Product Design Forums

Treasurebox
Sign in to follow this  
Guest JelleT

Catia Photostudio Rendering

Guest JelleT

Hi all,

Hope someone can help me on this one. Currently investigating the CATIA Photostudio but having some trouble finding the right settings. Since CATIA is using the Mental Ray engine (only integrated no standalone) I'm expecting a lot more than what I've been able to reach so far.

Does anyone have experience in rendering with CATIA v5 (Photostudio + optimizer)?

Added 2 examples of the CATIA-help model, one in a self made environment other in a RealVizStitcher environment, that's the one with image on the background. Question is purely on the rendering part not on the modelling side.

Edit: Both are in perspective, the model is just a little weird

post-17934-1205841096.jpg

Guest JelleT

Done some new tests, since no one seems to have any experience with Photostudio I'll be continiously updating my experience with Photostudio...hoping some day, someone will pass by to give me tips :thumbsup:

Any tips on the further part of rendering are welcome as well, I'll try to do a render of this model in Hypershot (trial version) to have a good benchmark :D

post-17934-1206715572.jpg

post-17934-1206715602.jpg

Guest JelleT

Having trouble loading the file in Hypershot

Update of progress in CATIA, any comments?

post-17934-1207746224.jpg

The Volvo model looks awesome, very detailed and accurate.

Maybe you could try it in a studio environment instead, or at least with a backdrop?

Guest JelleT
The Volvo model looks awesome, very detailed and accurate.

Maybe you could try it in a studio environment instead, or at least with a backdrop?

Like this? Still not happy with the reflections on the hood though but working on it..

post-17934-1207927189.jpg

Guest JelleT

Finally managed to import the Volvo model in HyperShot

Here are the results, I'll try to reach the same level with CATIA but I know it will take a while to get even close to this :-P

post-17934-1209137905.jpg

post-17934-1209137918.jpg

Guest JelleT
Why bother then? Buy Hypershot!

Would be an easy decision when no software was bought yet. I have CATIA Photostudio, purchasing Hypershot is yet another extra program to spend my money on. CATIA can't match hypershot at this time but working with Nvidia and Mental Images will certainly be of great value in the future.

Heh, I actually like the last CATIA rendering better than the hypershot ones. If you finish the model with details and work a little on the materials (tyres and other plastics) I think it will look awesome.

Maybe so but I see you are a professional from your profile, and assuming you actually bought CATIA v5 you are spending what - 3000+ Euros a year to stay on the subscription plan, not to mention the capital costs of CATIA itself (which are at least 10,000 Euros in the UK for the starter package - more for anything that includes Photorendering)? Hypershot is about £550 to £600 for the HD version (which is more than adequate for design use). The Pro version (unlimited resolution) is about £1400 I think.

At that level and given Hypershot has nearly zero interface, gives more or less instant fantastic results with minimal input, and is especially designed for automotive rendering then your downtime learning Catia's rendering vs being immediately productive in Hypershot is a significant cost (not to mention Hypershot is a very fast renderer).

I'm a SolidWorks user and I bought Hypershot against using PhotoWorks. Hypershot paid for itself in one job in terms of time saved. In terms of ROI we use no better software.......and no I don't sell it :)

Guest JelleT
Maybe so but I see you are a professional from your profile, and assuming you actually bought CATIA v5 you are spending what - 3000+ Euros a year to stay on the subscription plan, not to mention the capital costs of CATIA itself (which are at least 10,000 Euros in the UK for the starter package - more for anything that includes Photorendering)? Hypershot is about £550 to £600 for the HD version (which is more than adequate for design use). The Pro version (unlimited resolution) is about £1400 I think.

At that level and given Hypershot has nearly zero interface, gives more or less instant fantastic results with minimal input, and is especially designed for automotive rendering then your downtime learning Catia's rendering vs being immediately productive in Hypershot is a significant cost (not to mention Hypershot is a very fast renderer).

I'm a SolidWorks user and I bought Hypershot against using PhotoWorks. Hypershot paid for itself in one job in terms of time saved. In terms of ROI we use no better software.......and no I don't sell it :)

If only it was that easy, there are a lot of other factors involved, which I'm definitely not going to bore this topic with.

I appreciate your saying in this however.

This topic was about CATIA rendering in Photostudio not a decision making comparison between Photostudio and Hypershot. I know now (I didn't in the beginning of the topic) that Photostudio gets merged into RTR (real time rendering) more and more in future releases of CATIA. What I've seen so far of RTR is very promising. But I got to work with it first to make a good judgement.

Guest skateboardkid

Modo is only 800 US and does very impressive renders, it is what I use for furniture visualizations. Will give better results than either program being compared above.

Guest simpson

please don't compare modo to catia. they are totaly different applications for totaly different purposes.

Guest JelleT
Heh, I actually like the last CATIA rendering better than the hypershot ones. If you finish the model with details and work a little on the materials (tyres and other plastics) I think it will look awesome.

Let me add another Hypershot rendering to prove my point, previous renderings wheren't made with High resolution backgrounds. Neither is this one, but the quality is definitely better. Quality is of the renderings stands with the HDRI used as environment in this program, I've seen results with high resolution HDRI's with this model. They give a far more realistic rendering than posted previously.

I'll keep this topic up to date with CATIA renderings, but don't be expecting anything soon.

post-17934-1211550762.jpg