Product Design Forums

Treasurebox
Sign in to follow this  
Guest Adam Hammerman

The Beginnings Of My Portfolio. Help With Development!

Guest Adam Hammerman

Hey everyone,

This is my first post here. This place looks like a great resource. I'm a first year ID student at Academy of Art University in San Francisco. So far, I love it. I'm completely dedicated, and I can't wait for critique during finals week.

Anyways, I've used Coroflot to start assembling a rough portfolio. My ideation sketches have not been scanned up and assembled for presentation yet. I've been busy with class and plan on getting all of that together later this month when finals are over. That said, I'd like you to take a look and give me some feedback now. That way, when I go to revamp everything, I'll have a good amount of incite to go off of.

Please be frank.

www.coroflot.com/aham73

Thanks!

Guest antidesign

Hi Adam,

Welcome. The photoshop phone rendering is quite staggeringly good.

The rest of the portfolio seems to be lacking any real commercial direction but the the tea pot is nice and the robot was maybe an interesting project. Needs more explanation in general but I'm sure you'll put that up in time. Nice photos.

Cheers

Guest Jay08

Some people may not believe you rendered that in photoshop!!!! Its that good. Maybe include some step by step pic cropped in?!

And what antidesign said is valid!!

Guest Adam Hammerman

Thanks guys. I'm almost done a render of an Intellimouse in Illustrator that I'll be posting as well. I'll try and do an exploded view for my Photoshop rendering. As far as commercial direction, I'm finishing a set of high end speakers right now. They are designed specifically for production so I'll make that obvious in my presentation slides.

Those models are from a model making class, not a product development class. The idea is for those three projects to acquaint us with the broad spectrum of model making techniques we will use: foam (laser gun), plastics and HVLP painting (teapot), wood and acrylic (box). When I go through and make slides for each project, I'll note this.

The Sumo bot was from a problem solving class. The projects we did there were aimed at helping us find creative ways of solving problems. I'll note this as well.

Product design classes start for me next fall. I'm very excited to start designing with the real world in mind.

Obviously after 1.5 semesters of design school I won't have a well rounded portfolio yet, but I gotta start somewhere. Keep the feedback coming!

Thanks again, Adam.

Guest Adam Hammerman

I just added descriptions to everything. They are NO replacement for a good project presentation board, but that is all in the works. This will have to do until finals are over. Also added an Illustrator render.

Thanks for taking a look guys. Any more feedback would be greatly appreciated.

Guest antidesign

MS%20IntelliMouse%20Explorer.gif

I agree with Jay that some people might start to get cinical at this point.

The explanation?

Guest Adam Hammerman

Yeah that's the original file. The assignment is to take the picture the teacher gives us and make it look as real as possible as an Illustrator render. Is that not clear on my Coroflot?

Guest antidesign

I guessed that was probably the reason, and the phone also?

I did an exercise like that and also for model making in my first year. I copied a rending of a car (this time with markers and chalks), thinking back I don't learning very much about where the reflections were actually coming from. However you must explore different things when you're starting out.

What also isn't clear about the Adobe renderings is exctly how much you did yourself.

You've obviously layed the image underneath but its also possible to 'borrow' certain areas of the orignal to create shading on your own :D. I really want to believe that you did it all from scratch... but a lot of people wont, or rather you should make sure you demonstrate the different layers etc to demonstrate how you did it, and it'll also make a more interesting page.

Sorry I didn't mean to cast doubt on your work and its not bad for a first year.

Guest Adam Hammerman

I just made some slides for the renderings that have a four picture step by step of how I did it. For the phone, I picked the chrome center button. For the mouse, I picked the left clicker. That should make it more clear and also show process. I made sure the text clearly defined it as an exercise where we rendered an existing project.

Of course, as I move out of my first year, I will fill the portfolio with more and more completely original DESIGN projects. Right now, I am trying to keep it filled with things that display various basic abilities.

But besides that, any further input would be great as once the year is over I'll be revamping all of my pictures and layouts, plus adding new work.

Guest Adam Hammerman

I just added my final Form Development project. It's just a few pictures. I have a full presentation for it, but I need to format it for the web. Ideation/conception/inspiration coming for all projects. I get home Saturday and then the free time begins!

Let me know what you think about the new project. Of course, any and all feedback on the rest of the work is welcome. The more I know before I reformat everything, the better it will go.