Treasurebox
Sign in to follow this  
Guest simpson

Aliasstudio

Guest simpson

Hey, i've got this made in AliasStudio.

lines.jpg

The thing is that i need some help surfacing this shape :/

rail surface produces strange results, but i have a theory that this has something to do with so many cross sections.

but if i use less i won't be able to get the shape that i desire :(

Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks.

Guest simpson

oh, and since i'm new to studiotools it'd be cool if someone with more experience could give some tips on creating such a form. I know there's more that one way to achieve the right results, so it would be cool if someone could share their technique.

Revolve a simple curve with that basic shape around your X axis. Manually manipulate the CV's making sure to keep your hulls planar to keep the shape nice and tidy. Insert isoparms when necessary to increase the complexity of the surface till you can reach that shape. Since you already have the curves in place you can use them as guides to align your surface to.

Check out the tutorial I posted it shows a similar tactic of starting with a simple shape and adding as few isoparms as necessary to tune the shape. If you start with lots of cross sections you wind up with more complexity than you probably need.

Guest simpson

start.jpg

Started with one half of a cylinder.

and just out of curiosity, how do you add isoparms? is there some simple way?

Sorry it that's too simple, but i've watched several tutorials and read a few too, but couldn't find a similar modeling technique in aliasstudio.

I've used max before so this is something like box modeling? am i right?

Edit: and by the way, maybe this will turn out into something that will be useful for others who are starting working with alias too.

Don't start with a Cylinder, that technique might've worked in Max but its not appropriate here.

Revolve one of your curves (assuming it's fairly clean, otherwise rebuild it first) to form long slender egg shape (or a vase type shape looking at what you have now). It will create geometry with fewer CV's than the cylinder and since you revolved from one of your existing curves you already have 1 row of CV's in the right position.

To insert Isoparms use object edit->insert. I suggest copying and pasting your surface to a backup layer however because if you insert a span in the wrong spot and want to get rid of it later you'll have a problem.

If you want find a way to post your wire file and I'll try to model it quickly.

Guest simpson

Hi, that would be cool!

Here's the wire.

wire

Of course i'll be trying the technique you posted above for the time being.

e-mail: simpson@siauliai.aiva.lt

By the way, when should i be using the blend curves and when the common ones?

Guest simpson

revolve.jpg

revolve a curve 180 on Z axis.

Now i'm not sure about pulling the cv's, because i get everything linked to one point on the main curve (that i revolved)

Thats because I told you to revolve around the X axis :(

Revolve one of your curves around a central point (move the pivot to the same point as the tail as a good start). This will give you a multi knot (the linked points) but it will be at an area you want to come to a point anyways.

I ran out of time to show you, but the premise is the same, just revolve around the other axis. That will give you lots of CV's in the direction you want and few in the directions you dont. (You can always add more CV's in the other direction if necessary)

Guest simpson

@#$@#$! i still can't get the thing to work right :(

I get a somewhat edgy surface the way described above.

If i create a round surface, will there be a way to create a sharp corner later? and a concave shape?

few pics of what i need:

goal.jpg

Guest simpson

So, after a whole lot of trial and error i've managed to create a quite nice surface. (i think i'll tweak it a little bit later).

I've used Extend + Align tool

topshape.jpg

Crated a small surface and then extended it and aligned the edge of the extended surface on my curves.

Now comes the bottom part, and then (i don't even know how) i'll try and connect the bottom and the top part. Any tips on that?

topshape2.jpg

I guess i should have created the top and bottom with one single surface :( oh well...

By the way, i still can't find how to turn an 'arc' curve into a edge, like a "C" into an "L".

One more tricky question. Is it possible to get a curve from a surface edge?

Guest simpson

here's a quicky :( if i'm having problems with tangency using symetry, should i turn it off and try constructing the shapes without it? (i mean both sides at once).

Guest simpson

Finished initial shape:

fin1.jpg

Just mirrored/fliped the top shape and aligned its edge cv's to the top-shape edge cv's, and then tweaked the rest to my liking. This way i got the same amount of cv's on both shapes and a nice intersection between them.

Question: is there a way to somehow join the two shapes? so that there's no seam between them? (i know i can tweak the render settings, but i guess i'm just used to welding verts in max too much :(

Lots of questions I'll try to answer them:

By the way, i still can't find how to turn an 'arc' curve into a edge, like a "C" into an "L".

-If you mean to get a hard edge you need to use a 1 degree curve. You can't get a geometrically perfect right angle using 3 or 5 degree curves (though you can get a very tight radius by adding spans)

One more tricky question. Is it possible to get a curve from a surface edge?

-Curve Edit->Duplicate curve.

here's a quicky if i'm having problems with tangency using symetry, should i turn it off and try constructing the shapes without it? (i mean both sides at once).

-It is in almost every case easier to construct half then mirror. In order to have tangency along the center line you need your CV on the centerline and the CV next to it to be perfectly aligned. If they aren't aligned you won't have tangency. If the geometry is very close you just need to turn CV's on and snap them into place (Note this will change your shape if the CV's are way off)

Question: is there a way to somehow join the two shapes? so that there's no seam between them? (i know i can tweak the render settings, but i guess i'm just used to welding verts in max too much

-You can attach the surfaces, but that will change your geometry. The seam occurs because your CV's across the edge aren't aligned. The same way you get tangency across the centerline is the same way to get tangency across surfaces (the more CV's in a row, the greater continuity you will have between the surfaces G1->G2->G3)

Guest simpson

Thanks for your help!

It's really easier when someone gives you some tips :thumbsup:

But i'm far from done and have some more problems ;)

This is i believe quite easy, but somehow i get bizzare results while doing rail surface.

wing.jpg

The white is what i would like to have.