Product Design Forums

Treasurebox
Sign in to follow this  
Guest HSK

Bluetooth Iron?

Guest HSK

Hi

Just a quick query........ im designing a new age clothes iron and looking to get rid of the need for the power cord (even from cordless irons as a cord is still needed from the mains socket to the iron stand) in my design so that the whole iron can be moveable and be freestanding without the annoyance of a cord.

Im struggling to find a vaild solution though...... so was wondering if bluetooth could play a part in it. I know that this technology is generally used in mobile phones and other handheld electronic gadgets as a form of data transfer (usually just to send messages and photos), however was interested to know whether data can be sent from a plug-in 'hub' style piece into the main socket to the iron stand telling a micro computer system to heat up the iron when its rested upon it?? Can the bluetooth technology work like that? Bluetooth controlled household appliances (esp kitchen appliances) have been created as concept ideas, however due to them being concepts not much information is available in detail regarding the workings of it.

Any other linked information or ideas in dealing with this issue would be much appreciated also.

Thank u.

Guest Miguel Sanchez

Hello HSK,

If understood you correctly, I think you want to have a cordless iron "this is great idea" if you ask me. Although I am not clear on why you need the Bluetooth functionality, unless you hoping to listen to some of your Mp3's whilst your ironing :(

Hopes this helps man...

Miguel

Guest HSK

That's right...... im looking for a way to get rid of the cord altogether. My bluetooth knowledge isn't really very in-depth (as youve probably noticed), thats why i asked the question about whether it would actually be possible. I was skeptical about it in the 1st place as, like i mentioned before, its commonly used for only transferring data for multimedia purposes.

Anybody have any other ideas of getting rid of the cord, as its becoming quite a struggle.

Guest Freya

I'm not too sure what the technology is called but it's quite recent. Basicly you place your mobile phone in the bowl like thing and it charges without any cords.

Have you also considered using solar energy, I know it's a wild shot but looking into that, you might find some other similar technology.

Freya Swenson

Guest tombuttigieg

From what I understood which could be rubbish but anyway, is that you can't transfer power through bluetooth. I've heard of an experiment where they transfered power without wire etc, but that is a tiny amount, I'm not sure if it would be possible with our technology now. Unless you tried using a battery pack maybe, but again might not be able to give the iron enough power. What about a dynamo or perhaps wind power, sounds stupid but could be worth a look.

Yeah power transfer would be rubbish. But data transfer would be another matter altogether. Say that you could tag your clothers with an RFID tag that could tell the iron what kind of fabric is in the clothes. Then you have eliminated the need for fiddling with the temperature on the iron.

Perhaps you are a maid that needs to track the number of clothes ironed. Perhaps the iron turns off a certain distance from the base. Perhaps there is a chemical nose that detects burnt cloth chemicals. Perhaps there could be a built in fire extinguisher in the unit.

Could the hot sole of the iron be swappable. Is there a way to heat the clothes with heating an element ie instant off.

What about a microwave for clothes?

Dont get stuck on one technology yet.

Guest HSK

Its funny u should mention about the RFID tags Parel as that is something that ive already included in the design, my thought was that it would definitely get rid of the 'fiddle factor'. My research shows that one of the main reasons people dont enjoy ironing is due to the fact that they cant do it properly.....so automatic recognition of clothing with the use of RFID scanning would decrease the chance of clothes being burnt and temperature being too high for particular materials (e.g. ironing a silk shirt after a cotton shirt straight away would be very risky!!!!!) Its always nice to hear other people thinking in the same direction.... :-D

And thanks to every1 for their replies and thoughts, very much appreciated.

Guest shapingstuff

There is technology that can power stuff near the wall, so you put your TV near a wall and it has power, was in new scientist a while ago. I guess you could make a cordless iron and design an ironing board that is part of the same combo, recieving power from the wall or something......... lots of possibilities.....

Guest superbad

????

There are loads of cordless irons on the market- they use "battery" technology, typically with an inductive charging cradle.

Here is one:

http://www.bestbuy.com/site/olspage.jsp?sk...;ci_sku=8598662

I don't see the need to pair my iron with my computer via BT, and I think you'd have a very, very hard time selling that. The RFID idea is interestingish, but RFID tags aren't at all universal in clothing- and aren't they destroyed by washing?

I dont know of the durability of RFID- but really it is in its infancy. It will mature. As far as the tags, perhaps the iron manufacturer could sell them as a seperate item to tag your clothes. At least until they are more prevalent

Guest csven

Charging the unit completely wirelessly (including cradle) isn't presently possible, afaik. Such ideas go all the way back to Tesla. Yes, small electronic devices can be inductively charged, but clothes irons use a significant amount of electricity to heat the soleplate. Small gadgets don't expend that kind of thermal energy (if they can help it).

As for transferring information, that can be done in any number of ways. In the early 90's, for my own iron project (can see it here - Link), I just sent the data over the charging connection (basically the same as using home's wiring to transmit audio signals to remote speakers).

As for RFID, it's probably not necessary, since there are fabric sensing devices (at least in the labs; years ago). RFID doesn't solve the problem of a garment with multiple materials located in different areas (e.g. nylon mesh on pockets of a cotton pullover). To my knowledge, the problem with fabric sensing tech wasn't the sensing, but getting a rapid temperature change on the soleplate to account for multiple materials.

Guest superbad
Charging the unit completely wirelessly (including cradle) isn't presently possible, afaik.

I think you're right- those cradles for cordless irons use little charging contacts now that I think about it.

Guest simpson

what bout some chemical reaction to produce heat? Although that might get a little bit dangerous :ermm:

Guest csven
Charging the unit completely wirelessly (including cradle) isn't presently possible, afaik.

I think you're right- those cradles for cordless irons use little charging contacts now that I think about it.

Actually, I meant the cradle itself being charged inductively. That's how I understood the goal: a completely wireless system powered wirelessly from some source hidden somewhere inside the home; the cradle being more of a stand/relay for the iron and potentially an energy conduit.

Would agree I've not seen an inductive iron in a corded cradle, but it's more feasible and has probably been prototyped. I suspect such a system just doesn't make sense given the ease of making direct contact via pins.

-

With regard to chemicals, I once did concept work on a travel/spot iron that used portable hair curler tech - propane. Think it made it to production but unsure whether it remained propane-powered.

Problem with a chemical system, afaik: 1) need to replenish the chemical or 2) need to reverse the reaction.

- Replenish involves waste (ala razor cartridges).

- Recharge involves putting energy (probably electrical) back into a closed system. And while desired conversion to thermal energy might be better than current methods, the reverse might be more lossy. Plus I suspect a chemical reaction would involve dealing with corrosive byproducts, so the full trade-off might not make it worth the effort.