Product Design Forums

Treasurebox
Sign in to follow this  
Guest Emil Andersson

Hand Drill

Guest Emil Andersson

Here's a quick side view tutorial for a hand drill, done in approx. 15 min. Just roller ball pen and easy Photoshop work for the logo. I think side view sketches can be very good some times in the ideation process. Sorry for the bad quality on the images, just shot them with my iphone.

1. Just put out some outlines very quickly to get the general proportions.

post-9966-1209982114.jpg

2. The second step is to tighten up the linework and connecting the lines drawn in step 1. Start to think about details.

post-9966-1209982283.jpg

3. Quickly adding basic showdows and starting to add parting lines to add form.

post-9966-1209982367.jpg

4. Final sketch. Adding more detail, shadows and parting lines. Used Photoshop to add a logo and a made up product name.

post-9966-1209982495.jpg

Hope you find it useful in some way. Please leave comments!

Guest Emil Andersson

Here's another one made before the one in the tutorial. Hope it's helpful!

post-9966-1209982841.jpg

Guest under-dog

I like the sketching. Little hard to understand in some areas what is going on but overall.....

1st one: I am not a fan. From a functional standpoint if you have ever used a drill in tight spaces the more descreet the front end of the drill the better. I think it looks cumbersome and not well suited for tight spots. Especially because of the wrap around grip that goes all the way to the chuck. Plus it looks as if you have some issues where the motor and spindle would be from a functional standpoint.

2nd one: I like it better seems mor functional. More traditional. Some things are the way they are for a reason. Its a bit bust in areas( where the trigger attaches in and just above the grip in the back. What is the clip for in the front? If it is to hang the drill from your belt or something.....Having used a drill while on a ladder and percariouse situations where you would want or need to hang it from your belt or something else while your not using it. I would rater it hang from the back just above grip so that when I reach fro it it is in a good position to grab it by the grip and not have to fumble around to get a good hold of it.

I would also omit the graphics or change them. Make sure first off they match your perspective. and style you are using. And I dont like the way they wrap off to and cut off part of the graphic. Presented well they can help. Presented poorly they can detract.

What I often do is present the main design clean and have some smaller copy sketches in the background that explore graphic and color break options,

Hope my 2 cents help.

Guest Ashley001

Good sketch,I think your curve is clear and smooth,that's the style I like.

Guest Designer kim
Here's another one made before the one in the tutorial. Hope it's helpful!

post-9966-1209982841.jpg

wow! very very nice sketch!

Bravo! great sketch!

Guest Lilith

superb :clapping: going to try this now! have never used drill in my life so cant talk about functionalities, besides i thought this was more about the sketching process itself.

thanks for sharing :)

Guest Lilith

here is my attempt

copy_hand_drill.jpg

very helpful tutorial, thanks, will try the 2nd drill as well :)