Product Design Forums

Treasurebox
Sign in to follow this  
cash68

Cintiq Sketches

Guest Gringoire

then try to ad some auxiliary lines to the drivers hldht... and I don't know... imagine that curve... draw it separately... and watch it's lines... and the headlights... lines... from that angle that you drew the car... the passenger headlight is ... to "fat"... try to lift the lower diagonal line from the headlight... just a little bit... this is the way I see it...

I tried to tweak it the best I could but in the process I noticed why it's probably giving you some trouble.

You drew a super long exaggerated headlight on the near side. It's very linear and very straight. Since you drew this on a curved surface, the passenger light needs to more properly follow the curve of the surface that you haven't actually defined. I threw in some section lines to show you what I'm talking about.

I think some of your perspective lines at the front of the car are out of perspective when compared with your wheel axis. That top line of the front grill opening is pointing a little too far down it looks like, and it seems like you based the nearby lines off the same axis.

post-3706-1232141321.jpg

Thanks for the help, but that doesn't look right either. The 'correct' headlights inner corner is almost at the corner of the hood, wheras the other one is a good 6"-8" from the corner of the hood. It's a hard light to get right.

As for the perspective, it's spot on. I'm drawing over a Saleen S7 so my proportions stay the same. Here's where I'm at now, I changed it again and I think I'm closer this time, and I did some basic shading. Going to throw it in photoshop now and add some details....

post-8137-1232143970.jpg

Okay I lied, NOW I'm going to take it in PS. Here's what she looks like before attacking with CS3. :)

post-8137-1232145316.jpg

Fin! Total about 2 hours 30 minutes, maybe 3 hours. Not sure. Spent a good 30-45 minutes trying to fix that stupid headlight.

post-8137-1232147741.jpg

still could use more detail . . . pursuing a realistic style is hard and time consuming but i admire your dedication with this one

so far its looking pretty good but it still needs some more dynamic highlights and shadowing, the vents at the front and back look a little flat and could use some more depth to them, see how the lines at the bottom of the vents almost line up, well i think they should be stepped in a bit more

i know it a lot of work but making the windshield a bit transparent to show the seats makes it look awesome, if not then the winshield should probably be darker like limo tint, right now its too light

i think your headlight is missing a bit of a reflection on it which will make it look more like glass and more realistic

lastly try using white lines on outside corners to define an edge instead of a dark line and you will find that the result is much better

keep up the good work

I'll try punching the contrast of highlights/shadows a bit more later today, and possibly hint at an interior. What do you mean by white lines to define an edge? Have any examples?

Thanks!

- Rob

Working on a small car, here's some linework that isn't finished yet:

post-8137-1232987086.jpg

Had this horrible dream last night. These things were flying in packs, over the ocean as I was driving around at night in a stolen car. I was on the run, everyone was. They were not from our country, maybe not from this planet. I remember they were flying in formation, and they arced downward and dove into the water, causing a massive spray, then flew out a few hundred meters ahead of that. They climbed upwards into the sky, split up, and started diving at the ground. As they dove, the armor opened up and these metal treads with claws started chewing into cars full of people, the sides of buildings, everything. Behind them, they'd spit out a mixture of rubble, blood, and entrails. They made this awful noise. They were unstoppable. I ran into a building and unlike most of my dreams, I couldn't save anyone. I watched as many of the most people in my life were slowly pulled into them and ripped apart. It was horrific. They eventually got me too, it was disgusting. I call them End Machines because that's what they were... the end of the world. They were reducing all signs of life, mankind, and progress into rubble to let the earth start over, from scratch.

End_Machine_by_cash68.jpg

i like your style... feels cellshaded.

anyways, i was wondering, could you try one without sketch lines.

like the final rendering, without the black sketch lines.

i like your style... feels cellshaded.

anyways, i was wondering, could you try one without sketch lines.

like the final rendering, without the black sketch lines.

Thanks. I'll give that a try sometime. Here's something I did last night. Really rough and the perspective is kind of off...but... kinda neat:

post-8137-1245968554.jpg