#1 Mark Marzouk

Mark Marzouk

Level 3

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 137 posts
  • At:M-Design

Posted 02 May 2008 - 02:12 PM

Hi guys, as some of you know im working on products for mass manufacture for my own company. Here are a few clothes peg designs. Please leave your feedback, it would be much appreciated.

M.

Attached Files

#2 Sketchyd

Sketchyd

Top Member

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 722 posts

Posted 02 May 2008 - 07:09 PM

doesnt it have to have a fastener?
that will "clasp" it shut?

#3 Mark Marzouk

Mark Marzouk

Level 3

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 137 posts

Posted 02 May 2008 - 07:23 PM

I am trying to make the product as simple as possible....like the old days. U not remember these wooden pegs which never failed?

M.

Attached Files

• Attached File  03.jpg   16.97KB   10 downloads

#4 Guest_benz_id_*

Guest_benz_id_*
  • Guests

Posted 02 May 2008 - 08:38 PM

Design no.1 2 and 4 will hold the cloth (maybe) but beside those three all of them won't serve the fucntion that you're desire

Try to make the space between upper clamp and the lower one as close as possible and add some groove to increase the friction of the surface.

#5 Guest_Skint_*

Guest_Skint_*
  • Guests

Posted 06 May 2008 - 09:02 AM

Mark, I remember those wooden pegs too. But I think they were replaced by the conventional plastic ones we all know now for obvious reason. As sketchyd commented, a actual fastening method would be better. Those darn windy days blowing clothes from the line.

Im lazy, I just throw everything in the dryer ;)

#6 grasshoper

grasshoper

Top Member

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 374 posts
  • At:TU Delft

Posted 06 May 2008 - 11:12 AM

Is using wood a constraint for the project ?

the clothes are wet and the wooden clothes pins generally fail in long term usage...
www.ahmetbektes.com

#7 Mark Marzouk

Mark Marzouk

Level 3

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 137 posts

Posted 06 May 2008 - 07:23 PM

Thanx for your input guys. i am working on plastic only products which i will be trying to get into supermarkets etc.... i want to stick to a 1 piece design so the product is sturdy and easy to injection mould. any help would be appreciated.

Thanx. M.

#8 Guest_John Fitzsimmons_*

Guest_John Fitzsimmons_*
  • Guests

Posted 06 May 2008 - 10:16 PM

a useful feature would allow easier handling while in use. maybe daisy chain together. The last plastic clothes pins we used lasted about a week, could not of been more poorly designed. One issue of bright colors is they may attract attention, something you may not want to do with a clothes line. Also think about fairly low finger strength, ie a 60 year old lady with arthritis

#9 Guest_cderby_*

Guest_cderby_*
  • Guests

Posted 13 June 2008 - 07:25 PM

I like the 3rd one the most, pretty unique. Make some tests and see if they actually work?

#10 Guest_newt @ MWE_*

Guest_newt @ MWE_*
  • Guests

Posted 17 July 2008 - 04:49 PM

Hey

1,3 and 5 seem to possess alot of plastic with pretty thick areas. They may end up being quite expensive and problematic to manufacture consistently.

I like the idea of the simple function and the aesthetic reference to the classic wood clip is nice and semantic. As the others have all said, this is really a product that has to work and work well.

It may be best to build several different designs, progressing each as you test the function. This will very likely define alot of the form and you can progress styling from there.

#11 Guest_Skint_*

Guest_Skint_*
  • Guests

Posted 18 July 2008 - 09:18 AM

Do you have access to manufacturing facilities ? If you would like, once you have chosen the design you intend to go for... send me some drawings and I will ask my tool makers what they think and give you an estimated tooling / piece price for your piece of mind.

#12 Guest_csven_*

Guest_csven_*
  • Guests

Posted 18 July 2008 - 07:00 PM

First thought that came to mind was the EKCO Clip 'n Stay. Can't find a pic, but I recall the thing. Clever solution. Simple. One piece iirc, and it clamped. I assume you're referencing it.

[Edit: found a pic on A2's site - Link]

#13 Guest_JelleT_*

Guest_JelleT_*
  • Guests

Posted 21 July 2008 - 11:46 AM

Looks cute... but seems like your mainly focussing on form instead of keeping in mind your tooldirection. Try taking benefit of current production techiques and try to adjust 3 and 5 to single mold parts and not having to use sliders.

#14 A.Lotfy

A.Lotfy

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 30 June 2011 - 11:54 PM

Hi mark, i'd like the 2nd one to be modified (thining the walls) to give a spring action when squezed from the top and a clasp action when released with out the need of springs, but if it is about simplicity i like the third one, one last notice please work on the parting line to take it away from the face sqwezed by fingers it is like a knife,you may use sliders ,cores complex pt line,anything i just hate these flashes, how ever the quality you'll always have them.

#15 Moog

Moog

Level 1

• Members
  • Pip
  • 9 posts

Posted 11 July 2011 - 03:18 AM

better late than never I always say :blink:

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Sponsors: