Product Design Forums

Treasurebox
Sign in to follow this  
Guest Kovalev27

Best Scanner For Students

Guest Kovalev27

Hey guys. I am currently in the proccess of building a portfolio, and i have an old HP Scanjet 3400C scanner. The problems is that 1. It has a step from the window to the top surface of the scanner, so my 11x17's allways get destroyed after a scan, and second, the quality is not so great. Its more than 5 years old...

So my question is, for about 150, what can be the best scanner on the market right now? Something that is completely flat where the scanning window is, and not have the @#$@#$ buttons on the front side where the lid clamps down.

Honestly I haven't seen any tabloid size scanners that are considered cheap. You can get a regular flatbed for next to nothing, but I don't know about any that have a flat surface (mine has the same problem, I just don't force the cover down and it doesn't damage the paper, but I have to scan an 11x17 3 times (left middle and right side of the sheet) to get a clean composite. Of course I haven't scanned anything since school so it mostly sits useless next to my also now unused large format printer.

Does your school have a large format scanner in a computer lab? Because thats the best solution. If not, I'd consider seeing if you can get a bunch of ID students together who need a big scanner and all chip in to buy one for the studio. Just lock it up and leave it somewhere that anyone can just plug in their USB and use it.

Otherwise head out to your local electronics/office supply store and look around to see what looks usable.