Product Design Forums

Treasurebox
Sign in to follow this  
Guest tombuttigieg

Best Marker To Use!

Guest tombuttigieg

Hi People,

I have only just literally joined this forum two minutes ago. I was wondering what the best marker would be to use for car design. I did some work experience at Ford's design studios and they were using Copic markers. I was wondering what Tria Markers where like and which one people would recommend.

Thanks for your time guys

Tom

I believe that Copic markers are slightly better than the Tria markers. This is mostly because I use cool greys very much, and the greys from Tria are very warm. almost brown'ish.

However, if you can live with that I think the line quality is kind of the same.

btw. the 3rd thin tip on the tria markers aren't of much use.

Guest Lilith

i use copics and magic markers, generally with "not important" projects i use magics :blush: i also keep some copic ciaos and wides in my pencilcase

Guest acinonyx

I use kurecolor which is one of the cheapest alternatives...

this year I have tried

Chartpak AD: best brushy feeling which in the industry mostly used

Prismacolor : close to Chartpak feeling with the tip

Copic: good and mostly available in big cities with refill

Tria: hard edge not to your lking if you like soft touch

get a marker which is refillable if you want to use it longer

use your marker on bleedproof paper if you want to extend the life of the felt tip

Guest firecracker
They are all the same. If you can draw then you can draw.

legendary wisdom.

They are all the same. If you can draw then you can draw.

Second part is true, but not necessarily the first part. The Copics I've found (even though I don't own a set) have a much better nib than some markers like the Prismacolors which are generally too broad and have the little tip on one end which is virtually useless and they can't be refilled.

All cars will get you from point A to point B - the fact that you need to know how to drive doesn't change, but it doesn't mean that some aren't better than others.

Guest P3NGU1N

I agree, I've used copic, tria, and prismacolor. I like copic the best, however, it is the most expensive. For the grays the 1-5 transitions are ok but the 6-black are kind of skippy.

Guest tombuttigieg

Cheers for your replies, much appreciated. I bought the tria set because they were in my budget and I'm very happy with them, I was just wondering thought, I use them with tracing paper, would there be a better paper and pen combination? I tried using them on plain A4 paper but it looks rubbish!

tom

Go out and buy a real Letraset (or similar) marker pad. The paper is translucent like tracing paper but is designed for markers - just be aware that marker paper has 2 differently coated sides that will give you different results.

Guest tombuttigieg

Cheers, and i assume that the marker pad would be alright with me using a biro to sketch with?

Yes you can use regular ball point pen on marker paper, but since it's very expensive you don't want to just use it for a regular page of sketches - stick to regular bond paper for that and only use the marker pad when you're doing a marker rendering. It also takes colored pencil very nicely.

Guest P3NGU1N

I don't know about the letraset marker paper. I use canson marker paper and it's not very expensive at all.

Guest tombuttigieg

Cheers for your replies, Yeah I shall have a hunt for this marker pad. To be honest which the tracing paper the tria markers don't look to bad, was just wondering if i would get a better finish with the marker pad, just have to experiment.