Product Design Forums

Treasurebox
Sign in to follow this  
Guest terminatoronly

Shall I Get A Wacom Or Etc?

Guest terminatoronly

Hello All,

I Am new to this forum, and i like it i saw few tutorials they are really great you people did a great job, and i am in a need for your advice, i am a graphic design student , this is my second year and we will start using photoshop and illustrator this semester so i heared much about wacom tablet and (Graphics tablets) in general i saw some work done by those graphic tablets and they are really cool, i am thinking of getting one but in here they don't sell wacom they sell Genius tablets not wacom's and i don't live in USA or UK to get a wacom i live in Jordan (Asia) please tell me shall i get a Genius tablet or what do you think?

please if someone has expereience with Genius graphic tablets i will be very thankful for your suggestion also for all other people.

Thanks

I would see if you can get a Wacom from an online store that ships internationally (or possibly Ebay) - if you don't have a choice then theres no point in asking, but the Wacom tablets are far superior, and thats why they're the industry standard.

Guest terminatoronly

hi mate,

thank you , yeah i asked a friend too , he lives near my country he will ask there today.

btw which size do you guys recommend?

Guest P3NGU1N

I have a wide screen monitor and I felt the 6x11 was too wide =\. I switched over to a 6x8 and I love it. I got the 6x8 intuos3 on ebay for $170, however, that's a very rare case. The retail is $320, though, you can usually find them on ebay for about $290. (All prices are in U.S. Dollars)

A 6x8 Tablet means you'll be losing a good amount of space on the top and bottom if you have the active area constrained to the proper aspect ratio...means you'll be stuck with something closer to ~5x8" though the 6x11 is a bit awkward too if you're on a 16:10 screen vs a 16:9 screen - but you still have more room.

I'm not exactly sure why Wacom picked their dimensions...matching the standard ratios exactly would've maximized the active area and retained the correct proportions.

If you're not sure what I'm talking about, try drawing a perfect circle on your tablet - if you aren't constrained correctly it will be an ellipse on screen.