Product Design Forums

Treasurebox
Sign in to follow this  
Guest benko

What's an Asian, European, American.... design ?

Guest benko

The question is there ,

For you designers , how can you describe an Asian design , can you recognize it

What is an American design , can you characterise it ,

European design is it different ?

For me everything is in the details , for example if you take an asian phone , he 'll be full of gizmo and little shiny pieces ....

But don't you have a theory some really interesting point of view concerning this topic ....I'm sure you have. B)

Guest 0-maze-inc

I guess I would have to see some examples of "classic" designs from each region to be able to distinguish between design styles. Further complicating the mess is the transient nature of design over time. Are we talking about design in 1950 or 2005?

Perhaps you could post some pix to make a point that there is any difference in design styles. thanks

Guest molested_cow

Culture defines design trend. Each culture will take days to write about.... all in all, it's design to suit different needs. Some people may think that the cell phones in the US are untra boring and stupid, but that doesn't mean that the Asian designed, super multi functioned and tiny phones will sell well in the US.

Guest El Ente

In one way or another, our products contain a little piece of our personality and therefore they also contain a bit of our cultural background: what we have learned from our childhood, the things we see everyday in our city, the things we like and dislike, what we talk with our friends...

I guess that fact makes possible to talk about differences between designers of different regions/countries/continents...

The way you group a bunch of people it's only a matter of perspective... can we talk about Scandinavian design or just european Design? maybe Western design vs. Oriental Design??

To me those kind of things are just "labels" to group people with similar characteristics in a particular period of time...

Our lifestiles are almost the same in any part of the world, and so the solutions to our needs. We can't forget our traditional backgound but at the same time the problems they are asking us to solve are almost the same all around the world.

A very peculiar/regional/little solution may fit in very diferent places all around the world... that's the real potential of globalization.

Guest manglii

guess when u see more n experience more, u will know the differences, wat el ente said is rite, theres always this background cultural influences... n tats y in globalisation's topics, theres still this - regionalism...

Guest Dong

The difference of Asian-US-Europe design is not concerned just only culture or how they study "design" in school.

I think who make it (technical part) and who use it (users and market) also influence the styles different. It's not from only designer.

We can't separate which is Asian, US or Europe.. and I think we have no need. I have no idea why have to do this.

It just for pop, trend or fashion..

Only one thing, we need to know is what we design, for whom and where. I think you know "the best design is the one that can support or useful for everybody's need". It should be something like global-like.

Again.. no need to separate it..