Product Design Forums

Treasurebox
Sign in to follow this  
Guest Kovalev27

Solidworks-"not Sufiscient System Resources To Render The File"! Help

Guest Kovalev27

Hey guys. I have a pretty decent computer. 2 gigs of corsair high performance ram. a Q6600 (quad core at 2.40 ghz) and a 250 gb hard drive. All running on windows XP. With a Saphire Radeon 1950pro.

I am trying to render a file, on photoworks that is 17" in size and 300 DPI in resolution at the highest quality (i need this resolution, and i know its huge).

But when i try to render it, i get:

Untitled-1.jpg

This is really annoying. I have no idea why it does that? Please, anybody can help me?

BTW, i have 40gig of free space left on my hard drive

post-7017-1204253660.jpg

This is not uncommon using SW and expecially PW... you have hit the limits, 1.7 gigs, or what SW can do with memory under Windows XP Pro.

Do a search on the /3 gig switch and get 4 gigs of ram,... this should get you to about 2.8 gigs which may or may not get you through the render?

Next step,.. Windows x64 and SW 64 bit and 8 gigs of ram.

Guest w i l l

Thats a big image though - it will struggle with that. When I have that problem I render the highest size I can and then enlarge it with Alien Skin. Your hard drive size has got nothing to do with this.

Guest Kovalev27

but what am i supposed to do if i want the picture 17" in width and 300DPI. Its for printing. And i want to have the maximum quality. And its 300DPI!!

When i "render to file" it estimates the image size to 76mb. I have right now, after freeing my ram with a program, 1.6 gig of ram free!

EDIT: I performed a search on 3gig switch, but i didn't find anything other than 3gig modify ini file.. which doesn't help me at all.

Guest w i l l

Why are you rendering at such high res though? The size of the file tells you that its a massive render - there's no need for that res especially with Photoworks. I render at 3000 x 3000 max with Maxwell which is more photoreal. Renders don't need to be massive - even for billboards they are huge in size but with something like 30dpi cos you're viewing from a distance. Trust me - with Photoworks and the quality that its capable of 3000 pixels is more than enough. 2000 would be good.

Guest Kovalev27
Why are you rendering at such high res though? The size of the file tells you that its a massive render - there's no need for that res especially with Photoworks. I render at 3000 x 3000 max with Maxwell which is more photoreal. Renders don't need to be massive - even for billboards they are huge in size but with something like 30dpi cos you're viewing from a distance. Trust me - with Photoworks and the quality that its capable of 3000 dpi is more than enough. 2000 would be good.

It is 300. Not 3000 that i am rendering at

Guest w i l l

I think you're getting confused with Ram and the hard drive space that you have. Either way its irrelevant. If you render at a lower res your problem is solved.

Guest w i l l

3000 refers to the amount of pixels. You should be rendering 3000 x 3000 max. You're trying to render at 300 dpi which is 5100 x 3825 pixels (its on the error message).

Guest Kovalev27
I think you're getting confused with Ram and the hard drive space that you have. Either way its irrelevant. If you render at a lower res your problem is solved.

I understand perfectly that ram plays a big role in that. I know my hard drive has nothing to do with this. I used a RAM optimizing program to free up my ram as much as possible. Even at 150DPI and 17inches wide, it starts, doesn't give me that message, but after 2 minuts of rendering, it appears. I dont get it.

What is that 3gig switch anyways?

well, it's pretty common so, imho, you didn't look hard enuf... 8^)

http://thatworks.blogspot.com/2007/07/3gb-switch.html

http://www.mcadonline.com/index.php?option...3&Itemid=73

http://www.solidsmack.com/wp-content/uploa...information.pdf

btw, I've run into the same error many times and I was not rendering at that resolution... although, I kind of agree, you can get away with 150-200 dpi and scale up if need be.

Guest Kovalev27
well, it's pretty common so, imho, you didn't look hard enuf... 8^)

http://thatworks.blogspot.com/2007/07/3gb-switch.html

http://www.mcadonline.com/index.php?option...3&Itemid=73

http://www.solidsmack.com/wp-content/uploa...information.pdf

btw, I've run into the same error many times and I was not rendering at that resolution... although, I kind of agree, you can get away with 150-200 dpi and scale up if need be.

it really sucks that i can't render as big as i want. Because having it at 300dpi, well, thats the printer resolution, so its the best....

I think i'll get one more gb or ram and do the 3gig trick

Guest kaiza

i dont have a solution, but if you're forced to render at a lower res, try upping the anti-alias, i always find it makes a big difference in quality in my renders

if you have the time, why not learn maxwell instead? not sure if it has similar problems...

Guest Kovalev27
i dont have a solution, but if you're forced to render at a lower res, try upping the anti-alias, i always find it makes a big difference in quality in my renders

if you have the time, why not learn maxwell instead? not sure if it has similar problems...

i actually have maxwell.. but.. can't seem to get it!

Guest w i l l

How big is the part/assembly (in storage space - Mb) that you want to render? If it can wait till this evening or tomorrow - send it to me and i'll render it for you. My computers are completely full until this evening.

PS I would have thought you'd be able to render 150DPI and 17inches though. It might be a probelem with the file/scene.

Guest Kovalev27

the assembly is quite big, around 15 megabytes.

I also often get this message in the middle of the rendering:

Untitled-3.jpg

I dont get it. It really frustrates me.

Will, thx alot for your help, i really apreciated. I am almost done doing my boards. I have to render a section view and an exploded view with several blow-ups. The two first take a lot of space on the page, and i have to render them big so they can be big and nice on the page.

I guess ill have to stay with 150 DPI :-(

btw. Its for the Marksman Pen Contest ;)