Product Design Forums

Treasurebox
Sign in to follow this  
ragde

Dna Helixes

Hi Guys:

Recently I did this DNA model using SW. It was used by a friend as an illustration for some science presentation.

It is a very simple model but interesting. Do you want to try?...

post-4562-1203418107.jpg

Guest Skint

Hello Radge,

Firstly let me say that I think your effort and workload that you put into this forum is superb and well commended !! Your tutorials are excellent.

I am new to this site, however I have been reading through all posts for some months now with great interest.

I hope you do not mind, but I used this thread to post over at the MCAD forums, to get this going in Pro-e also.

All the best

Skint

Guest ktooken

Hi, when will the tutorial come out? I've manage to make the helix(s), and also the sticks by using the painstaking way of using reference planes (but i'm sure there is a more efficient way), tried the curve driven pattern but i got an error saying the bodies are disjointed? HALP

im talking solidworks.

Thanks in advance.

Guest SteveMacc

I'm sure Ragde has some really neat way of doing this, but I tried this in SW using the following method:

Create one stick from an extruded circle.

Use Copy/Move/Rotate bodies to create one complete loop of sticks in the right place on the Helix

Then use one linear pattern on them all to place them all at once along the helix.

You don't need to create any planes this way and only 2 sketches - the circle for the extrude and a line for the linear pattern direction.

The helices are just swept bodies. Make one then copy/move it half the helix pitch.

Here's a screen shot of what it looks like (this only has three sticks per rev but you could use more) (untextured):

post-16651-1206479390.jpg

Guest DavidB

3ds max 2008 , 20 min before sleep time ^_^

fun one.A Moebius stripe next time !!!

post-20039-1206497934.jpg

Guest tekbot

nice

This is a Screen Grab done in Alias.

Ended up using the Twist Dynamic Shape Modeling Tools to create the curves and then just drafted the surface. The Rods were done in 1 click with the Duplicate tool with transform and Rotate. Took just a few minutes to build.

post-14660-1236548049.jpg

Guest bsj0526

Wow, there are some talented people here. Sorry if I'm too late, but I thought this might be a good one to try for my first challenge.

Modeled in Solidworks 2009 and rendered in Hypershot.

post-27765-1238591062.jpg

post-27765-1238591367.jpg

Sign in to follow this  

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.