Product Design Forums

Treasurebox
Sign in to follow this  
Guest Jay08

Jays Folio

Guest antidesign

How do you intend to send this portfolio?

Can you put it up in the correct order because at the moment its all over the place.

Guest antidesign

"Hyper Critical" OK

I'm guessing from a previous comment that you are printing A3 and will be there to explain the projects.

Your level of work is good for second year but since you are trying to make something better I will give the following comments:

Regarding the overall layout of the folio it lacks distinct projects which tell the story of the design process or how you think.

The lamp project jumps around within the portfolio. I think you are trying to show your different skills in different sections but you shouldn't sacrifice the best complete design project in order to do that.

The white font on black is difficult to read at least on the screen. Maybe you could make it bigger/bold or go for a charcoal grey.

The cyclist page is the worst graphically. The large picture is simply there for ambient and is too large. It covers the actual work up and breaks from your grid and format (previously all border reaching images were full page).

With the mouse - "The main focus of this excerise was in styling and translating initial sketches and design intent into 3D goemetry for the purposes of visualisation" - Where are the sketches/design intent/unique selling point of this object? Because to me at the moment it looks like 'just a mouse'.

The digital sketch of the lamp is great but the background is too dark and works better on the multiple position view. I would suggest removing it from the main view or replacing it with something lighter to show off the form and the hands better.

In general I think you've put too little process in in order to have one strong image on each page. For example the pub game photo is beautiful but it requires that you read the detail in order to understand anything about the project. The images should speak for themselves to a certain extent.

DINKY DOMESTIC DESIGN - I don't get that page at all. "to show the more defined design" of what??

I would put the final page at the beginning in with the other sketches and industry reference. And then find something to end with, although the personnal website page could do that. Also maybe a menu page would be good.

I hope that is a help.

Dave

Guest Jay08

Cheers dave! Some real good advice...and I agree with all these points. The format is A4 .

The suspension analysis (bicycle) images are crap as MSC ADAMS Doesnt export Jpegs! I ll revisit the page.

I was hoping to use the folio more as a visual prompt to talk through projects and give an opportunity for the interviewer to ask questions rather than bombarding them with many images aiming for a more conversation based interview if that makes sense?

This is my main folio....so it wont get sent out. Sorry about the order...didnt realise! Thanks!

Thanks for a really honest critique!

Guest Jay08

Reply to Yo design...

Sorry, I didnt spot your post!

Yes we are taught FEA and kinematics analysis as part of the Bsc course. Contextual design is a module within the 1st year.

Guest antidesign

Hi Jay

You're welcome, always nice to give a crit. to someone who wants to here it.

I wouldn't worry too much if some of the images are poor quality at A4 size, the important thing is to show what you did.

I take your point about being there to explain and using the images as a talking point. That's good if you are a good talker but bear in mind that they will inevitably spend their time staring at your work and might be disappointed with just one image. Companies want things that they can show to their clients, and also evidence that you have done the work you are talking about.

let us know how you get on.

cheers

Guest yodesign
Reply to Yo design...

Sorry, I didnt spot your post!

Yes we are taught FEA and kinematics analysis as part of the Bsc course. Contextual design is a module within the 1st year.

OK thanks. That's cool!