Product Design Forums

Treasurebox
Sign in to follow this  
Guest Colvindesign

A Few Cars With Markers

Guest Colvindesign

Critiqs welcome, no photoshop work on these, all markers colored pencils, and this week I started using pastels (Dino Concept). Also, you will probably notice the Dino and the Suzuki GSXC have a lot of similar features. I did the Suzuki forst and noticed it had a Ferrari Feel, so I refined it, decided to switch it to Mid engine, and shortened it a bit from the 430, as it would use a 4.3L derived 3.2L V6. And yes, I have a thing for polycarbonate roofs, but who doesn't?

since the names don't come up, they are,

1. Ferrari Dino 326 (3.2L V6)

2. 65 Chevelle

3. Lotus S5

4. 30's inspired Indy racer

5. Suzuki GSXC (GSX COUPE)

6. KTM inspired roadster

7. Lambo V8 GT

post-3904-1201569837.jpg

post-3904-1201569887.jpg

post-3904-1201569985.jpg

post-3904-1201570035.jpg

post-3904-1201570081.jpg

post-3904-1201570111.jpg

post-3904-1201570371.jpg

Guest Colvindesign

I see you looking, good, bad ugly?

Anything ?

Bueller?

Bueller?

Overall, awesome. Sparce linework plus simple, solid shading= looks great. You need to work on your glass reflections quite a bit though, they detract from everything else.

To nit pick... the tires are way way way too glossy.... also, the highlights on the first few are practically non-existant.

Very cool so far. Keep pushing it. Perspective looks pretty good on all of them.

Edit: Scratch that. Perspective needs serious help on the yellow roadster, and the front wheel of the lambo at the end.

Guest Colvindesign

Thanks!

I know the glass work pretty much sucks, but I have been trying different approaches. Any ideas?

The tires on the Lotus are over highlighted because I scanned it before I went in and touched it up with some warm grey. Otherwise if you open up the Dino, I am not sure if it shows up but I like the highlights I did on those, I did those with gray pencil.

The perspective on the yellow roadster looks good to me in the front but I re-did the rear about 4 or 5 times and couldn't get it. As for the lambo, it was a small sketch and I didn't notice it until I went over it in pen, got up and went to the bathroom and took another look at it. I know perspective is something I really need to work on, my problem is doing a box really does not help me.

Thanks again

Guest P3NGU1N

Impressive! I may just be thrown off by the interesting rendering style that you're using. It almost feels as though your cars are cell shaded. =) I am a little concerned about the shadows as there seems to be no gradation on your cars. I'd like to think you left those out on purpose though to give these vehicles a cartoonish look! Would it detract from your styling to perhaps gradate with a prisma color pencil? Just a thought.

I'm curious as to whether or not these are for a project or if it's just for your own personal fun. Either way I'd like to see more of your sketches simply because it has a unique style of simplicity that you don't often see anymore.

You have my interest, sir. Keep up the good work!

Guest Colvindesign

Thanks guys!

Pengin, I like to separate myself from the run of the mill, it is solely for my own personal addiction, and I prefer to have my own style and make it 1/2 way between a rendering that a OE designer does, and a rendering a Hot Rod designer does. If I were going for the glossy rendering, I feel I can't really get it without a wacom or a cintiq, and can't afford either at the moment, we'll see though after we do our taxes.

I think I really need help with the glass mostly. I'm getting better at Perspective, but it still needs help as well. I did the Dino 100% free hand with exception of the rear wheel elipse which I used a template on, but suprisingly I had the elipse positioned perfect, jest too sketchy.

Thanks!

I know the glass work pretty much sucks, but I have been trying different approaches. Any ideas?

The tires on the Lotus are over highlighted because I scanned it before I went in and touched it up with some warm grey. Otherwise if you open up the Dino, I am not sure if it shows up but I like the highlights I did on those, I did those with gray pencil.

The perspective on the yellow roadster looks good to me in the front but I re-did the rear about 4 or 5 times and couldn't get it. As for the lambo, it was a small sketch and I didn't notice it until I went over it in pen, got up and went to the bathroom and took another look at it. I know perspective is something I really need to work on, my problem is doing a box really does not help me.

Thanks again

No, the front of the yellow roadster is definitely screwed up. The passenger side lifts toward the sky, it should be pushed downwards quite a bit. The back looks pretty good.

Guest A17

Cash is sorta right about that. Picture the facade of every car to be a face of a person, the "right cheek" of the lotus looks like it is being tugged on, and jerked upwards, sometihng a lady does to a baby lol

Guest Colvindesign

I see it now thanks.

Now where the F were you guys when I was drawing it? ;)

You may already do this, but my recommendation for doing polished marker renderings is to do quick, messy underlays with perspective guides and overlaid lines until it looks right. If you don't mind me posting it in your thread, here's a quick example of what I mean:

post-6173-1204259400.jpg

Overlaid with sweeps, rotated for a bit more dynamism, and then rendered. I don't render that way anymore now that I have a tablet, but as a technique it definitely came in handy.

Guest Colvindesign

hey its cool thanks for the tip, these mostlty were sketches though, the 1965 Chevelle and the yellow Lotus S5 coupe were the only ones I spent a lot of tiome on.

Guest Colvindesign
I don't render that way anymore now that I have a tablet, but as a technique it definitely came in handy.

yeah, seems everyone has a tblet but me these days. Maybe if this guy finally buys my car I'll finally get one.

Guest saranganoo

these cars r good

hello all

i m new to this forum

can any one reply on my sketching?

plz?

post-14391-1207924190.jpg