Product Design Forums

Treasurebox
Sign in to follow this  
Guest mlkolb

Bunkspeed Vs Maxwell Render Vs V-ray

Guest mlkolb

I have been trying to decide on a new rendering program, and obviously it not only being an investment in money but also time to learn a new app. I use a Mac, with Parallels unfortunately, so if the renderer runs on the Mac platform thats big points to me considering Rhino and SolidWorks (the CAD packages I use and models I will be rendering) are in Beta state, and working on the Mac version respectively (the best news ever).

From what I've read Maxwell seems like much more of a steep learning curve then the others, although that is not of subjection being the end result is most important really. If there are different tiers of the apps, specify which one.

Guest mlkolb

Excuse me for being redundant. I have looked at previous topics and posts, and am leaning toward Bunkspeed Hypershot due to the quick renderings and results, whereas Maxwell takes a lot of time to get very good results (although they are better).

I am a student and am graduating in May. I use Bryce right now, I know its lame but thats what they taught us in school. So the images will be for my portfolio and website. Would Bunkspeed "web" be sufficient as opposed to "HD?"

Bunkspeed Web is REALLY REALLY low res. It's not even worth getting. If you are a student, however, they do offer a student version for $100, that lasts a year, and has a 4.1MP res. It's a pretty good deal. Hypershot is pretty easy to use, though it's controls are not the most intuitive, and doing stuff like texture mapping is kind of a pain. Also, keep in mind the Mac version of hypershot does NOT work with solidworks files, it works with .obj files ONLY.

Guest idesigner

Maxwell is great if you have the time to set-up your scenes and time to wait for the renders to finish. When you are working to tight deadlines and have a high turnover of concepts, as in the majority of design businesses, this is definitely not the preferred route. Unless you work for a large studio with a dedicated render farm manned by competent staff.

We purchased Hypershot HD around 6 months ago. While the interface could be improved, along with a few other gripes, the software is amazing - especially for a version 1 product. We are able to put out numerous photo-quality renderings on a daily basis or as-and-when needed. The product paid for itself within the first month easily. The other advantage is also that the renderer is CPU based, so it will also be able to run on older systems without a fancy graphics card.

Hypershot has a very short learning curve. However, as with any software, you will constantly be learning new and improved ways of doing the same thing. Maxwell on the other hand does have a steeper learning curve, but is worth spending the time to learn in order to improve your general rendering skills and brush up on your terminology.

In the end, it all depends on what you are aiming to achieve with the software. As a graduating student, it is all about improving your general modelling and rendering skills. You probably will find that your first employer won't have either package, so it will be more of a personal choice at the moment.

Hope it helps!

Ciao

Guest mlkolb

If money where no object would your suggestions change? If so what would you recommend? ...Maya, Lightwave, etc. Thanks again, as you can see I still have yet to decide.

I would have bought the Bunkspeed student version although I'll be graduating next week, but the Mac version isn't up to par with the Windows.

Anyone have favorite tutorials for Modo?

There is no "best" it really comes down to the tradeoffs you are willing to make and what your priorities are?

Speed? Photorealism? For use on the web or for use in print? Need to do animations?

Bunkspeed gets you renderings in real time, Maxwell is very slow even on powerful systems. Vray is good if you already use Rhino as it works as a plug in, not a stand alone app. Imagestudio is quick and has a very small learning curve, but doesn't have the level of realism as many others.

Consider what your priorities are - if you're Mac based you may have more issues - I'm not sure if any of those programs will run stably under parallels.

Guest PeterPan

Hi

cool question

& i think Vray or MentalRay ( for 3DS ) are the answer but I didn't tried Modo 302 !!!

(If I where you I tried VRay)

MentalRay pic 1

VRay pic 2

post-12137-1210290381.jpg

post-12137-1210290546.jpg

Nice renders!

Hi

cool question

& i think Vray or MentalRay ( for 3DS ) are the answer but I didn't tried Modo 302 !!!

MentalRay pic 1

VRay pic 2

Guest mlkolb
There is no "best" it really comes down to the tradeoffs you are willing to make and what your priorities are?

Speed? Photorealism? For use on the web or for use in print? Need to do animations?

Bunkspeed gets you renderings in real time, Maxwell is very slow even on powerful systems. Vray is good if you already use Rhino as it works as a plug in, not a stand alone app. Imagestudio is quick and has a very small learning curve, but doesn't have the level of realism as many others.

Consider what your priorities are - if you're Mac based you may have more issues - I'm not sure if any of those programs will run stably under parallels.

-I haven't any need for animations, if that narrows it down, but wouldn't eliminate a good app if it had it

-Any cost.

-Need to use for my portfolio, so photorealism would only be more helpful/beneficial

-BunkSpeed is great we have it here where I intern, but put some work into the MAC version already

Hi

cool question

MentalRay pic 1

VRay pic 2

Very nice renders! Thanks! I didn't realize that Maya's standalone was Mental Ray. There seems to be quite a bit of versions depending on which software you are using it with. Would you know which version would work with both Rhino 3D and SolidWorks? Although I highly considered VRay, I only dismissed it since I use the two CAD packages regularly, so I would like to learn one rendering program well and thourough then say SolidWorks Photoworks and VRay. The newest version of Mental Ray is 3.6.51 currently...

How is the learning curve/time invested to get photorealism results? Is it very slow as Maxwell vs fast as HyperShot?

Right now from recommendations/research I have this list (not in any particular order):

-Mental Ray 3.6

-Maya

-BunkSpeed HyperShot (HDR/HDRI is niiice)

-Maxwell

-Lightwave? (don't know much about this one)

-Cinema 4D (seems to be geared toward animation?)

any others? other opinions?

Thanks guys/girls!

Maya + Mental Ray is the only one I can think of that will run natively on the Mac. It's the most thorough in my opinion and when used properly can balance speed with realism.

Maxwell is ultra realistic but the slowest - I don't believe it will run very well on a Mac if you're in parallels but youd have to test it.

Bunkspeed is also very nice, and obviously the fastest - but I also don't know if it'll run on a Mac - you'd have to dl the demo and test it.

I wouldn't bother with Lightwave or C4D, they're good apps in their own space, but for ID work don't have much relevance and there are better choices for rendering.

Guest mlkolb
Maya + Mental Ray is the only one I can think of that will run natively on the Mac. It's the most thorough in my opinion and when used properly can balance speed with realism.

Maxwell is ultra realistic but the slowest - I don't believe it will run very well on a Mac if you're in parallels but youd have to test it.

Bunkspeed is also very nice, and obviously the fastest - but I also don't know if it'll run on a Mac - you'd have to dl the demo and test it.

I wouldn't bother with Lightwave or C4D, they're good apps in their own space, but for ID work don't have much relevance and there are better choices for rendering.

Does Mental Ray standalone have any additional features,etc. that Maya does not?

Cards on the table first. I use/my team use Hypershot HD, Maxwell, FormZ Renderzone Plus (LightWorks rendering engine), Cinema 4D for rendering. All run EQUALLY as well and NATIVELY on Mac and Windows.

For animation we use Cinema 4D and occasionally FormZ - but we don't do much animation (never the time).

In terms of licensing Hypershot is tied down to a single machine. This is a drawback, but not in itself unusual in high end rendering systems - Maya is the same. However, if you are a Mac user and running Windows via Boot Camp or Parallels, you can install the Windows version and Mac version of Hypershot on the same machine. Use the Windows version to import SolidWorks etc files, save as a .BIP (the Hypershot native file format), and open in the Mac version for rendering. According to the guys at Bunkspeed the memory handling under OSX is far better than on Windows meaning that you can load up bigger models without crashing and burning.

Maxwell lets you install (I think) on 4 machines, and these can be cross platform as well. FormZ is dongled, Cinema I can't recall (I rarely use it myself).

ALL the rendering systems above utilise multiple core hardware and graphics cards don't really matter too much (in my experience).

In use, Hypershot is rendering only. It is ideal for doing product design type work - basically it is ideal for rendering things that are self coloured, or painted. It works very well with SolidWorks but there are times when the texture mapping in SolidWorks leads to errors in Hypershot, and in these situations you need another software to set up the texture mapping before sending it to Hypershot as an OBJ file. Hypershot is also a bit limited in terms of moving parts around, so you need to do this before exporting from your modelling app. Having said all that I know most if not all of these issues are being sorted for version 2.

Maxwell, is more rounded in terms of handling models from other systems. Its plug ins are generally very good, and it is easy to change parts/retexture etc in the Studio. The downside to Maxwell is the rendering time. It is slow, but for product type shots it is not that slow. Quality is fantastic once you get a setup you can replicate. If you go onto the maxwell forum check out Hyltom's Gallery in the Gallery section - http://www.maxwellrender.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=13215

This guy IS the man when it comes to product rendering in maxwell.

FormZ we use as a modeller for some types of design work and sometimes for rendering. FormZ's modelling and rendering system are very robust. What I like about rendering in FormZ is that it uses real world units for textures and decals, so it is very easy to do extensive texturing and decal work very accurately. The rendering engine itself uses LightWorks (also used by Ashlar, PTC, VectorWorks, Punch and loads of others) which is reasonably quick.

So the choice. As a designer churning out concepts and presentation material against a deadline there is only one choice - Hypershot. OK there are some issues, but honestly, I can set up a file in SolidWorks, open it in Hypershot, assign materials and HDRI lighting and a backdrop and set up the camera so my product sits in the scene in realtime and render out a 4million pixel visual in under 10 mins - no problem. Last job, this morning, I did 7 visuals in 60 mins. All different. The HD version will be OK for 90% of your design needs. On the odd occasion you need a higher res, just scale it in Photoshop - I do this all the time for print adverts and brochures with no real issues. If you are producing car brochures then maybe the Pro version is needed.

Since I bought Hypershot last August I reckon my use of it has increased and my need for other rendering systems has decreased. To be honest I rarely use Maxwell anymore - just too slow.

Rule of thumb. If you can't get to grips with the software for rendering and produce decent results in a few hours of use you sure as hell won't when you are up against it.

Maxwell has b

Guest mlkolb
In terms of licensing Hypershot is tied down to a single machine. This is a drawback, but not in itself unusual in high end rendering systems - Maya is the same. However, if you are a Mac user and running Windows via Boot Camp or Parallels, you can install the Windows version and Mac version of Hypershot on the same machine. Use the Windows version to import SolidWorks etc files, save as a .BIP (the Hypershot native file format), and open in the Mac version for rendering. According to the guys at Bunkspeed the memory handling under OSX is far better than on Windows meaning that you can load up bigger models without crashing and burning.

Great, then I'll def get the student version and install it as you stated, great idea! Too bad it will take up twice the HD space though having to install it twice on my MacBook... I have Maya 2008 for OSX and I'm going to give that a go as well before purchasing HyperShot

Guest PeterPan
didn't realize that Maya's standalone was Mental Ray

I know its 3D studio max's "standalone" if is Maya's i don't know .....

what i do know is VRay is faster that MentalRay ( in quick renders )!!!!

And if you work with MaxWell in SolidWorks or Maya you are going to grab the nearest baseball bat & there goes the screen !!!! ( because of texturing )

that's because i say VRay is cool ; you work with it ( it is possible but it's cool having the "trick's book for it" ... )if you want to achieve real quality.

& i work with Acad 2008 !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

regards !!!!