Product Design Forums

Treasurebox
Sign in to follow this  
Guest porsche997

A 13 Year-old's Portfolio

Guest porsche997

I'm 13 years old and very interested in designing cars. Here's some of my work. Any comments or advice-especially advice- is welcome.

pencilcoupe1.jpg

MorrierCoupes1and2.jpg

MorrierMicrocar1.jpg

Morrier3door.jpg

Isettaii.jpg

Hs.jpg

Nissan240ZPAstel.jpg

Guest tombuttigieg

I remember when i used to draw like that, My advice to you is just keep on practicing and get some work experience if you can, otherwise get different books, anything which can teach you perspective etc. You have great potential and just keep practicing.

Guest firecracker

I was always in a drawing/inventing frenzy up to the age of about 14. I then got into other things such as music, filmaking and science and have only just some back to design now at 23 and joined a university course.

I have exactly the same illustration skill level now as back then, even less probably.

Back then I was always Sketching ideas, plans prototypes , experiments, I couldnt do anything without skecthing it. - lol

I used to get fined by teachers for filling up my excercise books with bicycle designs and comic sketches.

I never had any money, books or computer/internet as a kid so it was all completley out of my head.

You seemed to have been exposed to a lot of design skecthing "cliche's" like the oddly proportioned / contorted car design illustration types. (the first time I saw this type of illustration was past few months)

These are very hard to pull off without going over the top and looking goofy.

I feel you should look at more things in the real world and try to draw basic things realistically and get used to "natural" proportions and perspective.

Then you can combine it with some of the extreme looking car illustration cliche's and strike a balance that looks good and shows some more subtle personal style.

So just try to draw some of your family for example, even in a line drawing/cartoon style.

And some simple car side views trying to get exact proportions of a real car.

Practice with perspective and see if you can manage to draw cars from corner angles realistically too.

- do not worry about shading/rendering just practice proportions & perspective.

Guest firecracker

i rather like that pastel/crayon type one.

your even using highlights quite well, honestly I only just learned what highlights were! and am still about the same level as you on most of those skills.

You are ahead of me on computer rendering, I havent even had a proper go of it yet.

But what ive got a lot of experience with from drawing a lot when I was younger is proprtions.

You really should take a break from drawing cars with big wheels just because its common in a lot of design work.

Forget the rendering/colouring, just do simply drawing of cars where everything is the "real" size.

So much smaller wheels and delicate proportions.

DUDE

for a 13 years old URE PRETTY GOOD!

im serious man.

keep at it!

work on ure porportions.

i think thats your weakest.

at least in the early sketches.

your wheelbase is sometimes good and sometimes off.

and your perspective. is off too.

but keep at it.

giv it a another year or so... and ull be on fire!

Guest porsche997

I hope to make a scale model of this one.

The image was too large to scan all at once so I scanned it in two parts and merged them in photoshop. That explains the crease in the middle.

PinewoodRenderMerged.jpg

Guest P3NGU1N

Good @#$@#$. You're farther along than I ever was at your age. I would definitely work on your perspective and proportions. I think sometimes you focus too much on the wheels and rims of your cars and make them too large. I think it makes some of your vehicles look a little goofy. If you're serious about going into design I would spend some money and get some markers. I personally use the Copic brand however some people prefer Tria or Prismacolor. Go with whatever brand you're more comfortable with (Keep in mind though that Copic and Trias have refills available and prismacolor does not).

Personally I think perspective is what you should work on more right now. Don't be afraid to draw through your cars and post them up. You can get some really interesting sketches with a lot of construction lines because it gives the feel of a technical sketch.

See if you can find highschool level classes that you can take at a local art college or design college. Those classes will generally help you the most because they begin to treat you more like a professional rather than babying you like they do in high school art classes.

Good luck and keep sketchin!

Guest A17

Well at least you have supplies, my parents don't buy me a lot of art supplies to make nice work. I have to rely on cheap pens, and a pack of prismacolor markers and coloured pencils.

being 13 years old, your in grade 7? I remember 2 years ago, in grade 9, my culminating activity was a perspective drawing that required 3 buildings to be drawn to 2 point perspective, an old, a modern and a futuristic. I didn't know it was called perspective until this time, but i understood the concept right away as i had doodled construction lines and made something without even knowing... got a 99% on it, 15% of my final mark. Anyway, the point is, you can start learning perspective now, but eventually you'll need to learn it if you take a Art class somtime in the future.

Guest porsche997
Well at least you have supplies, my parents don't buy me a lot of art supplies to make nice work. I have to rely on cheap pens, and a pack of prismacolor markers and coloured pencils.

being 13 years old, your in grade 7? I remember 2 years ago, in grade 9, my culminating activity was a perspective drawing that required 3 buildings to be drawn to 2 point perspective, an old, a modern and a futuristic. I didn't know it was called perspective until this time, but i understood the concept right away as i had doodled construction lines and made something without even knowing... got a 99% on it, 15% of my final mark. Anyway, the point is, you can start learning perspective now, but eventually you'll need to learn it if you take a Art class somtime in the future.

Yeah I'm in 8th grade and all I've got are prismacolors. :) And I know what you're talkin' about with the houses; I'll probably have to do those in highschool, too.

Oh and here's another sketch:

PorscheCoupeSketch3.jpg

Guest porsche997

Thanks for all the advice! I used perspective grids and foreshortening for this one, so if I did any perspective stuff wrong, please tell me.

PerspectiveCoupe1.jpg