Product Design Forums

Treasurebox
Sign in to follow this  
design-engine

Clay Bake Challenge

spline curve on the surface was what I meant .. Can you force tangency on one end or the other?

I don't think I have ever seen a positive fillet (adding material - page5) before. Can't do that in Pro/E I don't think. Have you seen that ability anyplace?

Guest dicksham

i cannot force tangency on both ends when drawing a spline on surface. That''s why i add fillets on both ends.

(after checking, i found it is wrong... Catia does allow tangency controls on any control point of a spline curve which is lying a surface... see the amendment below on 03 Mar08)

same in alias and rhino. Solidworks and Pro/E can do the tangency conditions. Interesting. Different technique in Alias and rhino is a little like Joel did on his first post on page one with the Alias Studio example.

Guest dicksham

Catia does allow the tangency controls on the any control points of a spline which lies on a surface. (below pic)

(i seldom use it, so i forget....:sorry: )

post-12848-1204516676.jpg

Guest eezydo
At first glance that looks like more control than Pro/E or SW.

Do you mean like this ?

(1 spline on surface / 2 tangency on endpoints /3 modify internal tangency / 4 dimension internal tangent strength )

post-9393-1204632541.jpg

post-9393-1204632551.jpg

post-9393-1204632560.jpg

post-9393-1204632565.jpg

cant do that in Pro/E or Solidworks... cool. You can get the internal CV's in Pro/E but not the illustrator pulling.

One of my surfacing students overheard a PTC programmer say under his breath "I could program rhino in a weekend". Where is the Rhino version? Not even our design engine office has the umph...

Guest eezydo

Sorry Bart for my confusing post, (@#$@#$ stress at work )

the above Splinefunktion is SolidWorks.

- It's a bit tricky though and not totaly robust.

The tangency to edge may fail if it's a shared edge ( two surfaces ) or if the splinepoint is attached

along the edge (not the corner ) and may require an edge to be converted to sketch entity

- then pulled to splinepoint and made tangent.

in 2007 the tangent strength of internal CV's should be adjusted via dimensioning - if you

pull the handles instead it will adjust each side seperately ( in effect braking the curve ) and you end up

with C1 instead of C2. - this has been fixed in 2008 though - plus in 2008 the spline may span across

adjacent tangend surfaces.

Guest Fvanduerm

Rhino water pitcher per bbrechja request.

All four part boundaries using network surface and forced tangency with dummy surfaces.

Mirrored, joined, and offset surface bothsides solid.

top spout was trimmed with interpolated curve on surface

F

post-16686-1207174295.jpg

post-16686-1207174331.jpg

Guest eezydo

One thing I've allways envied Rhino users for is the smooth flow of edited surfaces.

- That's why I would have just edited a simple revolve.

post-9393-1207223035.jpg

post-9393-1207223044.jpg

Guest chabacano_loco

following the techniques that has been used so far in this challenge here is my pitcher done in Rhino, I know you are going to love the iterations during the next posts and following the extrapolation of the technique done in rhino :specool:

post-21409-1207263326.jpg

post-21409-1207263335.jpg

Guest Matthew Harrell

Pitcher Spout Top done in Alias StudioTools with G2 continuity and no trim surfaces. The surfaces of the spout were created with tangent curves and square surfaces.

post-14815-1211558966.jpg

and I am being forced to say that this model was created at DESIGN ENGINE during Shader's Alias class. Personally I think mine turned out better than his.

Guest Marc UK

After doing this once using 4-sided Boundary Surfaces in Solidworks to create the spout and melts, I wanted to see what i could manage using a different approach, using just a revolve, some UV stretching/manipulation using the new Freeform tool, and some thickening, trimming, and filleting ie: no separately constructed surfaces at all. Here's what I ended up with....

post-11180-1256343750.jpg

Guest Shift1313
After doing this once using 4-sided Boundary Surfaces in Solidworks to create the spout and melts, I wanted to see what i could manage using a different approach, using just a revolve, some UV stretching/manipulation using the new Freeform tool, and some thickening, trimming, and filleting ie: no separately constructed surfaces at all. Here's what I ended up with....

I know this thread is pretty old but i just saw it this morning and gave it a go. This was using SW2010

post-40067-1287238100.jpg

post-40067-1287238108.jpg

post-40067-1287238118.jpg

post-40067-1287238125.jpg

Sign in to follow this  

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.