Product Design Forums

Treasurebox
Sign in to follow this  
Guest cderby

Ariel "vento".....wind Kart

Guest cderby

Hello all,

This is my project in my product studio, it\'s second semester of my junior year and mid-term, so that\'s where I am with the project.

BACKGROUND:

Wind Rally is a competitive and/or recreational sport involving the use of an amphibious wind powered kart. The vehicle “Vento,” is a single person kart that has the ability to float on water and cruise across flat land while being powered by a large sail. The adventurous sport of Wind Rally is a two part race that traverses extremes in both water and on land. The start and finish of the rally can be located any where in the world. The wind kart Vento can also be used as a recreational vehicle for persons exploring their weekend getaway or searching for an adrenaline rush.

EQUIPMENT:

Vento

The only equipment for Wind Rally is the use of Vento, the amphibious wind powered kart. This vehicle has the ability to conquer land and water. Vento is made of a solid carbon fiber body which makes it extremely lightweight and impact resistant. Other parts and materials include an aluminum tube frame which creates the exoskeleton and various other metal and plastic parts. Having a large single sail and a wide stance makes the vehicle very stable at higher speeds and wind currents. The wheels act as most of the flotation for the vehicle while the body is gently suspended above the ground. Other unique features of the vehicle include a rear storage compartment and parts that easily break down for transport.

WHO RACES?:

Competitors for Wind Rally include commercially sponsored companies, world nations and the privately owned. Vento can only hold a single person. Competitors should be aware of all conventional sailing techniques as well as vehicle maintenance. Certain races can take over several days to complete, therefore nature’s elements can take a toll on any driver. In this case competitors are required to be in top physical shape. Other than these guidelines, any able man or woman may compete to victory.

RACE OVERVIEW:

Wind Rally is a nationally competitive race that can last over several days. The races start and end anywhere in the world, the locations are endless. Teams will race the vehicle Vento over two stages starting on either land or water. There is no limit to the amount of teams that can apply for each event. Each team has one driver/pilot for each event therefore switching drivers in mid-race is not permitted. Depending on the length of the race, stops are allowed for the driver for any reason. Stops should be minimal because 1st place is awarded to the first team to arrive at the finish.

Extreme sport image board:

32.jpg

24.jpg

25.jpg

26.jpg

29.jpg

28.jpg

30.jpg

17.jpg

Guest mr_charisma

Interesting concept, I like your sketches. But from a functional point of view the sail needs to be at the centre of mass in the vessel, just like a planes wing wouldnt work if it was at the very back of the aircraft, and I am assuming you have considered steering in water - ie. using a centreboard and rudder. Also when wind hits this thing in water its going to tilt over, have you considered how this impacts the flotation and speed of the kart only being supported by two wheels.

If you are serious about pushing yourself forward with the concept then I would be looking into sailing and fluid dynamics a bit more to get a more realistic functional design.

Guest cderby

Yea, good points mr charisma. I looked a lot at the dynamics of a catamaran and why it has no keel, they're wide enough where a keel isn't needed. Also, my vehicle floats on the wheels, the center of the body is suspended above the water and ground. You made a good point about the sail being too rearward. I have thought about everything with this project with respect to the driver position and motion of the kart.

I centered the driver in the kart in an attempt to balance the weight out. Because it will be such a light craft the heaviest part will be the driver. Also it steers very similar to a lake kayak where the driver has pedals and cables that move different parts. There will be a section of the rear wing that will move like a rudder and the front wheels will also rotate.

You mentioned what if it tips over.......being very light and wide helps. Also being able to adjust the sail to counterbalance the direction of the wind is a major factor in the stabilization. A combination of these aspects should allow the kart to sail across land and/or water. And on land, projected top speed should be around 60-70 mph.

Any further imput would be greatly appreciated.

Guest mr_charisma

if you are referring to a hobie cat not having a keel, its all to do with the hull shape being a deep v hull, pretty much all other catamarans have keels or centreboards on both hulls this provides stability and allows for forward movement rather than sideways drift.

Since your design only relies upon wheels being in contact with the water, this will not move forward at all!

Yes to some extent adjusting the trim of the sail will help counterbalance the kart from heeling over but it also helps if the driver/ skipper is able to move his/her weight around aswell instead of being locked into the central cockpit. Yes catamarans are more stable then a monohull design when there is very little wind, but with a good breeze they are just as tippy as any other boat - and if this thing were to tip over, have you thought about how the user is going to get the kart upright again!

The pics might emphasise my point

post-13234-1205480348.jpg

post-13234-1205480360.jpg

post-13234-1205480539.jpg

Guest Lilith

i like the concept , very nice sketches, looking forward for renderings, good luck :)

Guest dmac

I think your biggest problem is the rig as mentioned eariler is too far aft. This places the centre of effort right at the back.

Now on a vessel that sails in the water the center of lateral resistance is generally the pivot point of the boat and thus where the keel and mast/rig(centre of effort) is positioned around.

Now depending on wind conditions and how the boat is trimmed. The centre of lateral resistance will shift forward or backwards of its normal position. Generally yachts are rigged and sailed (on a close hauled course at least) so the boat has what is called Weather Helm. – This balances the boat so the helmsman is able to feel the yachts rudder in the water with minimal drag, if the helm is released in this state the boat will round up to windward.

Your design suggests to me your craft will have very heavy weather helm and steering will be very heavy. Changing tacks on your craft may be very difficult too. Have a look at other land yachts they generally have the rig positioned near the front of the craft with a raked back mast for heavy winds.

Guest A-train

reading the replies you have to make out your mind, are you a student that wants to push boundaries and stretch peoples ideas and mind by doing something wicked and never heard of. Or are you a professional land yacht builder that wants to see this thing happen in real life.

Looking at you r sketches and imagination you are trying to stick the that first class. when I was still studying I figured out that you cant take all constrains in consideration. So its better to take some and put emphasis on that. For example. wind stability, aerodynamics, or easy to transport.

don't forget that it should look freaking awesome. With your sketches you have 2 feelings going. or body panels or visual structure and skeleton. I think step 1 is to take a decision there and stick with it. personally, the first sketches please me more if it is done right,

cant wait for the next steps to show up

A-train

portfolio