- - - - -

Hightech Cutting Board

• Please log in to reply
16 replies to this topic

#1 Guest_Nardo_*

Guest_Nardo_*
  • Guests

Posted 25 March 2008 - 11:18 PM

Here is a project i just completed in school where the object was to create a computer that not only targeted a specified niche market but was environmentally friendly.

Check out my portfolio at nardo.ca

Attached Files

#2 Guest_toodef1_*

Guest_toodef1_*
  • Guests

Posted 26 March 2008 - 01:40 AM

HI there - can you tell us what your market niche was ? And how your product addresses the requirement of being environmentally freindly, so to speak - theres several ways to acheive this and id be interested to get your thoughts.

Renderings and presenatation are pretty solid.

h

#3 Guest_DavidB_*

Guest_DavidB_*
  • Guests

Posted 26 March 2008 - 02:19 AM

i really like the idea but some question come to my mind ,
-how do you "connect" your plate to download recipe? wi-fi, bluetooth?
- how do you "navigate in it? is there a way to keep multiple recipe in some HD?
the only thing that come to my mind while thinking cooking is a touchscreen, ( using a mouse would be insalubre)
but a touch screen under tempered glass???

anyway, i agree with toofdef1, the presentation and rendering are top notch.

#4 Guest_madmatt_*

Guest_madmatt_*
  • Guests

Posted 26 March 2008 - 10:49 AM

I found it so cool!!!

What program did you use for model it?

is it touch screen?

#5 Guest_Spezz_*

Guest_Spezz_*
  • Guests

Posted 26 March 2008 - 03:04 PM

Nice looking thing but utterly useless. We simply don't cutting-board computers. This is a typical example of a gadget, sorry.
Presentation is nice tho.

#6 grasshoper

grasshoper

Top Member

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 374 posts
  • At:TU Delft

Posted 26 March 2008 - 06:45 PM

Think the action of butcher plane: I think it is the simplest way of cutting the fruits,vagatables,..etc.. think new generation cutting sliding gadgets nicer dicer :D , more tenchonogical gadgets.. Putting an information channel to a cutting plane is not the same to use table surface for giving information.(my opinion).İt is not suitable.

As David said about the interface and controlling data is big problem. Charging unit, how? with what? ... There is no answer.

About the shape of design has problems also.The product needs barrier for liquid of fruits.

The environment which you used not suitable for the product.Your presentation makes your product simple however, find more simple minimalist kitchen for your product.

Convergence on which point ?

Thank you for sharing with us. I like the presentation.
www.ahmetbektes.com

#7 Guest_Nardo_*

Guest_Nardo_*
  • Guests

Posted 26 March 2008 - 06:50 PM

HI there - can you tell us what your market niche was ? And how your product addresses the requirement of being environmentally freindly, so to speak - theres several ways to acheive this and id be interested to get your thoughts.

Renderings and presenatation are pretty solid.

h

The market niche is fairly large ranging from college students (who love high-tech gadgets) to newly weds learning some meals or the stay at home mom. Age could range from 18-45, both male and female.

The environmentally friendly side was explained in a little more depth with some research slides that i have not presented in this forum, it was meant to just simply display what was done.....BUT....the environmentally side of things was based on the materials used. Glass is 100 percent recyclable, Chroming is toxic but with new science discoveries "they" have engineered a safer chroming process which utilizes "Trivalent Chroming Protection", and the motherboard of the unit is Lead and Bromine free (which are both harmful to the environment)

#8 Guest_Nardo_*

Guest_Nardo_*
  • Guests

Posted 26 March 2008 - 06:51 PM

I found it so cool!!!

What program did you use for model it?

is it touch screen?

product was built in solidworks 2008 and rendered in photoworks

#9 Guest_Nardo_*

Guest_Nardo_*
  • Guests

Posted 26 March 2008 - 06:58 PM

Sorry, I should have stated that the project was also meant to display "future thinking". so things like connectivity, transfer of data, and hard drive space were just mentioned and not fully research or explained in any great detail

#10 Guest_Nardo_*

Guest_Nardo_*
  • Guests

Posted 26 March 2008 - 07:02 PM

Think the action of butcher plane: I think it is the simplest way of cutting the fruits,vagatables,..etc.. think new generation cutting sliding gadgets nicer dicer :D , more tenchonogical gadgets.. Putting an information channel to a cutting plane is not the same to use table surface for giving information.(my opinion).İt is not suitable.

As David said about the interface and controlling data is big problem. Charging unit, how? with what? ... There is no answer.

About the shape of design has problems also.The product needs barrier for liquid of fruits.

The environment which you used not suitable for the product.Your presentation makes your product simple however, find more simple minimalist kitchen for your product.

Convergence on which point ?

Thank you for sharing with us. I like the presentation.

Thanks for the input....i totally agree with you on the whole environment. Ill keep that in mind for next time.

#11 Guest_superbad_*

Guest_superbad_*
  • Guests

Posted 26 March 2008 - 08:23 PM

First, beautiful renderings, especially considering they were done in Photoworks.

However, as an avid (and former professional) cook, I am highly skeptical of the need for this. A couple of thoughts:

1. You need to be able to throw it in the dishwasher. Dishwashers have high temperature drying cycles, very hot water, steam, etc. Even if you can conceivably engineer a small computer that is dishwasher safe, the perception will be that it isn't. All those material changes between the glass and metal make sealing even more difficult.

2. Anywhere you change materials between glass and metal, you have a small gap, which is ideal for breeding bacteria- lysteria, e. coli, botulinum, etc.

3. It's hard to read a recipe when it's covered with julienned carrots or whatever.

4. Glass is a terrible material to cut on.

5. Those raised corners really reduce the effective cutting area. They look good, but are functionally poor.

6. Calling this environmentally friendly is a bit greenwashy. This is an unnecessary gadget that vastly increases resource use over what it replaces. And that's fine, lots of things do that- just don't try to co-opt it as something green. It's not.

7. Perhaps most importantly, there has been a long standing resistance among consumers to bringing computers and electronics into the kitchen. One of the first applications mooted for home PCs (back in the 60s) was cataloging of recipes- that still hasn't caught on almost 50 years later.

#12 Guest_jjdon_*

Guest_jjdon_*
  • Guests

Posted 27 March 2008 - 01:07 AM

>4. Glass is a terrible material to cut on.

I'm fairly new around here, and I'm sorry to rain on Nardo's parade - beautifully done, beautifull presented, but like Superbad says, you should have asked a chef. Glass isn't terrible, it's the worst possible choice - no chef would put a $100+ knife on that board ever - even a $20 version - it will be dull after the simplest job. And the raised edges are cute, but they defeat the purpose of a cutting board - getting a knife to the work, and most importantly without injury. Take a 12" chef's knife and chop carrots - the knuckles of your hand will be 1/2" above a normal cutting board, and one time you'll cut N-S, and the next you'll be E-W. You simply cannot reach down inside of something with a knife. Sorry, speaking as an advanced home chef, if you gave it to me I'd - well, I hate to say I'd throw it away, maybe I'd "regift" it.....

#13 Guest_kronos_*

Guest_kronos_*
  • Guests

Posted 29 March 2008 - 07:16 PM

yo!
I really think that these rendered images are a nice thing, but I see that more and more coming..people are totally fascinated by only making products looking good in the computer 3d way. that's still not the product, only the concept. making something is very different, dealing with materials and it's behaviours while forming a shape is a VERY different process then just making something look good in the bits bytes environment. please do not get me wrong your stuff looks great and all, but imagine how it is like to have a EAL product, instead of something hypothetical....best wishes

#14 Sketchyd

Sketchyd

Top Member

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 722 posts

Posted 30 March 2008 - 02:04 AM

everything superbad said.
+ i see this concept as more about technology than product design.

#15 Guest_laura_*

Guest_laura_*
  • Guests

Posted 05 April 2008 - 12:25 PM

First, beautiful renderings, especially considering they were done in Photoworks.

1. You need to be able to throw it in the dishwasher. Dishwashers have high temperature drying cycles, very hot water, steam

3. It's hard to read a recipe when it's covered with julienned carrots or whatever.

5. Those raised corners really reduce the effective cutting area. They look good, but are functionally poor.

6. Calling this environmentally friendly is a bit greenwashy. just don't try to co-opt it as something green. It's not.

I'd agree with all these *edited* points. It looks really 'Cool'. But it's a little impractical in satisfying the basic needs of a chopping board. The raised corners look good too, and I can see how these may be useful from the perspective of stopping the food from falling off the edge of it when scraping scraps into the bin. The main problem I would say is the fact that as soon as you start cutting anything on it, the recipe becomes obscured! Maybe if you designed such an interface for say on the wall of the kitchen? I don't see the need for it to be a part of the chopping board itself?

Sorry...all that seemed rather negative. I'd say overall that it looks great but it needs some additional user analysis. And if you are going to use as many materials/electronics etc...i doubt it would be easily marketable as being 'green'.

Howie
xxx

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Sponsors:
Android Tablet
Designer Store