Product Design Forums

Treasurebox
Sign in to follow this  
tbroen

4 Step Car Rendering With Photoshop

As you probably can see I have taken inspiration in the Audi R8 for this drawing.

The rendering is divided into 4 steps - maybe one more in a while.

1 - Initial Sketch (Saved time by using another car as a reference to the perspective)

2 - First coloring (Flat colors, just to know where there are color differences)

3 - Reflections and gradients (Mostly by using burn and dodge tool with a hard brush tip)

4 - Removing sketchlines (Either by erasing them or coloring them into shades or highlights)

5 - To come - More highlights and better wheels. Maybe also a background.

Total time spent - 6-7 hours

post-17257-1208384099.jpg

post-17257-1208384110.jpg

post-17257-1208384116.jpg

post-17257-1208384123.jpg

Feel free to comment with critique/feedback/tips!

/tbroen

Guest huakakak

not bad.. it could be the form that lil bit weird.. but to the rendering style.. its very crisp, and may be too crisp..

in my opinion, if you do that very careful and crisp, people who see that would hav very little of tolerance, i mean, people would expect to see perfection as the render style, which not so easy to do.. and yeah, such render hav so much tension also...

but if u do sketch and render not so perfectly, i mean it doesnt hav to be 100 percent correct, but maybe 85 or 90. it would be more free, and giv people space to interpret it.. u could say, its more dynamic...

however, that doesnt mean the quality from such render is lower, therefor u hav to pick the right color, put the right value on the right spot..

anyway, its ur decision how to practice and do your thing.. i´m just deliver you another possibility..

keep posting

Thanks for the feedback, I think that you have a good point with regards to the realism of the rendering. Maybe it is a good idea to keep it conceptual unless one want to put a lot of effort into making it as realistic as possible.

For just showing shape it would probably be enough with sketch #3 maybe with some more faded/thinner sketch strokes. I think I will focus more on making the sketch look conceptual next time, instead on focusing that much on the realism.

/tbroen

I think the shading/reflections is pretty unrealistic. Try placing photos of cars in similar lighting situations on your sketch, so you can instantly see the highlights/shadows. Right now you have places lit up that would be in shadow, unless the light is coming from the bottom. Remember where your light source is! Also, those headlights look... photoshopped. Try adjusting their opacity, and adding highlights over the headlights for the lense. Also, all of your highlights are 'soft', giving the car a matte look. Try erasing back on your highlights to get a crisp edge:

Example of crisp highlights, making something look shiny:

post-8137-1218812225.jpg