Product Design Forums
Sign in to follow this  
thedinomeister

Thedinomeister: Sketches And Renders

your hands look great by themselves

but your doing something wrong when you add your products into it.

also you have some great work here.

but its inconsistent.

i noticed sometimes im like wow nice stuff, and sometimes im like eh could be better.

because ive seen some great stuff, so when i see you waiver back and forth its a bit disappointing.

try to work on consistency.

otherwise great stuff, great work, great thread

keep it up!

The truck is nice...good pen drawing and the marker isn't *bad* but it looks like you got too eager to jump to marker and were working on plain paper instead of a marker pad, lots of bleeding and inconsistent tone.

It's a nice pen drawing so I might even consider tightening it up even more - go over it on a marker pad, tighten up some of the lines, check some of your reflections too- some of them are a little weird and come off as a bit artificial.

Nice sketch though...I really like the design and the form reads really well, would be a kick ass base for a nice tight marker/photoshop rendering.

Sketchyd: I am having huge difficulties with placing products in hands without messing up the forshortening; I see what you mean. Also, you are spot-on about the consistency of my work. The truck was only the first in a series of progressively worse renderings. I don't know what happens to me but I need to work on that-- it's a rollercoaster ride for me right now, sorry for disappointing you by waivering back and forth.

Cyberdemon: Yes I got too eager with the markers. The drawing is on copic marker paper actually which just shows how much I butchered it :oops: I could definitely go over it again and tighten it up. You are very right about the reflections since I really don't know how to deal with them on car surfaces. I have trouble in this area which leads me to BS'ing the reflections a lot of times. However, next week we are covering light and reflections on surfaces in my Design Visualization class so I promise to come back in a few weeks with a better render.

btw, Cyberdemon, are you the guy that came to VT and did the Alias Studio workshop? If so, that was awesome! I was in the front row sitting all the way to the right of you in front of Akshay.

Here's a story board I did for one of my projects with a couple closeups-- both rendered and unrendered (***nothing is final***):

storyboard1td0.jpg

storyboard2qz9.jpg

storyboard3td1.jpg

Guest Taro

good job, not really my style of drawing but urs is really catchy, i like ur line works n all that, ya so im sure u got enough compliments from all that already. so... IM GONNA ASK A QUESTION regarding to HAND drawing in ID courses

in ID courses in university, is it suppose to like.. how u drew it? or is it just the style that differs. and also the shading, is it better to quickly shade in the whole thing, or just like wut u did, crosshatch or line shade in the general dark area?

Guest woli

Hi

Jeez these pages show a great snapshot of your improvement! Your concept and fantasy art seems to have a lot more feeling in it than the ID based sketches. People might not agree but I'd love to see a good mix of the 2.

oli

Dino: Yeah thats me who came down to give the talk. Came down in the spring too but only talked to the juniors and seniors. I'll probably be back in the future...not sure if I'll be talking though.

I just made a video of myself sketching a car. It's not my best work because of the way I had to sketch it to get it recorded on my digital camera. ( I was standing up while looking through my make-shift camera stand which you will see at the end of the video. ) I made this video to show my classmates here at school because I promised them that I would help them with drawing cars. I am not a pro by any means, but I think I can still help them with a few basics. So yeah, this video is mainly for them to look at and pause at any moment to get an idea of what I am doing. So, now please gut me on my sketch so that I can get better.

12 minute sketch-- sped it up at 2X speed to get it to fit on youtube's "10min restrictions"

(you'll notice some editing 10min into the video when I am shading the front fender-- my digital cam stops recording after 10 minutes so I had to continue it on a separate track)

post-21095-1224477674.jpg

Guest Austin Brown

great tutorial. any chance you could let me in on the name of the music in the background? sounds like ideal sketching music.

your style reminds me of a friend of mine who followed a similar track to you. he studied fine art before jumping head first into ID. funny thing is, his sketches and renderings - like yours - looked beautiful and full of life and depth, but he always complained about them taking too long. interstingly, the car sketch in that tutorial seems to break the mold. it's fast, sketchy and rough - just like ID sketching should be.

very cool.

haha, Cyberdemon, that Audi sketch of yours is sweet!

Patrick Hyland -- i use Bic Ultra pens

Austin -- the music is from Moby's new album "Last Night". The first song is called "Oh Yeah" and the last part is another song on the same album called "Degenerates".

Thanks for the comments guys! (darn, I don't have anything scanned at this moment otherwise I would post it B) )