Product Design Forums

Treasurebox
Sign in to follow this  
Guest tombuttigieg

Best Marker To Use!

Guest P3NGU1N

Marker doesn't look good on tracing paper. period. The tracing paper doesnt have enough weight and because markers aren't exactly opaque you can never get a real even coat of ink over tracing paper.

Guest tombuttigieg

Fair enough, I didn't think they looked too bad, but it seems an idea to try. I did work experience at Fords in the design studios, I was what I thought was tracing paper, thats why I opted to use that. Ill try the marker pad and post some more stuff. Cheers

hay,

i use Tria's myself, my tutor showed us a Demo of what he could do with them and it blowed me away at how adaptable they really are. i loved how at the end he added a can of compresed air and a tube and turned it into a Airbrush in 15seconds, just clips right on. was amazing also love the design of the Tria's as well.

Guest jmc

I used to buy Pantone Tria markers but they now are unavailable, I think they stopped porducing them.

I think they have been replaced by Letraset Tria markers (made out of transparent plastic with black tips). I am not really aware of what happened with all that but the new Letraset markers really suck.

I had a set of new ones and old ones in a pencil case and all the new ones were completely dried out after 2 months even though i had used them like 3-4 times and all the old ones were like new. I don't know if this happened to someone else but I promised myself never to buy Letraset's again.

Guest Austin Brown
I used to buy Pantone Tria markers but they now are unavailable, I think they stopped porducing them.

I think they have been replaced by Letraset Tria markers (made out of transparent plastic with black tips). I am not really aware of what happened with all that but the new Letraset markers really suck.

I had a set of new ones and old ones in a pencil case and all the new ones were completely dried out after 2 months even though i had used them like 3-4 times and all the old ones were like new. I don't know if this happened to someone else but I promised myself never to buy Letraset's again.

I can't say that it's happened to me but that's only because I will never buy those crappy markers. After my peers spent so much money on the new trias, the tips crumbled, the ink either leaked, dried up, or otherwise disappeared, and the caps are hard to operate. they also like to roll off tables. What the heck were they thinking? I have some old ones (the previous generation) that I bought at the bookstore (they were on sale because the new letrasets were coming in) and they're the best. Chartpaks are also pretty good, but they go on waaaaaay too dark for my tastes. a 10% gray looks like an 80 or so in copics.

Damm lots of Bad reviews for the Tria's then !! im gona have to check out the Copics B4 i deside on a soal Marker.

At the moment i have 28 Tria markers. "The Product Design 24 Pack" and 4 Loose ( 3 cool greys of variation light , medium and dark, and an Ice blue)

i love the design of the new tria's over the old Pantone models, and i love the Nib system i havnt really expericand any problem with them as of yet, but im still in the .. Carefull stage with them, meaning im scared to death of using them becuase they expensive and im afraid of damaging them or letting the ink run out.

in the begining when i had the 4 loose ones, i Didnt use marker pad. so one of them ran out Very quickly and i was dissapointed at that. but with the 24 Product design ones, ive only been using them with a marker pad and they are working much better for me.

im quite dissapointed at the bad reviews they seem to be getting here on the Forums, because LoL .. i wanted to own the full set of 300 one day :)

Are they Really that Bad a marker ??

Ive never tried the Copics, Are they really that much better ??

Guest ST3

the letraset tria ones are actually being released with a new lid design soon apparently as the drying out problem is a widepread issue!

dont actually see any copic markers here (ireland) only really the letraset tria and promarkers.

also tom u will probably find that it was vellum they were using in ford not tracing paper!

Guest Reena Kay

I know it's kind of a late entry. Haha!~ Oh well.

Tried almost all the marker brands in the market except letraset. Been searching for that around the city, but couldn't find it. =,="

Well, i don't own every brand. Borrowed some from the animation major friends back in dorm. Haha!~ I love copic, but it costs a lot to buy one. I heard my roomate bragging about it, it costs her 30 bucks here to buy one. She then switch to patone. Love patone because it has three tips, love prisma color *total fanatic fan of it* because it doesnt spread a lot that u can control the volume of ink in your drawing even on freshly used ones, and love kure color because of the colors, but it's fattening my pencil case. Huhu!~

And tracing paper is a no-no. tried it once, it happened to be a total chaotic in the end as the ink doesn't really stick on the tracing paper.

Lastly, it doesn't matter about the markers, it's the skill is important. :P

Guest aninde24

hi there, i've just joined this forum then i found this thread.. i'm using copic markers for my study.. anyway for car rendering which one is best? fine/broad markers or should i get the brush type markers? coz i still couldn't get the feel of broad/fine markers while i rendered car... thx..

Guest kronos
hi there, i've just joined this forum then i found this thread.. i'm using copic markers for my study.. anyway for car rendering which one is best? fine/broad markers or should i get the brush type markers? coz i still couldn't get the feel of broad/fine markers while i rendered car... thx..

i think you should stick with the copics...tried copic, tria letraset and prismacolors....prosmacolors have dope grays though!

but copics are the best...just practise practise practise....

check www.zc77.de ...nice copic prices for everything., i buy there all the time.

anyway, I think it depends also on your workflow.

do you work digital/wacom? if yes, just make a tight line sketch, add some gray shades for value/proportion definition and do the rest on the computer.

Guest csven

What I'm using:

For large blocks of color: Chartpaks

For fluid marker sketching: Copics (brush tip)

For blended (with ballpoints or pencils) sketching: Prismacolors

Chartpaks are, imo, the juiciest. With a bit of practice and some good paper, you can get a nice solid block of color without the streaks. The big chisel tip helps.

Copics are juicy, but the tips are smaller than Chartpaks and not as flexible, so for laying in blocks I don't think they're as good. But I do like the brush tip for fast sketching in marker.

Prismacolors are mostly good imo because the tips have a texture that works best when mixed with ballpoint pen and/or Verithins. They're not too juicy, so you can use them on cheap bond paper and not waste all the ink.

In all cases, I tend to stick with greys. I have a ton of color markers from school (still good!), but I rarely render in color as colors skew opinion. Not good at an early stage. I'd recommend students get a limited set of cool and warm greys (10%, 30%, 50%, 70%).

And yes, the Ford paper was almost certainly vellum; specifically Vincent Vellum. Difficult to acquire, but can be ordered afaik.

wrt tracing paper, you can use marker on trace just as you can use it on anything. I knew an amazing interior designer (an instructor) who used marker on mylar with amazing results. He used trace paper too. All depends on how you manipulate the material.

Good discussion! For years I've sketched with a black thin biro and a black medium tip Pentel pen:

http://www.caboodle.co.uk/NETCatProductPag...p;Merchant_Id=1

http://www.cultpens.com/acatalog/Pentel_Sign_Pen.html

I've tried thousands of pens over the years and for a time I couldn't get hold of the sign pens. When I found them again I bought 3 boxes....my first boss was very pleased when I requested a box of 49p Bics instead of the more favoured think liner felt tips!

Back in the day, in the eons of pre history before we had 3D modelling, rendering etc and we used to have to work all night on marker renders I used Magic Markers. Used to get then cut price from the shop at the RCA so I stocked up and built up a collection of the entire range of colours over 2 years. Still got them 20 years on. Most have dried up but some still work. These were the glass ones you could unscrew and top up with lighter fluid. Nothing like a bit of solvent abuse to see you through the night!

The new ones have gone all pen line:

http://www.tradeprintsupplies.co.uk/shop/p...CFZdi4wodkWRXGw

But I still prefer these for the line and ink quality, but like others I rarely do full on colour marker work anymore - no time. A quick shaded grey (warm grey works well for some things, cools for others) with linework suffices, with maybe a hint of blue and yellow.

I tend to use layout paper for marker work - I find the marker papers too thick and prefer the see through qualities of layout paper. The better ones don't bleed much either. I've used Frisk since I graduated.

http://www.graphicsdirect.co.uk/products/v...isk-layout-pads

It's all a bit sad this...never changing your tools in 20 years :-)