Portfolio...any Thoughts?

• Please log in to reply
11 replies to this topic

#1 Guest_Andrew Austin_*

Guest_Andrew Austin_*
  • Guests

Posted 31 March 2008 - 11:26 PM

Hey guys,

Would appreciate comments and feedback on my mini folio, im a second year student and applying for placements this coming summer!

Portfolio

#2 Guest_Lilith_*

Guest_Lilith_*
  • Guests

Posted 01 April 2008 - 10:12 AM

hey your portfolio is amazing :clapping: i love the management of your layouts, some people just get it overdone but your layouts look just perfect, no more no less ! great job !

#3 Guest_Andrew Austin_*

Guest_Andrew Austin_*
  • Guests

Posted 01 April 2008 - 12:51 PM

Thanks! nice to know it has potential, I get mixed views from my lecturers which is why I posted topic.

I like your site, very easy to navigate, good sketches too. :)

#4 Guest_lufbrasketch_*

Guest_lufbrasketch_*
  • Guests

Posted 01 April 2008 - 11:27 PM

I think the body of work is good, but what you need to do more is emphasise your degree choice, BA or BSc. From your work I can't really tell immediately which route you have taken.

My advice is that if you are doing BA show loads more human-factors related stuff. This doesn't neccessarily mean sammie work or ergonomics or even styling! But things like user research, any ethnography studied, semantics for users/ or products (like you did).
You can still use your mechanical products done in the first year in a clever way if you are a BA student. Concentrate on showing how, from your research, you had to create this product to meet user needs and to create the product you had to design this mechanism etc...As a BA student myself that is what I do and that is what I have been told I should do from people in industry who look to employ BA graduates.

If you are a BSc student, obviously you want to emphasis your more technical skills, but don't miss things relating to research or styling as they are important but don't have to be emphasised as much if you are a BA.

Process is super important, I know as a mini portfolio you cant show the complete process but I think each page needs a bit more organisation for what it shows. Remember, you want to entice the reader into wanting to get you in for an interview and to show them the rest of your work but not overdoo it with loads of work in your mini portfolio otherwise you will have less cool things to show in an interivew.

So, maybe do a nice couple nice and big beauty shots with some initial research + sketches addressing research.

I think maybe the majority of your work just needs reorganising, as I said the main body is there.

#5 Guest_Andrew Austin_*

Guest_Andrew Austin_*
  • Guests

Posted 01 April 2008 - 11:44 PM

Thanks for the excellent advice, I think I need to go back and have a complete reorganisation so I can include the things you have just mentioned like research and ethonography seeing as though im a BA.

Ive probably been a bit foolish by putting most of my best stuff in there as well, ive got a couple of interviews coming up and wont have much more to show them :worried:

Thanks again!

#6 Guest_lufbrasketch_*

Guest_lufbrasketch_*
  • Guests

Posted 02 April 2008 - 12:39 AM

I still think putting in your strong projects are important, otherwise you get them to see your best work, which is a must when sending out a teaser. Just be very careful with what you show them.

Where are the interviews you have coming up?

#7 Guest_Jay08_*

Guest_Jay08_*
  • Guests

Posted 02 April 2008 - 11:29 AM

Interviews are more about meeting the individual and getting a feel for the company and the compatibilty than it is about the folio! SOunds weird but thats how it is. Definitely keep the best stuff in the folio!

#8 Guest_Andrew Austin_*

Guest_Andrew Austin_*
  • Guests

Posted 02 April 2008 - 04:43 PM

Your right Jay, interviews are kind of a two way thing also, they see if you are suitable, passionate and will fit in etc whilst you can see what kind of work you will end up doing, software packages etc. I will end up having to learn solidworks no doubt like you do at Brunel.

Ive got an interview next week in Loughborough itself, rather convinient! Will take on board your advice lufbrasketch and see how it goes, I will ask them what they thought of my portfolio and report back no doubt...

Cheers.

#9 Guest_Jay08_*

Guest_Jay08_*
  • Guests

Posted 02 April 2008 - 07:34 PM

cool... i learnt solidworks off m yown back..Unfortunately brunel dont teach it but its pretty intuitive and there great tuts out there! Let us know how you get on

#10 Guest_Andrew Austin_*

Guest_Andrew Austin_*
  • Guests

Posted 10 April 2008 - 09:26 PM

Interview went well, apparently the work I showed at the interview was more BSC than BA, dont know if thats a good or a bad thing lol. Thanks for your help peeps anyway.

#11 Guest_Jay08_*

Guest_Jay08_*
  • Guests

Posted 10 April 2008 - 09:51 PM

Where was the interview? Not a good or bad thing, just depends on what sort of company it is.

The old BA Vs BSc debate....love it!

#12 Guest_goz38_*

Guest_goz38_*
  • Guests

Posted 16 April 2008 - 03:04 PM

have to say i'm impressed by the work, it does look as though you've tried convey that you're a BSc student, by the layout.
but looking at the actual work, theres a lot of styling in there and i am impressed, good luck with the job hunt.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Sponsors: