Product Design Forums

Treasurebox
Sign in to follow this  
tbroen

Illustrator Watch Tutorial

I've made a small walkthrough of the process when making a 2d drawing of a watch. And it's only to give an overview. I will not describe every single step.

Instead I've made a pdf which can be opened in illustrator - then the different layers can be seen and the effects (edit: you can only see the layers if you open the pdf in illustrator!).

This pdf is available for download in reply #7...

post-17257-1201445647.jpg

post-17257-1201445655.jpg

post-17257-1201445661.jpg

post-17257-1201445668.jpg

post-17257-1201445674.jpg

post-17257-1201445680.jpg

Feel free to ask any questions.

/tbroen

Guest firecracker

Thanks for the tutorial.

I havent used illustrator for anything before so basic things will be really useful.

The thing is your tutorial does not include any instruction on how to form the shapes, use the illustrator tools etc..

It seems a very basic tutorial that would be useful for complete beginners if detailed instructions were included, so they could learn the basics of the program.

It seems that anyone who had the grips of the basics could produce a watch like this without needing a tutorial.

Sorry if I sound moany, im just looking for complete basics as I can even figure out how to use the pen tool properly - lol.

Thanks for putting it up, it wwould just be cooler with some more detail.

Also the .pdf is actually just the last image.

If you open the pdf in illustrator, you should be able to turn layers on and of...

Regarding the basic descriptions - I think the tutorial would be endless if i had to explain every single step and all the functions. My thought was that one could get an impression of how the watch is made, by looking in the different layers in the pdf. flicking them on and off could give an impression of what the small details does and how they are made.

But I wil have a look on how I can make it more descriptive. Maybe by making a much simpler watch.A swatch watch or something. That might cover the basics better.

Guest crouton

thanks for this post! i use illustrator a lot, but usually only for projects, so this was a good exercise!

i've been out of school for a bit now and don't want my skills to get rusty!! :P

see what you think ;)

Guest A17

Not bad at all... :)

simple look yet almost realistic, for a vector program that is...

The Pdf should be available for download again at the original location: Watch PDF, remember to open in illustrator to get a full view of the layers.

If at any time the file should become unavailable, just PM me. Then I'll either mail it or upload it again.

/tbroen