Guest riege_st

Feedback Needed - Car Render

Guest riege_st

first time i worked with pastels and markers on a car design

please don't hesitat to point out mistakes

thx in advance

post-12726-1204460019.jpg

Guest P3NGU1N

What kind of paper are you using? It doesnt seem to be taking the pastel work very well. And this might just be from the scan, but, Orange and Brown? Yuck.....

The top of the windshield is off. It's not converging.

Guest riege_st

thx for the reply

i'm using normal sketching paper - its abit thicker then copypaper

the color tone got abit lost, with scanning it - the pastel should be more yellowish

@windshield - do you mean, that the top left corner should be lower ? or am i miss interprating something

Guest fblacka

nice render, but ...

... your lines need more confidence and energy ... use your arm to sketch, not your wrist

also, dunno if the proportions of your car are intentional, but its weird ... very short front and very-very long cockpit ... dont forget foreshortening ...

lets see some more, so we can give more advice ... :)

Guest riege_st

i'll render it again, and imply all your feedback

thx alot - i'll post again when its finished

but don't expect one in the next 2 weeks...i'm out of time :worried:

Guest riege_st
... use your arm to sketch, not your wrist

after trying it out, it really makes a huge difference - awesome, somehow curves seem to be able to achieve alot easier thx!!

I only tried it out at one piece, and its just day and night...really funny

Guest fblacka
... use your arm to sketch, not your wrist

after trying it out, it really makes a huge difference - awesome, somehow curves seem to be able to achieve alot easier thx!!

I only tried it out at one piece, and its just day and night...really funny

im glad it helped u ... :P

Guest P3NGU1N

You should try different paper. Normal printer paper bleeds with markers. If you use some marker paper it really does make a huge difference in quality, for marker work and pastel. I would recommend canson brand marker paper.

Guest riege_st

i have marker paper from copic at home, but it seems to grain larger surfaces

and blackoutlines(with their liners) also bleed

but i try to get some canson paper

Guest P3NGU1N

I have never tried to copic marker paper before. Infact, I've never seen the copic marker paper before. I'm only aware of the Letraset (Makers of Tria markers), Beinfang, and Canson marker papers. I heard that Letraset is the best, however, it's also the most expensive. Beinfang is really translucent and, more often than not, the paper is reversed (You render on the opposite side of the paper that is facing you.) I've found that canson is smooth enough for what I need it to do.

Guest Lilith

i like it , looks like my grandads old car :D i mean the colors, which is kinda cool

i thought you could do even LESS work on it and make it look artistic, but as it was mentioned, the lines need to be more confident, just do less but confident

Guest stax_910

how are you applying the pastel? When I use pastels I apply with a cotton pad. Mix a little bit of baby powder with the pastel color you are using. It will go on sooo much smoother and will also smooth out marker strokes. just an idea to mess around with. :P

Guest riege_st
how are you applying the pastel? When I use pastels I apply with a cotton pad. Mix a little bit of baby powder with the pastel color you are using. It will go on sooo much smoother and will also smooth out marker strokes. just an idea to mess around with. :P

thx for the advice,i have heard about this method - i used a sicssor to scrape some powder of the pastel. to apply it, i used a normal tissue(no babypowder - but i'll try next time)

Guest P3NGU1N

Don't use tissue. Too many dips in the material will give you that grainy look that you have right now. Use a webril pad if you can get your hands on it. It's like cotton but much smoother. I've used cotton before but I've had the same grainy patches, but it may be better than using tissue. I would also suggest dabbing a bit of baby powder directly to the paper you're using to fill in some of the micro pot holes in the paper. That will also smooth out your rendering.