Product Design Forums

Treasurebox
Sign in to follow this  
Guest lambetnorth

Help! how to sell a new idea?

Guest lambetnorth

Hi! Sorry in advance for my bad english level, but there isn't an italian site that offer the opportunity to talk about design. I'm a graphic designer, but my family have a firm in the bicycle field. Actually this field is in crisis, so me and my sister tryied to find a way to produce new design products using our knowhow and technology.

We had a lot of ideas, but we found one that can save our little firm.

What we have to do to sell or hire oure idea to another firm in the design field without to be "@#$@#$?". We want to preserve legally our product, but we do't know how to "introuce" our product to a big firm.

Thank you in advance!

For one thing if this is a great idea you need to patent it. If it is an idea that needs development you need to have a non-disclosure with your design firm. Dont approach your customer without some kind of patent protection.

Guest lambetnorth

Thank you very much!

can I ask you more?(feel free to ignore me).

To introduce my idea to other firms, have I to send a sort kind of portfolio of my new product by mail? Or it is better if I contact them by e-mail or phone to get an appointment where I take all the docomentations of the product with me? My real problem is to find that firm, I mean, is there a possibility to be called by them also if my we are new-born, insperienced, but very hopefull and convinced?

Ilaria

Dont show anything to anybody until you have patent protection of your idea. You have no powere unless you have the patent. When you get the patent then the company will pay for the innovation. Most companies will not pay you for non patented ideas

Once you have a patented idea then you need to do anything you can to get that idea into the hands of the right bike company

Guest celticsun

:ph34r: EXACTLY!

I was told 5 years ago the same thing by a scuba company in Italy while an american scuba company was trying to figure out my design I had in a traveling portfolio. They wanted my new designs but were not willing to pay for them. Always get a Patent on your work even if it is a Poor mans Patent.

A poor mans patent protects yhou but what you have to do if (I dont know about the other countries but in America all you need to do is sent it through the U.S. mail it then becomes a Legal Document.

I dont know what the going rate of a Patent in the states is but I am looking into getting 2 done in a few months from now. If you want to see a movie which is pretty dumb yet funny about this patents (kinda sorta anyway) rent "ENVY"! with Jack Black and Ben Stiller.

celticsun :ph34r:

Guest lambetnorth

Thank you very much to all the people helped me since now!

I'm so happy about this coversation I want to continue to explain all my doubts.

The real problem is that my firm produce bicycle componentns, but now we would like to use the same technology, the same material and the same number of men (we don't want to fire anyone) to produce a design product. Someone told to me this root of design is called "readymade design". I tryied to find more informations about this movement by the web, but I didn't find a lot of things. Just the site reddotdesign.com explain something about it.

Do you know sites where can I find more informations?Do you know other firms that did the same yet?

Thank you all in advance for the patience to understand my bad english speeches!

Bye!

Guest lambetnorth

I want to change my bicycle components firm into a interior design firm, both to let the company survive and produce someting of innovative.