Product Design Forums

Treasurebox
Sign in to follow this  
Guest porsche997

A 13 Year-old's Portfolio

Guest P3NGU1N

I like some of them and others I just think they're bad. I think you should look at your proportions a little more. Your luxury car is way too thin and long. I like your grid sketch and I see a lot of improvement there in terms of proportions and perspective.

I have to stand by my original suggestion of getting more markers and I still suggest steering away from prismacolor markers. Also, please get colors that match. As a rule of thumb get a 1, 2, and 3. that is a light, medium, and dark (shadow) side. This will give you a decent range of values as opposed to two different blues that can both pass as a 3. Getting marker paper will help you blend markers together better as well. The trick is to make sure to work fast so that you're blending while the markers are still wet.

Keep it up!

Guest porsche997

^^I can't afford more markers. I have 5 shades of cool grey, black, a colorless blender, 5 different blues, and one red, all Prismacolor. I have no income and my parents have bought me all the art supplies they'll be willing to buy for a long time, so I probably won't be getting any new markers until the ones I have run out or my birthday.

Guest Marzaday

Its great to see that you are trying really hard and you can see the progression throughout this post.

The best advice I can give you is to copy the real world. Find a picture of a car you like and then try and copy the picture. This will allow you to see real perspective and how the different surfaces and finishes react in a real situation. The more you do this the greater your understanding of surfaces/ texture/ lighting will grow and then soon it will become second nature. All the work shows real promise. Your perspective drawing is coming on well. all you are missing is the fine points and they will come with practice and finding the right tools.

If you learn how to copy exactly then you can start to add your own personal flare (easily). This will also help to make your drawing different and therefore stand out from the rest.

Photoshop is great for rendering as you can simulate marker pens and airbrushing (with the added bonus of the 'undo' button so you can try different strokes).

Go on try it and post the real picture next to your attempt. Its how I started out.

Good luck and I will look to see how it goes.

Guest porsche997

I took the SATs (yeah I'm in eight grade, it's for an accelerated program) and I scored 680ish on all three parts. And since I've shown real interest in making car design my career, my parents are gonna buy me something towards that. I was thinking maybe a set of Copic markers plus the airbrush system for it. They're high quality markers, my dad likes the refillable ink and replacable nibs, and I already own and use an airbrush, so I'm doing research on that. Nothing is bought yet and I'm still deciding what I want. If anyone has any suggestions on better markers, a good place to get the markers, which colors and types I should get, or any thing else I might want to get instead of markers, let me know.

I've been sketching big and loose and I've been working on line value and using long lines.

Greyhound1.jpg

LotusEspritrear.jpg

Maserati1.jpg

Guest porsche997

I'm workin' on an entry for the Michelin Challenge Design. Here's a few sketches, so you can get the idea of what I'm aimin' for. The first sketch is the best lookin' IMO.

MCD2.jpg

MCD1.jpg

Guest porsche997

I asked my parents about a drafting table. We're currently trying to finish our basement, get wood floors, and move my drums, the TV, computer, and all sorts of other stuff around. My dad was actually wondering when I'd ask for a drafting table because I had been using the kitchen table and computer desk. I'd probably get the table after we move the stuff around. My Mom wants to put all my art stuff in the basement where my airbrush is and we might move one of the computers down there, too. Anyway I made a marker/colored pencil rendering of one of those sketches up there^. I think I'm finally getting the hang of blending marker colors and making smooth gradients. I'm pretty pleased with this one.

MorrierCoupe1.jpg

Guest firecracker
I asked my parents about a drafting table. We're currently trying to finish our basement, get wood floors, and move my drums, the TV, computer, and all sorts of other stuff around. My dad was actually wondering when I'd ask for a drafting table because I had been using the kitchen table and computer desk. I'd probably get the table after we move the stuff around. My Mom wants to put all my art stuff in the basement where my airbrush is and we might move one of the computers down there, too. Anyway I made a marker/colored pencil rendering of one of those sketches up there^. I think I'm finally getting the hang of blending marker colors and making smooth gradients. I'm pretty pleased with this one.

MorrierCoupe1.jpg

Everything really came together well in that one, I quite like it.

The proportions are good, and the wheels look great!

But did you notice the few problems with perspective?

The front right side of the car should be smaller than the front left, but instead it is larger. Backwards perspective!

You are talented, and you be fine on your own and work it all out for yourself im sure at a much younger age than all of us!

You seem be wanting to jump into a colour rendering all the time, perhaps trying create work that looks like professional car design concept renderings?

You seem to stick in all the cliche's like the extreme foreshortening, huge wheels etc and the colouring - all before you have the basics.

May I suggest having a little bit more patience, and just focus on your sketching & perspective.

Raw sketches look amazing when done well.

They require only standard paper, and a pencil/biro/crayon which you could probably find for free.

Have doing a pile of concept sketches, you do one tight sketch with good perspective.

You can then trace over this to render it without harming your original sketch. Or scan it, and put a layer on top to do free colouring, or lay paths/masks over it for really polished photoshop style rendering.

Guest porsche997

My parents and I decided on getting a set of Copic markers and the airbrush system for them. I may also get a drafting table in the not-so-distant future. I am also hoping to get a few books or DVDs on automotive or product design (thanks for everyones links and suggestions).

I started with a pencil sketch; worked on shading and hatching, but I couldn't stop there. I really liked the c-pillar on this one, so i made a much bigger, simpler, and messier sketch and used it to make an overlay (the second piece).

Isaac3doorsketch.jpg

Isaac3doormarkerrender1merged.jpg

Guest porsche997

I'm getting Copics and the airbrush system for them. I'm thinking a set of cool grays, a set of warm grays, a five-marker spectrum of red, a light yellow, light blue, and a few earth tones. What do you guys think?

My camera's broken so I can't post the big drawings; there's one really big pencil sketch of a landscape and I'll post it as soon as we get a new camera. I don't want to start coloring it until I get a few or your opinions on the perspective and balance. Theres also some big loose pencil and marker sketches for fun that I'll put up.

This one is one thin paper and the light from the scanner is making the ink splotchy:

lagondascene2.jpg

Just an idea:

MorrierLuxury1.jpg

Another idea; same car both angles:

2futuristiccars.jpg

The Mercedes Benz CLS 55 AMG, the 63's little brother: MercedesBenzCLS55AMG.jpg

A retro styled Monte Carlo to be made if the retro Camaro sells well: MonteCarlofront.jpg

A shading practice:

AudiCoupeSketch2-1.jpg

Guest P3NGU1N

ERRRRGH! I wish I could have gotten back to this post so much sooner! DONT GET THE AIRBRUSH SYSTEM FOR COPIC! It is mediocre at best. You're basically spraying a can of air through the marker tip. You can do that with a regular aircompression system or (if you're ghetto) you can just blow on it with your mouth. It's not worth the money. I've used it all of ONE time, ever. Just use chalk pastel to achieve a smooth gradient. I recommend Prismacolor Nupastel.

As for the drafting table, It's good if you can keep it organized. I've given up on mine. It's just cluttered in modeling stuff. I no longer draw on it. I practically use it for storage. =\ Might be more worthwhile for you.