Product Design Forums

Treasurebox
Sign in to follow this  
Guest starlion

Design is a REAL job

Guest starlion

http://www.thewatchdesigncompetition.com/ << boycott this competition . It is very shameful. this competition is a designer killer.

They have a lot concept , and they don't give money , don't pay the winner ....

>>mass-produced, marketed globally ( it's very coll for them , and free for design ) >> will receive major international recognition ( waooo , very good price, you can have major international recognition with another design contest whitch pay for the 1,2,and 3 place )

Don't forget that >> Any work deserves salary

Guest benarent

Hi,

Im new here! had a couple of posts on core77, and have been watching this board for some time (very impressed when i found it!) , but just haven’t posted. I find that even at my university course BA Product design, we get a lot of people coming in and we end out doing commercially driven projects. Some people get very up tight about there ideas and feel that every one is out to steal there idea! But to be honest, as a undergraduate, i (hopfully) am still full of ideas, and just enjoy drawing and designing, so there might as well be some sort of point to it. These kinds of things look great on your CV, and if you win you might actually get something made, which you were able to be as creative as you wanted. If you’re such a good designer giving away one idea/ and concept isn't going to hurt u!

(not it dose say

Winning designer will receive a US$1000 Cash prize and will be offered an employment opportunity at our company. Non-winning designs, which are utilized by our company, will be paid a fee of US$200.
Still only pennies.

Ben

Guest papicas

Sorry, Benarent. I can't agree with you. If you don't value your own work nobody will. Even if winning a prize may seem interesting in the sense that you may get national/ international/ company/ home recognition, the fact that they give you such a low prize money isn't very normal from a company that claims to be "one of the leading watch manufacturers and exporters in Hong Kong" and a huge producer. On top of all, this competition will be held twice a year!!

""The Watch Design Competition will be held twice a year, each ‘spring’ and each ‘fall.'""

If I were you I would bet that the company's job is bull* because they will have every designs they need for each season, and the prize money is just to make it look more serious.

Make a count: 10 new designs per season will cost them top most $3000 every 6 months, which would mean that they are paying for a designer's work $500 a month!! Would you work for that salary? Recognition is a very nice bate, but if, as you say, you are good enough, you don't need to sell yourself for it.

Guest DreaM

i completely agree that this competition is so wrong. I would never participate in that kind of competitions :)