Product Design Forums

Treasurebox
Sign in to follow this  
Guest Ramz

Toy For Mentally Retarded Children

Guest superbad

My cousin probably isn't a very good case study for you, for one thing, she's 18 now. I don't have a lot of specific memories of how she used to play as a little kid. Also, I wasn't joking about her being exceptionally smart- she went to a normal school and took regular classes, and did pretty well. The only real concession made to her disability I think was that she got some extra time to take tests. But her interests are (and have always been) pretty typical for her age. She's got the usual Down's quirkiness (e.g., she's very affectionate), but she's otherwise not that different from anyone else.

I would agree with others that a project like this requires a lot more research (real hands-on research, not internet forum research). Talk to parents and caregivers, even teachers and doctors if you can. There is a huge range of conditions and abilities among the disabled. My gut feeling is that the best approach is going to be something that's simple, flexible, and scalable. Think of Lego- they are appealing (for completely different reasons) to 2 year olds and 12 year olds.

Guest Ramz

hello guys... i m done with my research and concept.. working on final concept... i have taken "pretend play" as my story for the toy.. its goin well i guess... thank a lot for ur support.. will upload some renderings soon... do comment on them.. thank you again...

ramz

Guest shyamsun
My target user group is 6-10 years (mentally retarded kids) 2-3 years (normal kids).

Hi,

I also feel this target group of 6- 10 years old kids a little wide. 5-6 will be in KG, 7 in 1st, 8 in 2nd, 9 in 3rd and 10 in 4th. For quick reference if you see the ergonomics and mind development, it varies rapidly in this age range. It means something which is used for 6 yrs might not be interesting or suitable for 10 yrs. Also you have to know that kids grow really fast even a 4th grader will think that he is at the top of the world and have lot of pride and dignity. A 6 yr old in KG if you have noted , they do not think about sharing , they are very possessive. Is this product for school or at home? sorry if I missed your target market somewhere.