Product Design Forums

Treasurebox
Sign in to follow this  
Turbofrog

Turbofrog's Portfolio

designbenign.com

Comments and crits appreciated, as always.

I'm concerned the navigation might not be as intuitive as it could be, but I don't know how to fix it while maintaining the look. So suggestions in that area are greatly appreciated...though I may not be able to get to them until the summer, after my thesis is finally finished.

Thanks!

UPDATE: Tried to take into account some of the criticisms and gave it a revamp. The content is still the same, but the navigation is laid out slightly differently, now has mouse-over changes for the sub-menu buttons. I also added some descriptive text for the projects to explain the concepts in more detail.

Thanks for the feedback everyone!

Guest ST3

it is a nice layout and looks very professional

however i do feel that alot of the pieces lack visual communication and would benefit from a small amout of text explaining

case and point being the blue sky concept as i had no idea what that was

nice work though!

Guest P3NGU1N

I would reconsider some of the sketches that you have put in there. Some of them demonstrate very poor perspective skills and would probably discourage potential job offers. Also, I have to point out that your layout is rather unintuitive. It's pretty rare to see a website with three navigation bars and there's a reason for that. Overall I find it's a difficult page to navigate and the content is questionable at best (Eco-friendly muscle car? Muscle cars take pride in their big block engines stuffed into a small chassis. Where is the eco friendly part?). I don't see any explaination in your sketches, no market research, and no understanding of technology and physics (The urban vehicle. How does it stay balanced when folding up? Is it parked? Does it need to be folded manually? We don't know because you don't show it).

Guest DavidB

cool idea , i really like the drawing sheet. personally i was concern about the navigation. maybe because my eye was attract by the text in the title box and i find my way from there.

The left side of your page is fine with me. Same with the project selection ( gemini, HD truck yadda yadda..)

The part that bug me is the lower part. there no mouse-over reaction, its becoming natural to most of the internet user. Having movement usually mean you can do something with it. ie change the image.

So right now you click product, look at the , for example , your Filtebrella , take a look at the assembly and go to the next one.

I had to go back to look at the image i miss went i found you can swith view, wich was when i almost finish viewing it.

to finish, making the choice for your view more obvious with be a BIG plus and adding a small explaination would be good to; just to answer the more technical question like penguin said.

I would reconsider some of the sketches that you have put in there. Some of them demonstrate very poor perspective skills and would probably discourage potential job offers. Also, I have to point out that your layout is rather unintuitive. It's pretty rare to see a website with three navigation bars and there's a reason for that. Overall I find it's a difficult page to navigate and the content is questionable at best (Eco-friendly muscle car? Muscle cars take pride in their big block engines stuffed into a small chassis. Where is the eco friendly part?). I don't see any explaination in your sketches, no market research, and no understanding of technology and physics (The urban vehicle. How does it stay balanced when folding up? Is it parked? Does it need to be folded manually? We don't know because you don't show it).

Which sketches in particular are you referring to? Ironically, I got my last job on the strength of my sketching, so that's a bit discouraging to hear. I'll try and remedy it if you can let me know specifics.

The navigation was the biggest thing I was worried about, since I was trying to stick with the drawing sheet visual theme. The orange highlights were supposed to be a visual indicator, since the only place they're used is in the navigation. Mouse-overs on the bottom menu are one thing I can easily add. Any other suggestions to aid navigation? I hate adding a note to guide you, because it means the navigation isn't working in the first place...

I was also afraid about the explanations thing - thorough technical reasoning is one aspect that I take most pride in as a designer, and that's obviously not coming across. I suppose I need to rework that.

I can answer your questions specifically, but I suppose that doesn't help the average guy who visits the site. The eco-friendly muscle car is a turbocharged bio-diesel electric hybrid intended to replicate the torque curve of a big ol' V8 with a significantly smaller carbon footprint. I suppose I should maybe change the name to 'sports car,' since it has less specific connotations for that audience. I think I actually did that for my Coroflot page.

As for the urban vehicle, it uses gyroscopic stabilizers a la the Segway when it's in upright mode, and a computer-controlled castoring rear wheel when in scooter mode (since it turns by differential wheel speed, a standard wheel would just skid). Folding is automated (just a little, basic electric motor). It's always so difficult to translate technical content from full-on display boards to a little portfolio page.

Thanks for the feedback everyone. The stuff you don't want to hear is sometimes the most useful...

Guest Lilith

your website is amazing! :clapping: i dont know why people complained about navigation, i found it very handy and logical :clapping:

i would say just ignore some opinions, i saw lots of great sketches on your website, layouts look professional and overall theme (the technical environment ) looks pretty cool :clapping:

i think P3NGU1N was unfair for some reason, as in his post he didnt mention anything positive (not a single thing! unbelievable) and there is lots of good stuff on website, which he failed to see, i think he is just jelous :eh:

Guest firecracker

Just loading a blank page for me.

EDIT:

I can see it now!

Wow, the styling reallly is great.

The whole tech drawing idea is fabulous , I reckon someone will steall it - haha.

I found it nice and uncomplicated to navigate.

IThe stuff the other guy said about your perspective being off, might be true.

But it looks good I think, fast stylish sketches. - nice portfolio man!

Guest Cédric Blanc

Ouehey! Great stuff, love the technical drawing template, it works spot on. I have a photographer friend and she used a negative for hers, I guess that's quite similar.

Here's her link:

http://puiyinwong.com/links.html

Tried to take into account some of the criticisms and gave it a revamp. The content is still the same, but the navigation is laid out slightly differently, now has mouse-over changes for the sub-menu buttons. I also added some descriptive text for the projects to explain the concepts in more detail.

Thanks for the feedback everyone!