Product Design Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Guest PhilippeV8

Ahrend

Guest PhilippeV8

The idea is to combine a knee-chair, which has a better ergonomic position to sit, with a regular office-chair. I know from experiance that a knee-chair is good for the back but after a few hours of sitting might start to hurt on the knees. Hence the idea to allow for both sit-positions.

This chair is not only for the teachers but for the entire class. People can chose how to sit on them and change if they feel like doing so.

A pneumatic pump to help change position and to hold the chair in the up-position is still missing from the design but will be added soon.

Guest csven

Given that it's for a school I'm curious as to what activity it is the sitter is expected to be engaged. Are they in a lecture auditorium? A lab? A classroom? something else? Or is this a multi-purpose chair, and if so, what are the range of uses and where are the ergonomic studies supporting it in these various uses?

Also, I don't really see "future" in this approach. Can you explain how this particular design addresses the needs of future schools that are presumably unique in some way. This seems very conventional to me.

Guest PhilippeV8

This design is indeed quite conventional. However, I have not seen anything like it before.

The idea of the contest is to design school furniture and concepts which encourage the use of new educational techniques. New teaching methods.

However, I find it very hard for myself to believe in those new found methods and personaly I belive changing the concept of education is a risky business. I believe that the educational system is like an Achilles heel of a society. Mess it up and the entire civilization could be lost in a few generations time.

I'm not saying new methods are bad for sure ... I'm just saying that one should be @#$@#$ sure before changing a thing. Therefore I found it hard to design such a furniture. I'd rather design a furniture for a concept which has been tested and proven to be ok, than just design something with no study proving its worth.

Thus my design being rather conventional.

I think this chair should not be used in a lab. In a lab, I'd rather have bar-stools. This chair, I'd put in a classroom. The knee-chair position would be more ergonomic for working at the desk, while the office-chair position might be more confortable for listening to the teacher and looking at things happening in front of the classroom.

I'm quite sure I won't win the contest with this design fore (as you say) it's not "futuristic" enough, but I don't mind. I kinda designed a chair like I miself would like to have one at home.

Guest csven
The idea of the contest is to design school furniture and concepts which encourage the use of new educational techniques. New teaching methods.

However, I find it very hard for myself to believe in those new found methods and personaly I belive changing the concept of education is a risky business. I believe that the educational system is like an Achilles heel of a society. Mess it up and the entire civilization could be lost in a few generations time.

I'm not saying new methods are bad for sure ... I'm just saying that one should be @#$@#$ sure before changing a thing. ... I'd rather design... I kinda designed a chair like I miself would like to have one at home.

As you're refusing to solve the client's problem, what research can you show to support your unwillingness to properly address the brief to design for the future?

it looks like the panel in the "knee position"

chnages to your back panel in teh "chair position"

would ppl want to put their back on where there fit and legs closest to th3e ground used to be?

Guest PhilippeV8
As you're refusing to solve the client's problem, what research can you show to support your unwillingness to properly address the brief to design for the future?

Perhaps I forgot to mention that this is a project for shool. Thus I find it more important to design something my own teachers are happy with than something which fits in the contest. For quite a while our teachers use contests now and then to get ideas for assignments for us. More in a way to get inspiration for assignments and to use it as PR.

From the feedback I got from my teachers during the brain-storm sessions of this project I know that they are happy with this design. So I guess it should be ok to get me good grades rather than to win that competition.

Guest csven

Perhaps I forgot to mention that this is a project for shool. Thus I find it more important to design something my own teachers are happy with than something which fits in the contest. For quite a while our teachers use contests now and then to get ideas for assignments for us. More in a way to get inspiration for assignments and to use it as PR.

From the feedback I got from my teachers during the brain-storm sessions of this project I know that they are happy with this design. So I guess it should be ok to get me good grades rather than to win that competition.

I just misunderstood the point. When you said "Our task was/is to design a "sit idea for the school of the future", I assumed the goal of the project was to get students to approach the project as if it was a real project; to address issues and solve problems... even if they thought the project didn't make sense (plenty of that in the real world).

Apparently I was mistaken.

However, I like the competition. I'm not a student, but I intend to find time to throw some ideas together. Designing for the "future" is something else most designers don't get to do much after graduation. Guess that's why I find it so amazing that a student wouldn't jump at the opportunity to stretch their creative muscles.

Anyway. Best of luck.

Guest _Robin_

You should win the competition.

I think the knee chair was a good idea. I had one and loved it. You are right that it had some undesirable side effects on the sitter after a while, but so do normal chairs (I find myself slouching or leaning forward after a time).

Consider these points for your presentation:

The potential to combine both of these seating positions into one chair is futuristic in that you are eliminating the need for one extra chair. This is conservation.

Add to this the reality of overpopulation and school overcrowding and you have also designed a space saving feature.

With the ability to convert from one form to another, it may be sensible to add some incremental positions between the final 2 forms. This would help the chair to custom fit many different heights and body types.

Two major problems working agaainst you are that the chairs cannot be nested, which is a big deal breaker for a school I think, plus the fact that there are many many more parts that can potentially break compared to a standard plastic and metal nesting chair.

All of these things are more important to the design than the aesthetics.

We aren't just drawing pictures anymore.

Guest PhilippeV8

Hi Robin,

Thanks for the positive feedback.

You are right about the nesting, being a good feature for schools, lacking on this design. I just hope my teachers won't bring it up during presentation ! :blush:

I did think of adding the option to adapt the chair to people of different heights. However, at this time, it's too late to do this. So I could add this as a "future development note" in my paper.