Product Design Forums

Treasurebox
Sign in to follow this  
Guest Umph

Copic: Original Vs Sketch

Guest Umph

Hi all,

I'm interested in buying some copic markers as i've heard a lot of great things about them. Just wondering what they are like for illustration work?

Also, i've come across 2 types: original and sketch. I know that the sketch has a "brush" type nib, which sounds interesting, but then i found out that you can get a replacement "brush" nib for the original too. If I dish out the cash for the original markers, would it be worth buying the replacement brush tips? I want to use them for illustration work in conjunction with an airbrush.

So what do you guys think is best for me? To stick with the fine tip or go for the brush nibs? Any tips (no pun intended) or/and advice will be greatly appreciated.

Thank you.

Guest P3NGU1N

Ok, the big thing here is that we can't tell you what's best for you. I find that I rarely, if ever, use the fine point tips on the normal Copic markers. Personally I got them because their reservoir of ink is larger than the sketch markers. I don't think I would use the brush nib, either. It would not be worth it to buy originals and then buy nibs to replace. Infact that's simply a waste of money.

One other thing to point out is that the originals do not have the full gamut of copic colors. The sketch markers have every color that Copic markers but the originals do not (eg. b91 b93 b95 b97 b99). This is easily remedied by buying blank originals (they have a translucent white cap with NO markings on it. Do not buy the one that says "Blender 0") and filling them with the "Various ink" refills.

Guest firecracker

Copics are just plain expensive whichever ones you choose.

Markers are markers, its about how you use them.

Copics have a narrower shape and smoother nib which is a tiny bit nicer but it really wont effect your output.

I personally use shinhan touch twins which are clones of magic markers.

They now also make clones of copic sketch markers, so much cheaper - you wont be afraid to actually use them!

Guest Umph

Just got some copic originals today, and oh my - these things are beautiful. Colours look really vibrant compared to some trias i got a while back. Got myself 36 pieces, not one of the sets, bought them individually. Only way to get what you want i suppose. Anyway, gonna experiment some more with them. Got an Iwata airbrush to play with also.

- you wont be afraid to actually use them!

Well they were expensive, but if you think about it. They are refillable and the refills cost about the same price as one marker, which gives you about 5+ refills. A good long term investment if you ask me.

:)

Guest A17

I was about to ask my teacher to order a cool grey marker set for me because she can get a discount and I can't.

However, the price of them I don't know, I seen sketch online, but i've never seen original. What's wrong with Ciao? I was thinking about getting Ciao since my art store has them. but they don't have sets. I'm still debating wheter i should buy copic grey set or Prismacolor grey set.