there are no vacancies in the Milano schools of design :(

& i don't care a lot with that fact

I do care about learning what i want in the world that has 1.000.000 different kinds of degrees..........

Book's they help a lot but speaking with a product design teacher ( that has a name or a good signature )

is SIMPLY wonderful.......

I also think that having people to talk to, to have brainstorming (etc..) with are VERY important.......

I'm 25 & i don't plan to stop study until i'm 30 at least ( at a or some schools )

cheers

Guest cheerygirl
There are a lot of things you can teach yourself, learn from books, etc.

And there are a lot of things you simply can't.

School assignments are designed to teach the student specific skill sets in specific orders - its one of the reason you see so many projects that are similar regardless of what college you went to. If you don't go to school you don't learn about those types of projects, you don't get feedback on your work, you don't have a studio environment of your peers to learn from, etc.

Not only that, the connections made in college are very often the connections that will help you throughout your career, from the first job you land to the people that you'll be working with.

True.

some years back I applied to colleges but because times were bad then, I put a hold on my studies.

But at the same time, I was learning on my own, and I found great pleasure in doing so.

Any colleges in mind that would allow a person like me to apply ?

I'm blunt

Curious

Cheery

Hardworking

Very persistent

can be stubborn

but very inquisitive in many different subject areas.

(thats why I chose ID)...

though i am gaining a much better financial foothold now,

I am aiming to buy my first property without mortgage.

Any recommendations for a good college that does not cost too much.

I am considering transferring mid way through the course to a more established one later

to cut expenses.

Guest cheerygirl
I think so....obviously you have people with natural talent in certain areas of product design and education allows you to realise which of these you have aswell as how to develop ones you dont. Theres more to design than the deliverables (the skills for which can be learnt) and education gives you the commercial awareness to become a successful designer.

The quality of design schools is not only om the skill areas taught or the programmes but more importantly with the connections with industry and consulatnts. Also gives you the chance to suss out the competition!

Further studying will not in any way restrict your creativity or skills but can only enhance them.

I don'tknowmuch about that. When I was doing my first degree, I was one of the best, but I didn't recall learning alot

off from professors. It was mainly on my own initiative. Concepts and ideas came very fast to me. Drawing was a breeze but my modelmaking skills were not too good. I often take a long time to complete because the skill sets weren't there. But I was told hand making skills were secondary. I can see why.

Some profs don't exactly tell you much either. You could ask something and you'd be better off looking up on your own. Very often I have more info than them. And because it wasn't directed, my products end up new looking.

Thats why I thought studying may not be such a good idea.

Because you churn out a class of very similar people or very predictable styles and concepts.

But I understand that a good college does bring the best of you. Maybe I haven't had much luck meeting up with this kind of mentor.

Because you churn out a class of very similar people or very predictable styles and concepts.

I know this sentence is taken a bit out of context, but I almost have to comment on it. I don't think that you should be nervous about coming out with a degree along with 40 other clones, that can do exactly the same. I know from experience that almost everyone - at least from my study - have different styles and views on design. It is simply a matter of deciding your own direction when studying. You may learn similar methods and processes, but the way they are applied varies a lot.

Of cause many of these things can be learned through self-studies. But it helps a lot to have experienced professors and lecturers from companies to come and give advice and present knowledge.

/tbroen

Guest Jay08

mmm i have about 160 people in my year at uni...not a single one is the same. Everyone has skillsets that make them good at different things...The fact that we have the same briefs does not mean that we do the same work. A lot is down to interpretaion.

After all, you make it what you want, you ll always get people who just get by. Theyre the clones! Design education is essential...otherwise you get a load of people drawing pretty shapes and pretending to be designers...theres more to design

Of course you have to do a lot on your own but last time I checked, that s what adult learning is. Being spoonfed will generate the clones!

If you're going to a bad school then you aren't going to get much out of it. Likewise if you're going to a GOOD school, there will be far more competition among the students which either drives you to excel or leaves you at the rear of the pack. Professors aren't there to hold your hand, they're there to give you the skills you need and the help to motivate you when you need it. I distinctly remember flipping out on two of my professors during junior year for giving me a grade lower then I thought I deserved. I look back on it now and realize that them giving me that grade and me getting so mad about it is exactly what motivated me to work so much harder the following semester, and personally thanked them for it after graduation.

While I'm not familiar with schools in Asia I know looking at most schools in America every student develops their own unique sense of design which by the time graduation comes around means they'll very rarely have the same skillsets as another student. I graduated with very strong technical skillsets in CAD and average skillsets everywhere else. There were other students that had excelled in sketching/form skills, graphic design, research, UI design, etc. While our projects might have been the same it certainly didn't mean we were.

Guest cheerygirl
If you're going to a bad school then you aren't going to get much out of it. Likewise if you're going to a GOOD school, there will be far more competition among the students which either drives you to excel or leaves you at the rear of the pack. Professors aren't there to hold your hand, they're there to give you the skills you need and the help to motivate you when you need it. I distinctly remember flipping out on two of my professors during junior year for giving me a grade lower then I thought I deserved. I look back on it now and realize that them giving me that grade and me getting so mad about it is exactly what motivated me to work so much harder the following semester, and personally thanked them for it after graduation.

While I'm not familiar with schools in Asia I know looking at most schools in America every student develops their own unique sense of design which by the time graduation comes around means they'll very rarely have the same skillsets as another student. I graduated with very strong technical skillsets in CAD and average skillsets everywhere else. There were other students that had excelled in sketching/form skills, graphic design, research, UI design, etc. While our projects might have been the same it certainly didn't mean we were.

Well, the school had alot of world class designers coming to talk and take up some modules of the course.It was one of the top 5 in the country.BTW, I didn't stay in Asia for my course. I went to Europe. I didn't expect them to spoon feed me, but somehow I sensed that things weren't that generous for me. But when I turned in my work, I usually do it pretty ok. I did my own research, and asked for plenty of opinions from different people in the college and from other fellow students and other profs who were more generous in teaching. I think I was somewhat unlucky to get not so good profs in my final year. My previous years were good. A prof can really make and almost break you. Thinking back, I was pretty tough. And for that, I learnt more about design which is the most invaluable lesson ever. I really mean it.

Life isn't always smooth sailling.You need to translate your skills and creativity into different scenarios.

A truely creative person is also a survivor too.

Another stage of life and career awaits me...

I am just wondering why I have to do it the hard way when some people could simply swim through........

Guest csven

I believe biggest advantage in going to university isn't necessarily with instructors or instruction but with motivation. When a person pays in advance there's greater incentive to work hard. To put in extraordinary hours. Rare for a person to maintain similar levels of motivation - particularly in comparison with the situation in a competitive school - on their own.

There are other advantages as well. Things which aren't readily apparent. Such as learning important lessons from other students. Or making mental connections with seemingly unrelated but compulsory studies.

In the end it depends on the degree of curiosity. The degree of motivation. And a fair amount of luck in experiencing same level of education immersion. Among other things.

Where I admit to having doubts, cheerygirl, is that I didn't find links to your work. People who feel successful generally share results. If your skills are developing successfully, why not put them on display? Proof that going it alone is working. I wouldn't be surprised if you're coming along well, but would be surprised if you were as good as the best graduates.

Guest cheerygirl
Where I admit to having doubts, cheerygirl, is that I didn't find links to your work. People who feel successful generally share results. If your skills are developing successfully, why not put them on display? Proof that going it alone is working. I wouldn't be surprised if you're coming along well, but would be surprised if you were as good as the best graduates.

:)

I like the way you post. :)

In the western perspective, everything must be shown.

Though I am educated overseas and away from the typical asian culture, I still bear

some asian thinking to keep it for now.

No one can work alone as far as design is concerned or as far as anything is concerned.

So I am not working alone though. So don't worry. :)

And I am not anti-social either though I am pretty quiet in person.

Most of the time I smile, and only once in a blue moon I laugh.

I can't say I am as good as the best, because it depends on how it is being seen.

But usually if I put my work in,it is usually pretty nice. ;)

Doesn't matter how people see me, but i do mind not meeting up to my own standards.

I have my own thinking about how things should be done. May not be agreeable

with some, but I have been pretty much motivated.

In my defination the best grads are the ones who gives very original ideas and extremely

creative solution. They must be ethically upright and have the most unique character

that also entails humility, peserverence and determination like no other;

despite various obstacles of the worst kind.

I am aiming for that.

So I don't mind people criting me for lousy. In fact you learn more from that.

Not from praises and definitely not from kind words.

ps: I did put up my work before. Luckily it was only one of those preliminary concepts because it was stolen.

I put in a collage of work in and even that was taken again. That was at least 5 years back.

So my old school mate, who is a lawyer, told me to think it over

about putting anything up online. Well he is a little paranoid and

I do want to try putting work up again sometime round.

Just was surprised that even a sketch and rough work was taken too.

Should consider marrying a hunky dorey who can protect work.

But that wouldn't be so right for a life partner. ;)

Anyway enjoy the weekend. :)

Guest cheerygirl
I believe biggest advantage in going to university isn't necessarily with instructors or instruction but with motivation. When a person pays in advance there's greater incentive to work hard. To put in extraordinary hours. Rare for a person to maintain similar levels of motivation - particularly in comparison with the situation in a competitive school - on their own.

There are other advantages as well. Things which aren't readily apparent. Such as learning important lessons from other students. Or making mental connections with seemingly unrelated but compulsory studies.

In the end it depends on the degree of curiosity. The degree of motivation. And a fair amount of luck in experiencing same level of education immersion. Among other things.

totally agree.

inquisitivity is important, asking the right questions is important too.

people can withheld teaching or delivering knowledge, but if you are the very motivated and astute type

With sincerity, things can still go through though it would be a whole lot tougher.

so motivation is very important along with the necessary wisdom and intelligence.

Networking is fine, but I don't regard currying favour as a means of reaching the goals at all.

Guest shaundesign

When I started I knew that ID was what I wanted to do but I never realized until I started at Uni how many areas ID covered and that there was so much choice and areas that I could be involved in. Having to do all those projects from furniture, kettles, and to store displays it helped me gain a better understanding of the industry and which direction I should go.

Uni and College might not be for everyone and if you go it alone you might be able to succeed but you also may miss out on gaining some valuable knowledge and skills that could be applied to other areas.

Guest cheerygirl
When I started I knew that ID was what I wanted to do but I never realized until I started at Uni how many areas ID covered and that there was so much choice and areas that I could be involved in. Having to do all those projects from furniture, kettles, and to store displays it helped me gain a better understanding of the industry and which direction I should go.

Uni and College might not be for everyone and if you go it alone you might be able to succeed but you also may miss out on gaining some valuable knowledge and skills that could be applied to other areas.

You are right about college and maybe I ask too idealistic about it.

Truely creative people could use ID to survive very well. Its very own education teaches a lot about what life is.

In that sense ID lives!