Product Design Forums

Treasurebox
Sign in to follow this  
Guest mr_pabs

Painter Vs Photoshop

Guest mr_pabs

Hi guys,

Ive been on this forum a few times but only came properly the other day. Theres a lot of useful stuff on here which has given me some great ideas.

Right, from reading a few topics ive noticed that some of you use painter and others use photoshop & illustrator and i want to know which one is better or better for line art (outlining sketches)or more user friendly etc. From being at uni we only ever used photoshop and occasionally illustrator.

I just wanted to know the major difference is.

Cheers

Painter is more for freehand sketching. If you are creating the linework using a tablet, I would use painter because you can rotate canvas very intuitively. Photoshop is more for masking and coloring. My preferred combo is this: 1) sketch on paper and scan, 2) trace the sketch with a tablet in Painter, 3) render in PS.

Guest lookdadnotunes
Painter is more for freehand sketching. If you are creating the linework using a tablet, I would use painter because you can rotate canvas very intuitively. Photoshop is more for masking and coloring. My preferred combo is this: 1) sketch on paper and scan, 2) trace the sketch with a tablet in Painter, 3) render in PS.

I have a question,

when people talk about rotating the canvas, what exactly do they mean?

I've heard several people say the same thing that you have better rotatation of the canvas in painter. But I don't understand what they mean exactly...

Guest lookdadnotunes
Rotating the canvas means rotating the paper you are drawing on.

but how does this differ to rotating the canvas in photoshop?

It's like realtime rotating and drawing at the same time. It simulates the real world, when you are rotating your real paper a bit for conveniently drawing a line. In painter you can keep pressing a hotkey and rotate your canvas very quickly to any angle you want. In photoshop, rotating a canvas takes some seconds to load the new positioned canvas. I hope this clarifies.

Guest lookdadnotunes
It's like realtime rotating and drawing at the same time. It simulates the real world, when you are rotating your real paper a bit for conveniently drawing a line. In painter you can keep pressing a hotkey and rotate your canvas very quickly to any angle you want. In photoshop, rotating a canvas takes some seconds to load the new positioned canvas. I hope this clarifies.

Perfect, thats exactly what I wanted to know. It seems like a very useful tool. Surely though it cant be long before photoshop integrate the same kind of rotating options.

I suppose it is clear what rotate canvas meant by now, but just in case check out this video. Skip to 3:20

Surely though it cant be long before photoshop integrate the same kind of rotating options.

You'd be surprised. Painter has had it for many years now, and PS still don't. Many hoped that CD3 would be the one, but Adobe officials said that they ditched they idea because it was too complicated to implement because of some graphic card issue.. I don't know. But sooner or later I'm sure it will be there. A cheap alternative to Painter is a little software called Artrage. It has rotate canvas option, and costs only $20. You download it and get the license in your email instantly.