Product Design Forums

Treasurebox
Sign in to follow this  
cash68

Critique My Portfolio Design

I'm working on getting my portfolio together, and this is the template I'm thinking about using. Obviously I'll include sketches, lots of projects, etc, but what do you think of the border and the name, typeface, etc?

Any tips would be much appreciated. Once I finish I'll post it up here.

template_by_cash68.jpg

The basic layout seems ok - shrink down or remove your nameplate on the bottom right. You don't really need your name on every page, that real estate could probably be better used elsewhere. The type is rather standard - I might try and find some other typefaces that come off as clean, but not as boring.

And don't forget about the importantace of white space and what medium you're designing for. Are these meant to be web only? 8x11? 11x17? It's tempting to try and design a portfolio page that will work well both on screen and on paper, but it can become fairly difficult and prohibit you from sizing elements the way they really want to be sized.

Thanks for the ideas so far! They will be 11X14, I shrunk it down to fit this website.... basically my reasoning for having my name really large is this: On tuesday, a large company comes to interview students for potential summer internships, and I really want it. I thought if I had my name on every page it might help burn it into their brains a bit, so they remember me when they're going to make a decision.

Stupid idea?

Yeah, I should find a new font though. Helvetica is pretty boring.

You can have your name on it - but it doesn't need to be that big. If anything a distinct visual style that distinguishes your slides from other peoples will be enough to differentiate you if they want to interview you. Plus I would imagine your boards will all be together so it shouldn't be that hard for them to track your name back to your cover page.

The rounded rectangle thing is pretty common for portfolios, you may want to spend some time looking around Coroflot or some other non-portfolio sources (magazines, web sites) for some different variations on header graphics.

I spent about an hour on coroflot and most people don't even have templates. They just have drawings, with no borders, etc. Pretty lame actually, I wish you could just check out the top rated portfolios, or something like that.

Thanks, but I liked working with clay. It was a lot of fun. One thing that helped was I brought a rum and coke with me, and worked on it at night. :)