Product Design Forums

Treasurebox
Sign in to follow this  
Guest Mr. Burns

I Want To Go To Art Center

Guest Mr. Burns
is Art Center all about the cars? what about the other products?

I'm applying for their transportation design program.

no Artcenter offers

product design

transporation

fine art

film

advertising

environmental

illustration

entertainment

and....... i think thats it.

oh and graphic

*it doesnt matter if you are "GOOD ENOUGH"

it matters if u have the PASSION for what you are doing.

cuz without a strong passion, your not gonan want to go to school...

its a SHITLOAD OF WORK

**epecially trans design.

in 3rd term, your gonan have to draw bout 30-50 pages a week!

on like 11x17paper full rendered

Guest A17

Daamn That's one serious school..It's beyond my self disclipine, i've become a slacker.

Regarding your Portfolio, the sketches are all good, though I'm not too attracted to the render work. Why is it that good sketching means no good digital render? Im not implying just you, i seen that in a lot of portfolios. Keep trying at those photoshop renders, and try to draw mirrors as well, I noticed most of your cars don't have one, haha

Guest ishimaru
**epecially trans design.

in 3rd term, your gonan have to draw bout 30-50 pages a week!

on like 11x17paper full rendered

I think its more like 700 pages a week in grey tone/black pencil lol. I was in the environmental design program. I wish it was more like product design though. My recommendation is to really think about what your getting yourself into. THINK REALLY HARD. ACCD isn't for everyone. Get really good and get that scholarship. Even if you got 5k knocked off it would save you tons. Anyways good luck on your submission and don't listen to that Art Center at Night stuff. Go to PCC or find a local JC that has a industrial design program.

Guest P3NGU1N

Its not so bad. I'm only doing like 25 pages a week. That's only after starting Pietruska's class. I'm a little worried about your sketching though. It looks very arbitrary without much thought put into the design. Art Center can teach you how to sketch and render like hell but the school cannot teach you how to think.

Guest firecracker

In my expeience design schools in all disciplines (architecture, industrial, fashion etc)...

All like to see a varied portfolio of creative projects which show you have explored many things as well as developed specific technical skills.

Pasadena Art center is of a very high calibre and I seriously doubt they will even be bothered that you can draw cars quite well.

I think think they would prefer to observe your creative abilities through anything from still life sketching, canvas painting, sculpture, video/audio projects, anything technical you have done such as designed and built an outhouse or custom styling of a vehicle, or any prototypes for designs / inventions you have made etc etc.

The more varied the better.

Specific industrial design skills such as quick perspective sketching, photoshop rendering and 3D modelling are things anyone can do following instruction and show little of your potential as a designer.

Furthermore they are all things which students are able to develop after commncing the course there, anyone with decent aptitide will be able to pick them up pretty quickly.

Guest cderby

Are you applying to Art Center as a freshman strait from highschool?

I go to the College for Creative Studies and I'm in their product and transportation design studios. Your sketches look good, I know when I applied to CCS I didn't have any cars in my portfolio, I'm not sure if times have changed. Your sketches look good though. I can see you understand perspective which is important.

With respect to your portfolio, I feel like sketches are meant for sketch books. A portfolio should be of higher quality artwork. To give you some advise, try and go back in to do some final renderings. Or if you already have some nice high quality pieces add those in to. Diversity is always a good thing. Just show them that you are great potential as an artist. If you get into their Trans program, you will learn all those rendering techniques and you will get much better. For now I don't feel like doing renderings in Photoshop would be beneficial.

Keep up the good work though.

-Cole

Not that I graduated from the greatest ID program, but you might want to read this before you drop the change to go to ACCD.

Also I somewhat disagree about what a Ghia should look like.

I don't know if those sketches alone are good enough to get you a spot in ACCD, but it looks like you are on the right track.

I don't know where in the USA you are but Virginia Tech is boosting their Industrial Design program right now.

We're getting 3 BIG cintiqs this year for ID students only. Plus we have an excellent staff. Akshay has us doing more than 35 ID sketches a week along with 15 or more anthropometric/hand sketches from our studio. We're getting very good hands on experience with the Adobe Suite (especially InDesign) and Solidworks. Next week we will be foam modelling. If you have a passion (which you SHOULD) you can join the IDSA at VT and get trained in Corel Painter and get additional sketches done with additional supervision. You get to learn a lot from other student's internships too(one went to BOSE, another went to NewBalance just to name a few...). The only drawback is that the first year you will spend with architecture students--- hint hint, build up your portfolio and join the IDSA as soon as you can.

But keep in mind-- it doesn't matter where you go if you don't push yourself to go the extra mile. You will be "living" in studio--- make it worth it. Best of Luck wherever you end up going.

Guest Epleskrell

You have good initial drawing skills, but it is as P3ngu1n says, try to focus more on new ideas, the thing is you hopefully will be a designer, not an artist. Though being able to sketch a good drawing is important to get your new ideas down, its just a tool.

I will also encourage you to think about other schools to apply for, although Art Center has for long been the leading school, other schools are just as good, and produce just as good designers. For cardesign in the US you have the CCS in Detroid. In Europe you have IED in Italy, you have Pforzheim in Germany and Coventry school of art and Design In the UK. And you can study Industrial design and take a Master in Transportation design at the most interesting school of today the Royal College of Art in the UK.

People from these schools produce just as good results as students from the Art Center.

In the end it’s all up to you how good you will be.