Product Design Forums

Treasurebox
Sign in to follow this  
Guest Mikedesign

Car sketch tutorial

Guest Urbatect

This is one of the tutorials in the new book "Design sketching" that can be found on www.designsketching.com. More of Mike's awesome work is also available in it. Go get it! :)

Erik Olofsson

Guest madmatt

This is a very cool forum...MikeDesign I like Your style...

I've only one question: did U sketch with a Wacom tablet or did U simple scan your hand drawing sketch?

P.S: I hope U understand, sorry for my bad English...

Bye

Guest Mikedesign

Hi MadMatt!

I scanned my hand drawings, they were done using Copic markers and Copic Airbrush!

Regards

Mikael L

www.mikedesign.se

Guest Colvindesign

ok more questions about line quality.

so you use a verithin pencil and got those results in the first drawing?

I am going to have to go through my drawers and see what I have. I've been trying to use all sorts of different media to get that type of line effect. Guess the shaky hand doesn't help though. going to try the box excercise you posted and see what I can come up with.

Guest Growney

Mike,

I wondered if you could list how long each step took you, so we could have some reference on how long a rendering like this would take a car designer. Just the rendering portion, not the time to create the design and line sketch.

Thanks.

Kevin

Guest khusrouf

DSC_0000.jpg

Hi Mike, as I said earlier this a quick one, didn't finish it with photoshop, well I can tell the front wheels are much larger than th rear's, the body is long..

hope you could help me with the line quality, also ellipces!!

excuse the photo quality, it's my mobiles camera

thanks

Guest sem

By the way mike if you're asking yourself who bought a couple of big orders the 3 past months and a few small ones, it's our school in montreal. Our teacher found the book verry interesting and suggested we could buy it. We took a look inside it, and wow, what amazing talent. Most of us bought it like 60 books total and personally I read it all and use everything I learned from it, and still refer to it sometimes for some techniques! Thanks alot! By the way, for the car you drew, I don't like the one on the beige page, it's a little dark compared to the rest of the book :P but for the rest, it's great :)

Guest patywagon

how do you make the contour lines in photoshop? stroked paths? how do you make them black with a white highlight in certain areas?

Guest JimGarf

Hi guys,

Nice tutorial, ive just started to use my wacom, i have had it a while but never seamed to use it properly, ive just finished a quick sketch of a ceaft knife, my drawings are all right but the main problem is where to start rendering! could you please give any coments on my work, it would be very useful.

many thanks

James Garfield

post-22707-1211930120.jpg

Guest Skint

Mikedesign, fantastic work. Your website must be very inspiring for upcoming talent in the deisgn markets. Your concept works and car designs are superb.

" You need to be hungry. Hungry for more design. Hungry for more visions. "